Mary and Joseph?

So, I’m far from having children but in all probability my firstborn daughter will be named [name]Mary[/name] (unless my husband detests it beyond belief, basically). She would probably go by Mol quite a lot, but also by [name]Mary[/name].

Because of this, I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that one of my all time favourite boys’ names, [name]Joseph[/name] (nn [name]Joe[/name], or even Sepp/Seph), would have to be a middle name. But, would it really be that bad? Would it be like naming my children [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name]? Would [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] stand out to you among several siblings?

[name]Auburn[/name]

I personally would not do it. I’m also not into anything matchy-matchy and that has so many meanings for so many people. What about a variant of the names?? [name]Maryann[/name], [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Katherine[/name] (friend did this and they called her MK), [name]Marybeth[/name], Maryn, [name]Mary[/name] [name]Louise[/name]. If you are going to call her Mol anyway, you could do that I wouldn’t think it was as matchy. If you wanted to stick with [name]Mary[/name] and change [name]Joseph[/name], you could go with [name]Josiah[/name], [name]Josh[/name], or [name]Joshua[/name]. I know it’s so hard when you love names and don’t want to give them up! And honestly, if you have them and want to do it, go for it!

Yes, I have to say I would not do that. Actually, my Grandma [name]Irene[/name]'s parents were named [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] - [name]Mary[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Ben[/name] - and I still get a kick out of it today! They were also quite Catholic, so it was particularly fitting. Ha! [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name], [name]Arthur[/name] and [name]Guinevere[/name] - they’re all amazing name pairs that are pretty much unusable! Bummer, right?

Things you could do:

1. Use [name]Mary[/name] as a first name and [name]Joseph[/name] as a middle name.
  2. Use [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] together.
  3. Use [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Jonas[/name] or so other [name]Joe[/name] name.
  4. Use [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] for girls and find a new boy name.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t have a kids named [name]Joseph[/name] and [name]Mary[/name]. It is VERY similar to naming your kids [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name]; however, I think [name]Joseph[/name] would be great as a middle name.

For myself, I would not want to name two siblings [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] – unless you are a very religious [name]Christian[/name].

Funny story, though; my best friend dated a guy who was one of 13 kids. The parents happened to be named [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name]. (In case you can’t tell, they were very Catholic.) Now all of this would be somewhat interesting on it’s own, however…the clincher is this: every girl in the family was named [name]Mary[/name] ______ ([name]Katherine[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], etc.) and every boy was [name]Joseph[/name] ______ (went by [name]Jay[/name], [name]Joe[/name], [name]Joey[/name], JJ, etc.).

Unbelievable!!! So, in light of that, your idea doesn’t seem so out there, haha. :slight_smile:

I think among several siblings the names would not necessarily stand out. BUT I think if there are only two of them then yes you would definitely get people making all sorts of judgments about your religion, your religious fervor AND cutesy comments which will get tiring after a while.

I think if you love the names however and you don’t mind the attention for them then go for it! MANY families have had [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] listed among their children’s names- A while ago there were really only 5-10 names people regularly used. Look at old census records (esp. for Irish Catholic families) and family trees and you will find this.

I think also using [name]Molly[/name] for the girl’s legal name and calling her [name]Mary[/name] is an option too. Of course if you call her [name]Mary[/name] enough people might assume this is her legal name and make the same comments/judgments as above.

I think because they are both relatively common names though it’s not as bad as [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name]. I would DEFINITELY think [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] was done on purpose where I would likely give [name]Mary[/name] & [name]Joseph[/name]'s parents the benefit of the doubt.

I wouldn’t. I think it would be a little weird, not just because [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] are a famous pair, but mainly because they were a married couple. It’s one thing to hear of a husband and wife named [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name], but I wouldn’t like it if my brother and I shared names with a famous married pair. I also think people might make assumptions about your religious beliefs. As others have said, this isn’t as bad as naming siblings [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] because [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] more common names, but I personally would find a better alternative!

I grew up with a [name]Joseph[/name] who had a little sister named [name]Mary[/name]. It wasn’t a big deal. I think if they are your favorites you should use them, especially if you are going to call [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Joe[/name] or Seph.

I probably wouldn’t, but it’s not quite as bad as siblings named [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name] because there are so many people named those names, they’re not quite as attached to their namesakes as [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name] that only make people think of the character since those names are rarely used.

Personally, I’d keep [name]Mary[/name] and find a different boy name. I’ve never cared for [name]Joseph[/name], there are just too many Joes and Joeys in the world already. I rarely hear the name [name]Mary[/name] anymore, so it feels more interesting.

It’s no big deal to have [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] as siblings. They’re two timeless classic gems that look and sound great together. If you love the names and the religious association doesn’t bother you, then by all means, choose them for your daughter and son. With all of the vintage names coming back into fashion, it surprises me that we don’t hear [name]Mary[/name] more often. [name]Joseph[/name] is being chosen by parents for their sons but poor [name]Mary[/name] is wasting away. Go figure!