Masculine Names for Girls

I have a lot of gender-benders on both my boy & girl list. Some of my fave boy names are usually considered 100% girl while some of my girl names are seen as 100% male. But, my problem with gender-bending is that most people only go one way. They are all for male names on girls but wouldn’t dare give their son a female name. Are there any “straight up” girl names on your boy list? Why or why not?

This boy-name-on-girl thing goes deeper and many don’t see or just don’t want to admit that there is an air of misogyny to it. It’s bad for both boys & girls to be feminine but being masculine is totally OK. Why is masculine better than feminine? Why are girly, frilly names looked down on? I’ve never read a post saying ‘I don’t like manly, burly boy names’. And it’s not just about style/taste because there are tons of non-frilly female names and truly androgynous names.

I do like [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] as a first, and am alright with [name_u]James[/name_u] as a middle. Strictly masculine, though? [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] or [name_m]Ieuan[/name_m]. I’m not particularly fond of the idea, because at the moment I am having a blank on boys names and there aren’t enough of them as it is. But [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] are sweet <3

I’ve never really thought about that. It took me awhile to truly understand your point but I get it. I guess it can be considered misogynistic giving a girl a boys names for reasons like the parents wanted a boy or if they really dislike feminine names. Maybe that was the cases with Welles and his daughter. It could be an entirely different reason like for [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] and [name_f]Mila[/name_f]'s daughter. Maybe they just really liked the name [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] and thought it suited their daughter.

Besides the point, I don’t think masculine names are better than feminine names. And I do feel gender bending does go one way, but I don’t actually know why. Maybe it’s enticing for some to name their daughters [name_m]William[/name_m], just to be different. Though, I don’t think parent would want to name their son [name_f]Brianna[/name_f] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I honestly think that’s cruel.

I didn’t mean to offend you or anyone with what I said about girly names. There are a lot of non-frilly names and also truly androgynous ones to choose from and I don’t have to pick boys names just for her to be different. I hope I made sense…

Your question made me think of the actresses [name_u]Glenn[/name_u] Close and [name_u]Michael[/name_u] Learned. Obviously they thrived with boys names despite their being females.

That said, I think giving a strictly male name to a little girl is fraught with the similar problems that giving a strictly female to a boy has. Despite feminist ideals, most people wouldn’t name their sons [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], or [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] because they know their beloved boy would suffer teasing as a child and, perhaps, incorrect assumptions as an adult. Knowing a little girl something like [name_m]David[/name_m], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], or [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] sets her up for a lifetime of correcting people about her gender and having people makes false assumptions about her just based on her name.

I also don’t really see the point. if you like the name [name_u]Michael[/name_u] or [name_u]Glenn[/name_u] and have a little girl, why not use [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] or [name_f]Glenda[/name_f]? I do think little boys can also be named variations of females names - if you like [name_f]Grace[/name_f], why not name a son [name_u]Gray[/name_u], [name_m]Grayson[/name_m], or even [name_f]Gracen[/name_f]. If you like [name_f]Emily[/name_f], why not use [name_m]Emil[/name_m] or [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] for a boy?

As for your choice of [name_m]Garfield[/name_m], while it currently does seem masculine, I see it as one of those surname likely to become unisex names if it ever became popular - names like [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_u]Taylor[/name_u], etc.

Masculine Names for Girls

John
Ethan
Jonathan
Anthony
James
Joseph
Ezra
Tyler
Spencer
Mason
Griffin
Matthew
Zach
Zachary
Sullivan
Gianni
Jared
Jensen
Jeremy
Wyatt
Lamar
Maxwell
Michael
Frank
Landon
Chandler
Campbell
Ramsey
Flynn
Ryker
Liam
Oliver
Sebastian
Daxton
Xander
Zane
Knox
Ryder
Ryker
Jagger
Gunner
Axel
Cassius
Cruz
Rocco
Maverick
Falcon
Dax
Damon
Tom
Tim
Tommy
William
Andrew
Lincoln
Austin
Adam
Bryson
Jason
Nathan
Justin
Diego
Roberto
Robert
Bobby
Ivan
Maddox
Jayce
Rowan
Giovanni
Brady
LeBron
Emmanuel
Antonio
Andy
Victor
Finn
Patrick
David
Joshua
Jacob
Edward
Mark
Chris
Christopher
Richard
Graham
Samuel
Dean
Alejandro
Marcus
Nicolas
Adrian
Ronnie
Emilio
Kyle
Dwayne
Johnson
Kenneth

I think I would go for [name_m]Felix[/name_m] or [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. [name_m]Felix[/name_m] has such a soft sound and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is a girls name in some countries anyway.

I don’t think I would actually do this but it seems popular at the moment so I doubt a girl really would have problems with it. It’s gonna be a normal thing for this generation.

My thing is that I have a lot more of a liberal idea of what a unisex name is. I think word names are fair game for all and maybe unpopularly I think profession and surname names are also fair game.

I also find that most of the names I like in modern style I like for both. For example I love [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] for both genders I’d use it just as happily for a boy as I would a girl. Same with names like [name_m]Halston[/name_m] , [name_u]Sterling[/name_u] and [name_u]Chandler[/name_u].

For this challenge I’d use [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] , [name_u]Bentley[/name_u] or [name_u]Austen[/name_u] for a girl and [name_f]Eva[/name_f] or [name_u]Kendall[/name_u] for a boy.

1 Like

[name_u]Kyle[/name_u] [name_m]Egan[/name_m] [name_m]Richards[/name_m]

I once came across a girl named [name_m]Stewart[/name_m] (didn’t meet her in real life, I just had to type up her registration info). She was a college age girl in a large sorority and out of curiosity I pulled up her Facebook where she also did indeed go by [name_m]Stewart[/name_m] Lastname. I would be interested to hear her experience - she apparently embraced her name while also being a stereotypically normal young woman.

Personally I wouldn’t want to give my own daughter a masculine first or middle because I’ve heard so often women who have those kinds of names complain about wanting something more feminine. And I wouldn’t want to give any of my kids an extremely difficult-to-wear name.

But I’m curious about the back story of [name_m]Stewart[/name_m]'s name, and other women with similar names. Parents give their kids all kinds of names for all kinds of significant personal reasons (not just “to be edgy”) and I’m glad our culture today is more accepting of non-mainstream naming practices than ever before.

I couldn’t do it personally. It is all a bit too misogynistic for me at the moment.

I don’t see any difference in naming a girl [name_u]James[/name_u] to naming a boy [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] but one is acceptable and the other is cruel. If it’s okay for a female [name_u]Finley[/name_u]’s parents to be different, not like feminine names or think it suits her then a male [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]’s parents should be able to say the same. Sadly female [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Finley[/name_u]’s names are seen as strong where as male [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] “will get teased” for their ‘weak’ names.

Hopefully things will even up over time and society will be more accepting of both sides of the coin. It’s definitely something that has to work both ways for me to be on board with it.

ETA: And I’ve just realised this post is almost 5 years old lol.

[name_f]Every[/name_f] time someone asks about masculine names on girls, I feel like they have opened a can of worms. Not blaming the OP, of course, I think it’s actually a really interesting question, but people have such divisive opinions it’s hard to discuss it. Having said that, I have a lot of opinions and will make this unnecessarily long, so bear with me.

First off, it’s important to remember many of the names that are unisex today, were exclusively masculine before. Names like [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], [name_u]James[/name_u], were well-established boy names, while now they are gender-neutral. [name_m]Even[/name_m] names that were exclusively masculine and are now mostly known as girl names, like [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_u]Hillary[/name_u], [name_u]Allison[/name_u], [name_u]Lesley[/name_u], etc. When was the last time you questioned a girl named [name_u]Allison[/name_u] when in the late 1800s it was exclusively male? What I’m saying is, names change, times change. It is not strange to find a girl named [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] anymore. Or a boy named [name_f]Sue[/name_f].

However, the thought that girls can have masculine names but boys can’t have feminine names is very problematic, imo. Giving a girl a frilly, feminine name will not make her less strong, intelligent or capable than if she had a masculine name. Boys will not suffer endless years of bullying if some girls are named [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] or [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. The belief that masculine names are better just says to me that boy=good, girl=bad; boy=strong, girl=weak. I hate it when people complain about boy names being stolen by the girls. They are not. You just need to overcome your internalized misogyny and accept that for you, a boy needs to have a super masculine name because they need to be super masculine, and being a girl is being weak. A boy named [name_u]Emery[/name_u] can love sports, cars, and all ‘boy’ things. While a boy named [name_m]Richard[/name_m] can love the color pink, wearing makeup and playing dress-up. Maybe just teach your kids to not make fun of people, and teach them to be proud and confident.

Wow. That was way too long. Sorry! I guess what I’m trying to say is that girls are strong, good leaders, and assertive; boys are sensitive, caring and good listeners. The name won’t change the person. Choose the frilliest, most girly-girl name you can, choose the most masculine name you can. Choose a name you love and have a connection to, it doesn’t matter.

Okay Rant over. Now the fun part. I do not like a lot of typicall “masculine” names on girls, but because I don’t like those names. I do not care for [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], [name_m]Richard[/name_m], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], [name_m]John[/name_m] or [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. But if I had to pick, I’d chose [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]Scott[/name_m], [name_u]Mason[/name_u].

What about typically girl names on boys?

1 Like

[name_u]Mason[/name_u]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_u]Chase[/name_u]
[name_u]Hunter[/name_u]
[name_m]Lawson[/name_m]
[name_m]Cooper[/name_m]
[name_m]Gallagher[/name_m]
[name_m]Llewellyn[/name_m]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_m]Lincoln[/name_m]

1 Like

I love unisex names on girls! (Maybe that’s because my name is also unisex). A few of my biggest name crushes are [name_m]Clarke[/name_m], [name_f]Toni[/name_f], [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] and [name_u]Spencer[/name_u].
When referring to some famous female actors, there are names like [name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_u]Drew[/name_u] and [name_u]Glenn[/name_u] which I think are awesome!

I also love the names [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] and [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] on boys! Unfortunately, I cant use them.

Taking surnames, word, nature & place names out of the picture I’d choose:

Aslan, [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_m]Koa[/name_m] or [name_m]Keir[/name_m] for a girl.

[name_f]Jade[/name_f], [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], [name_f]Lore[/name_f], [name_f]Thomasin[/name_f], [name_f]Trilby[/name_f] or [name_u]Yael[/name_u] for a boy.

1 Like

I don’t mind masculine names on girls at all! I have a ton of girl friends that have boy names and they’ve never said they hate it or been bullied bc of it.

If I had to pick strictly a boy name I think I’d pick Maddox. I’ve never seen anywhere that there’s a girl named this. I also like Ryder (but I named my dog this so won’t be using) and Grey

I don’t like girl names on boys because I’ve seen boys being bullied for it. I don’t think they’d fit in as well as a girl with a boy name would.

Girl names for Boys

[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_f]Sofia[/name_f]
[name_f]Camila[/name_f]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_u]Madison[/name_u]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Layla[/name_f]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_f]Zoey[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_u]Addison[/name_u]
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Bella[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_u]Skylar[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u]
[name_u]Everly[/name_u]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f][name_u]Nova[/name_u][/name_f]
[name_u]Genesis[/name_u]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]
[name_f]Samantha[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f][name_u]Willow[/name_u][/name_f]
[name_f]Kinsley[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Aaliyah[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariana[/name_f]
[name_u]Allison[/name_u]
[name_f]Gabriella[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Serenity[/name_f]
[name_f]Autumn[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Hailey[/name_f]
[name_f]Gianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Valentina[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]

[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexa[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_u]Emery[/name_u]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Arianna[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Kaylee[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Brielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u]
[name_u]Rylee[/name_u]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_f]Melanie[/name_f]
[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u]
[name_u]Reagan[/name_u]
[name_f]Adalynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Liliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Aubree[/name_f]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Raelynn[/name_f]
[name_f][name_u]Maria[/name_u][/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Ximena[/name_f]
[name_u]Arya[/name_u]
[name_f]Leilani[/name_f]
[name_u]Taylor[/name_u]
[name_f]Faith[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Kylie[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyla[/name_f]
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]
[name_f]Amaya[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Brianna[/name_f]
[name_u]Bailey[/name_u]
[name_u]Andrea[/name_u]
[name_f]Khloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]
[name_f]Melody[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Norah[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Valeria[/name_f]
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]
[name_f]Adalyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Ryleigh[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Emersyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f]
[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliana[/name_f]
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Valerie[/name_f]
[name_f]Alina[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_u]Reese[/name_u]
[name_f]Aliyah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_u]Sydney[/name_u]
[name_u]Jordyn[/name_u]
[name_u][name_f]Eloise[/name_f][/name_u]
[name_f]Trinity[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]

[name_u]Kimberly[/name_u]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Sara[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Harmony[/name_u]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_u]Remi[/name_u]
[name_u]Teagan[/name_u]
[name_u]Alexis[/name_u]
[name_u]London[/name_u]
[name_u]Sloane[/name_u]
[name_f]Laila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Sienna[/name_f]
[name_f]Elliana[/name_f]
[name_u]Londyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Ayla[/name_f]
[name_f]Callie[/name_f]
[name_f]Gracie[/name_f]
[name_u]Josie[/name_u]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Daniela[/name_f]
[name_f]Everleigh[/name_f]
[name_f]Mya[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
[name_f]Summer[/name_f]
[name_f]Alana[/name_f]
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Alaina[/name_f]
[name_u]Mckenzie[/name_u]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f]
[name_u]Presley[/name_u]
[name_f]Journee[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_f]Brynlee[/name_f]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Ana[/name_f]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_f]Mariah[/name_f]
[name_f]Nicole[/name_f]
[name_f]Brooklynn[/name_f]
[name_u]Payton[/name_u]
[name_u]Marley[/name_u]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_u]Harley[/name_u]
[name_f]Adelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Alivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Vanessa[/name_f]
[name_f][name_u]Journey[/name_u][/name_f]
[name_f]Makayla[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Adaline[/name_f]
[name_f]Catalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Alayna[/name_f]
[name_f]Julianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Leila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Adriana[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Jayla[/name_f]
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lia[/name_f]
[name_u]Dakota[/name_u]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_f]Selena[/name_f]
[name_u]Blakely[/name_u]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f][name_u]Camille[/name_u][/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]

[name_f]Malia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Samara[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Mckenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Briella[/name_f]
[name_f]Izabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Hayden[/name_u]
[name_f]Raegan[/name_f]
[name_f]Michelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Angela[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Kamila[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_u]Aspen[/name_u]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_u]Kendall[/name_u]
[name_f]Elaina[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Kali[/name_f]
[name_f]Destiny[/name_f]
[name_f]Amiyah[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Cali[/name_u]
[name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]
[name_f]Myla[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariella[/name_f]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlee[/name_f]
[name_f]Daleyza[/name_f]
[name_f]Nyla[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
[name_u]Zuri[/name_u]
[name_f]Aniyah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Leia[/name_f]
[name_f]Melissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Amina[/name_f]
[name_f]Giselle[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_f]Annie[/name_f]
[name_u]Logan[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilliana[/name_f]
[name_u]Haven[/name_u]
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Amira[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelynn[/name_f]
[name_u]Makenzie[/name_u]
[name_f]Stephanie[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Arielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Evie[/name_f]
[name_u]Lyric[/name_u]
[name_f]Alessandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Gabriela[/name_f]
[name_f]Paislee[/name_f]
[name_f]Raelyn[/name_f]

What about [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], [name_m][name_u]Ezra[/name_u][/name_m], [name_u]Carter[/name_u], [name_u]Murphy[/name_u] and [name_u]Noah[/name_u].

I know [name_f]Sydnee[/name_f] and [name_m]Justin[/name_m] Mcelroy had daughters [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_m][name_u]Cooper[/name_u][/name_m] which I think are cute!

ETA after reading the thread: I honestly don’t care about the gender of names too much? I think we’re moving past it to a degree and I think it’s fine to do the opposite- traditionally feminine names on boys. It’s definitely a choice but I think we’re breaking down a lot of barriers on what is considered “feminine” and “masculine” which I think is generally a good thing. I do think there is some misogyny with being ok with a girl having a masculine name (because masculinity is good and strong) but not being ok with giving a boy a feminine name (because femininity isn’t as valued and is seen as silly or embarrassing). I personally like unisex names especially names considered more “unisex but feminine” ([name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]) on boys and “unisex but masculine” on girls ([name_u]Spencer[/name_u], [name_u]Tatum[/name_u], [name_u]Reese[/name_u], [name_u]Jude[/name_u]). If I had kids I probably would give them gendered names because those are some of my favorites but I don’t think it’s something we need to be prescriptive about.

I live in the American [name_u]South[/name_u], and I actually don’t think it’s weird at all for girls to have strictly masculine names. There is a fairly strong tradition here of using last names/maiden names as first names across both sexes. Off the top of my head, between my own friends and their kids, I know women/girls named [name_m]Ferris[/name_m], [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] (two), [name_u]Drew[/name_u], [name_u]Tyson[/name_u], [name_u]Blake[/name_u], [name_u]Dylan[/name_u], [name_u]Billie[/name_u], [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], and [name_m]Miller[/name_m]. On the other hand, I also know men/boys named [name_u]Shannon[/name_u], [name_u]Leslie[/name_u], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], and [name_u]Kerry[/name_u].

This trend of giving traditionally male names to girls is absolutely rooted in misogyny and if you give your daughter a boys name, you are absolutely perpetuating that, whether you mean to or not.

It would be different if it worked both ways and people were just as happy to give girls names to boys, but it doesn’t. Why are masculine names somehow seen as better, stronger, more appropriate than feminine names?

So I think that there is clear cultural bias that pushes that it’s ok for girls to have boys names, but not the opposite. I think it’s an aspect of how patriarchal ideas have impacted our society. But I don’t think that the people who do it are misogynists, because that’s quite an extreme step. I think at all points in time I would encourage parents to consider why they find masculine names on girls is cute but would scoff at feminine names on boys. But that is distinctly not the same as claiming that it in itself is a misogynistic act.

If I had to give a ‘purely masculine’ name to a girl/to myself, I’d go for [name_u]James[/name_u] because I love it. If not [name_u]James[/name_u] then I’d go for [name_u]Spencer[/name_u], which may technically be unisex these days?
If I were going to give a ‘purely feminine’ name to a boy then I’d use [name_u]Ruby[/name_u].