Mary or Marie? Your favourites?

So I love the look of [name]Marie[/name] for a girl, but I am from Australia and when I say it with correct mar-ree pronounciation, I feel like I am saying [name]Murray[/name]. While when I have heard it in American films it is pronounced Mer-ree almost. Maybe its just our different accents!
Anyway, I love the sound of [name]Mary[/name], but I don’t know because I was thinking the [name]Marie[/name] spelling would be used to honour someone because I am a huge history buff! Which do you prefer? Ignore my rant, its just I hate how my accent changes things! :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I prefer [name]Marie[/name] spelling. :slight_smile:

I am American living in Australia.

I grew up saying [name]Marie[/name] as muh-[name]REE[/name] (almost like m’[name]REE[/name]). Accent completely on the second syllable and not the first. It feels very soft and gentle and eyelet-lace to me like that.

Aussie say [name]MAR[/name]-ee? My grandmother-in-law is a [name]MAR[/name]-ee. Spelt [name]Marie[/name] all the same, but totally different in sound.

I was told once in [name]Oz[/name] to spell it [name]Maree[/name] if I want Aussies to say it muh-[name]REE[/name] - but then Americans won’t know how to say it. And it looks rather kreatived to me. I’m a huge fan of [name]Marie[/name], the spelling.

Sounds like you get where I am coming from! haha. :slight_smile:

I’m split on whether to use it anyway and just correct people. It’s not so popular on the younger generation that it couldn’t work…?

Of course I have an advantage you don’t, I have the built in “oh, her mother was a Yank and didn’t know any better.” :wink:

Haha! Yes, that’s true! It is a pretty name though!

What about [name]Maren[/name]

I’ve never been a fan of [name]Marie[/name]. [name]Just[/name] sounds old fashion… ironic when compared to [name]Mary[/name], huh? However, being a [name]Mary[/name] myself, I love my name. I think it fits all types of different women. You can never go wrong with the classics either. It’s sweet, simple, girly and cute.

I prefer the spelling and sound of [name]Mary[/name].

I prefer [name]Mary[/name]. Personally, I find [name]Mary[/name] to be a warmer and prettier name.

I prefer [name]Mary[/name], to be honest.