Mary with a hyphen or no Mary?

We’re expecting a boy and a girl on [name_u]December[/name_u]. With all the difficulties this year has brought, I haven’t been in a very happy place to imagine names or get creative. I’m just beginning to sit down and imagine where to find names for our twins, and so far it’s not a success story.

I like the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f] but want to pair it with another name to give her something with more substance and presence. It’s not so much about lenght but [name_f]Mary[/name_f] on its own seems a little forgettable. Other names I like are [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Larissa[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Virginia[/name_f]. All these names come from historic figures we admire and would like to be our daughter’s role models.

However, I guess I should also consider striking [name_f]Mary[/name_f] off the list, my thinking being that if its not good enough to be on its own then we shouldn’t use it for her, and then just use [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Larissa[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] or [name_f]Virginia[/name_f]. If so, which one do you like (if any, of course)?

For our son I have only found two names: [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] and [name_m]Luther[/name_m], but that’s another story not suited for the girl baby names.

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

If you want something that incorporates [name_f]Mary[/name_f] maybe common honor hames for it? [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Maribelle[/name_f], and even [name_u]Marie[/name_u]? I do think it be better to stick to one based on your “role model” list, I like the combo [name_m]Luther[/name_m] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] for the names already suggested, and also love them over a simple [name_f]Mary[/name_f]! In terms of having the baby have two first names I feel hyphen should be lost, combos I like are [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] “nn [name_f]Marcy[/name_f]” and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Larissa[/name_f] “nn [name_f]Marla[/name_f]”

Hope you find you’re girl name and might I suggest tagging the post under sibling name for opinion on both your babies! Good luck we berries are here to help!

3 Likes

Im a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and my birthday is in [name_u]December[/name_u] so I think it is so cool you want to use [name_f]Mary[/name_f]! The name on its own is certainly fine, but [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] would also be super sweet.

1 Like

Wow congrats on your twins :heart_eyes:

I prefer names that aren’t “forgettable” as well.

If you end up using 2 names as the first name, I highly suggest hyphenating. It can be confusing when it’s unclear if a child has 2 first names or 2 middle names!

The only ones that flow, for me, are Mary-Cecilia and Mary-Larissa. Perhaps it’s the -ee and -ah endings.

Mary-Virginia or Virginia-Mary is too many virgins :grimacing:

Mary-Beatrice doesn’t flow for me. I think it’s the syllables… Because Mary-Latrice or Mary-Patrice seem to flow.

I really like Luther & Mary-Larissa :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] on its own because, as you put it, I think it’s a big forgettable. I like @princesspanda’s suggestion of [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]!

If you hyphenate it, I like [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] best.

2 Likes

Thank you friends for your comments. It’s been helpful and calming to read this :butterfly:.

We won’t be using middle names for the children. This is why I think a first name made up of two names would be a good idea if we end up using [name_f]Mary[/name_f] for our girl.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] your boy name choices. How about [name_f]Mary[/name_f] actually in the name like
[name_f]Mariella[/name_f]
[name_f]Maryanne[/name_f]
[name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_u]Maria[/name_u]
[name_f]Kinda[/name_f] thing?
Also there is possibly [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] as a nickname or [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]

1 Like

I love [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Larissa[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. They seem to be more in line with what you’re looking for and fit with your boys names. [name_f]Larissa[/name_f] is especially lovely

1 Like

Mary-[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] is gorgeous!

I love [name_f]Mary[/name_f] hyphen combos - I had [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Nicole[/name_f] on my list for quite a while, and I still am quite fond of it!

1 Like

I appreciate your comments and suggestions very much. Couldn’t just give you a heart and not mention this. So really, thank you!

Yay!!!

1 Like

Mary-[name_f]Larissa[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] are absolutely lovely.
I suggest writing [name_f]Mary[/name_f] as [name_u]Marie[/name_u] - it’s really common in my native language but could switch things up for you (ie is pronounced the same as “ee” or the y at the end of [name_f]Mary[/name_f]). Maybe it’s making spelling too complicated though.
I’d go for a hyphen in your case so it’s clear the two go as one. But in combination it sounds really good.

1 Like

If you like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] combos, go for it! I don’t know anyone with a double barreled [name_f]Mary[/name_f] name with those exact combinations (I know several [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-Catherines, a [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_u]Hunter[/name_u], and I would probably consider [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Blythe[/name_f].)

I would avoid [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] (too Virgin [name_f]Mary[/name_f], which is a heavy name for a girl), but the rest are nice! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is probably [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f].

1 Like

Mary [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] could be Marybee.:honeybee:

3 Likes

I actually love [name_f]Mary[/name_f] on its own and I don’t find it forgettable – it’s so rare to come across a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] anymore. It would have been forgettable several decades ago, but now it strikes me as refreshing. I realize I’m in the minority here, but thought I’d share my two cents. Plus, [name_f]Mary[/name_f] may strike those of us who are teens and adults as forgettable because we have memories of when [name_f]Mary[/name_f] was more common, but I suspect for a baby born this year it will be more striking.

4 Likes

I’ve always been fond of the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], shortened to [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Gwen[/name_f].

Other names I might suggest are [name_f]Marielle[/name_f] and [name_u]Meredith[/name_u].

1 Like

I agree with @hjenee that [name_f]Mary[/name_f] on its own is refreshing, not forgettable. I’d be happy to see it used today. If you definitely want to do a double, I’d go with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]. I don’t think it needs a hyphen if you’re not using a middle name, and, in general, I think hyphens look clunky.

If you decide to only use one name, my favorite options for you are [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Virginia[/name_f].

Your boy options are lovely.

2 Likes

I think that [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is lovely on its own, but maybe you’d like a different version of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] that’s a little more memorable? What about [name_u]Marian[/name_u] or [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]? There are also M names that have similar sounds, like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] or [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. From your list, I love [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Virginia[/name_f], but [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is my favorite!

1 Like

Same! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] on its own much better than the double-barrel varieties. Would love to meet a little [name_f]Mary[/name_f]!!

2 Likes

Mary-[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] and [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] as twins would be amazing! If you want more individuality I would also suggest [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_u]Marie[/name_u], or [name_u]Marion[/name_u].

1 Like

Same. I love [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], though.

1 Like