Masculine Names for Girls

I just recently found out that [name_m]Orson[/name_m] Welles named one of his first born daughter [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] and that instantly caught my attention. I found it really interesting because, even there are some girls who do have masculine name, I wondered if I would do the same myself.

If I had to choose, I would choose [name_m]Garfield[/name_m]. [name_m]Trust[/name_m] me, it’s not after the cat! XD

If you had to choose, what name would you give your daughter. And remember, it has to a strickly masculine name so no unisex names like [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] or [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] or [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]!

And if you’re totally against the idea, please share your opinion

I think [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] could make a really good crossover, especially since it’s not super popular for boys.

Other decent choices:
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u] (this spelling is usually a boy)
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]
[name_u]Cody[/name_u]
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]
[name_m]Declan[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u] (Could be an [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] nn)
[name_u]Reid[/name_u]/[name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
[name_m]Connor[/name_m]

1 Like

Totally against the idea if I’m honest - I have a unisex name, and a popular 1990s/2000s actor shares a name (same spelling and everything) with me, and I was usually teased for it. I also went to school with a girl named [name_u]Tyler[/name_u]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f], who absolutely loathed her name, and actually used to lie and say that the registry spelled her name wrong, and that she was [name_u]Tayler[/name_u]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f] instead (which didn’t last long). I could never bestow a completely masculine name on a girl, nor could I name my son something completely feminine (like [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]), because I don’t see that as being very fair.

I couldn’t do it. I know a couple of women with male names and they’ve had so many hassles that I never had just because of their names. If I were to do it I would pick something like [name_m]Adrian[/name_m] because of the similarity to [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f].

If I HAD to choose a strictly masculine name for a daughter(which I wouldn’t) I assume the following are not unisex:

[name_m]Keith[/name_m]
Wilsen (I happen to dislike the look of the O in [name_m]Wilson[/name_m], but this looks more appealing to me, I’m actually Not trying to be unique.
[name_m]Will[/name_m] ([name_f]Willa[/name_f] or [name_m]Willy[/name_m] could be a cute nn)
[name_m]Joshua[/name_m] (joss, [name_m]Josh[/name_m], [name_u]Joey[/name_u] are adorable)
[name_m]Etienne[/name_m]
[name_m]Julius[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassius[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassian[/name_m]
[name_u]Glenn[/name_u]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]

1 Like

I would NEVER do that! It makes me cringe.

[name_m]Brogan[/name_m] came to mind!

I don’t usually like boys’ names on girls, but [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] are my two exceptions. :slight_smile:

[name_m]Judah[/name_m] & [name_u]Owen[/name_u] would be my picks. I also like [name_m]Cooper[/name_m], [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m], [name_m]Xavier[/name_m], [name_m]Troy[/name_m], & [name_u]Bryce[/name_u] to name a few.

I would never do that, and I think that it would be a very selfish thing to do - no consideration for your daughter that has to wear that name. Most parents are very concerned that they are bestowing her with a name that she will serve her well in her day to day life. You can’t prevent all teasing and bullying, but an all boy masculine name would set her up for all kinds of hassles.

There are a few exceptions - [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] [name_m]Branch[/name_m]‘s daughter [name_u]Owen[/name_u] seems to be doing pretty well with it. But I would never do that to my own daughter. Why, when there are so many beautiful girls’ names from which to choose? What exactly are you proving by naming your daughter [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] or [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]? I just think it has the potential to lead, not only to teasing, but to major headaches with college applications, job applications/resumes, credit reports, passports, etc. etc. And what happens when she wants to live for a year in Spain? I don’t think it would be cute or cool in thirty years.

I like [name_u]Percy[/name_u], [name_m]Ferris[/name_m] ([name_m]Farris[/name_m]), [name_m]George[/name_m] ([name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]), [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_u]Bo[/name_u], Nobel, [name_m]Rooney[/name_m], [name_f]Andie[/name_f], [name_u]Joey[/name_u], [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], and [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] for girls.

Mmm if I had to, I would maybe choose:
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_m]Casper[/name_m] (could be [name_f]Cassie[/name_f]?), [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m], [name_m]Madden[/name_m] or [name_u]Jensen[/name_u]. I suppose [name_m]Madden[/name_m] & [name_u]Jensen[/name_u] are seen as Unisex but they do seem pretty masculine to me, but I kind of like them on girls too.

I am warming up to unisex names, but I would definitely not give my daughter a masculine name (Like [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Charles[/name_m], or [name_m]Henry[/name_m]). However I am not opposed to girls names with masculine nicknames. I’ve always been a little afraid that if I have a daughter and give her an extremely feminine name that she will hate it. Like she’ll be a tomboy (not saying there is anything wrong with that) and want something more gender-neutral or boyish. I think having a girly name with a boyish nickname is good solution to that.

Examples:
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] nn [name_u]Jet[/name_u]/[name_f]Jette[/name_f]
[name_f]Michaela[/name_f] nn [name_m]Mikey[/name_m] or [name_u]Mickey[/name_u]
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f] nn [name_u]Joey[/name_u] or [name_u]Jojo[/name_u]
[name_f]Nicolette[/name_f] nn [name_u]Nick[/name_u] or [name_u]Nicky[/name_u]

I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever do this. [name_u]Ever[/name_u]. I just think with all the gorgeous girl names out there WHY would you select something like [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] or [name_u]Michael[/name_u] or [name_u]Stanley[/name_u] for your daughter? Why sign her up for a life of awkward situation situations, misunderstandings, explanations, and having to always correct someone. It just seems silly and ridiculous and to do something like that is more for your benefit than for hers.

My friend thought it would be cut to name her daughter [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] and call her [name_u]Phil[/name_u]. Is it cute when she’s a baby, toddler, maybe even little girl? Sure, but to go her entire life as [name_u]Phil[/name_u]? No. I’m sorry–it’s not cute. At least in that case, she will have [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] to fall back on, and even the newer nickname of [name_f]Mena[/name_f] if she so chooses. In the case of naming your daughter something masculine, I don’t find it cute, or ingenious, or inventive, or “cool.” I find it ridiculous. I don’t mean to be blunt or rude, but I truly find this sort of thing nothing short of ridiculous.

I’m really glad you all replied :slight_smile: it’s really nice hearing some opinions on it. Like I said before I think the only name I would use on a girl would be [name_m]Garfield[/name_m]. Personally, I’m not sure if I will ever do this when I have a child, but I think it’s interesting so I’m not ruling it out. I honestly rather give my daughter the most manliest name out there than some girly girl princess name.

Some of you who shared used unisex names which is okay. But what I had in mind was straight up boys like [name_m]Olivier[/name_m] or [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it is kinda strange, it’s different and who wouldn’t want their child to be different?

Also I understand those who are against the whole giving your daughter a boys name. Have you ever thought that maybe she would be strong enough to carry on the name?

I’m not on board with this for several reasons:

1. what about the boys? The pool of “boy” names is growing smaller and smaller, because of these “edgy” parents of girls. Boys that were given lovely masculine names Like [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] and [name_u]Emery[/name_u] are going to be told they have girly names.

2. obviously there is going to be a lot of confusion, and probably teasing when a girl is named [name_m]Edward[/name_m] or [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. That goes without saying.

3. there are so many beautiful girl names, that can surely suit any personality, why give her a boy name? I’ll never be able to get over [name_f]Mila[/name_f] Kunis and [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] Kutcher naming their daughter [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m].

4. naming a girl “[name_m]Jeffrey[/name_m]” or “[name_m]Richard[/name_m]” sends a clear message to me, that those parents wanted a boy, and were disappointed (like [name_u]Robin[/name_u]'s father from [name_m]How[/name_m] I Met Your Mother!) Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like it sends the girl the message that being a girl isn’t a good thing, which is the exact opposite of how I would want to raise my daughter! I would want her to be proud of being a woman, and for her to know that being feminine isn’t a weakness.

I love frilly girl names but I think if I had to choose I’d probably pick [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] or [name_u]Elliott[/name_u].

I get it. Some people dislike overly frilly names, which a lot of girl names happen to be. But a lot of boys names scream masculine to me so there are very few I like that are considered strictly masculine, so this is hard. I see a lot of people okay with a feminine names with a masculine nn on a girl, so why not the other way around? I think it’s extremely unfair to say that parents who name a girl a masculine name are setting them up for failure. You could name a girl a girly name and she’d hate it. There’s no telling how the girl will feel about. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because you felt a certain way doesn’t mean your child, someone else’s child will feel the same exact way as you do.

Some boy names on girls I have either met or just like the idea of are…
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m]- Nn [name_f]Andi[/name_f] or [name_u]Drew[/name_u] are sweet
[name_m]Nicolai[/name_m]- really like [name_u]Nico[/name_u] or [name_u]Nikki[/name_u]
[name_m]Josiah[/name_m]- [name_u]Jo[/name_u] or [name_u]Josie[/name_u]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m]- always adored [name_u]Bennie[/name_u] on a girl
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]- [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]/[name_f]Olive[/name_f]/[name_f]Liv[/name_f] are so cute as nn’s, and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] to me would be refreshing to hear on a girl beside another [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]- I like that [name_f]Mila[/name_f] and [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] thought outside of the box. [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] I love on a girl and [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] seems fresh to me on a girl.

Some unisex names I have only met as boys or view as masculine that I could see on a girl are…
[name_u]Percy[/name_u]/[name_u]Perry[/name_u]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_u]Barry[/name_u]
[name_m]Charleston[/name_m]/[name_u]Charley[/name_u]
[name_u]James[/name_u]/[name_u]Jameson[/name_u]
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]

Yes, she may be strong enough - but then again she may not, or if she is, she may wish she had been spared the battle. Any time you do something so completely out of the social box - like naming a daughter [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] - you’re taking a gamble. To each their own, of course, and if in the future you decide you absolutely must name your daughter [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] or [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], it’s your birth certificate to fill out and you’ll be the one with pen in hand. But I just think there are many, many avenues to different and unique that would be less controversial and potentially less difficult for a little girl when it’s already hard enough to figure out who you are and where you fit it.