Masculine "Ton" Names

See the results of this poll: Most handsome ton name?

Respondents: 41 (This poll is closed)

• Wellington : 7 (17%)
  • Barrington : 1 (2%)
  • Ellington : 12 (29%)
  • Kingston: 21 (51%)

Out of those I like [name]Kingston[/name]. [name]Wellington[/name] just makes me think of beef [name]Wellington[/name] and the boots.

Have you considered [name]Langston[/name] or [name]Braxton[/name]?

[name]Kingston[/name], I like the nn [name]King[/name]

I love [name]Ellington[/name] too because of the potential nn, [name]Duke[/name]. However I’m soooo tired of all the little [name]Ellie[/name]'s running around that I’m averse to [name]El[/name]- names.

[name]Wellington[/name] - Eh, I think of either beef wellington (which is foouuuul) or Wellingtons/wellies as in rain boots. Not handsome at all, just kind of silly.
Barrington - Very place namey. Not so much handsome as…overdone? Pretentious? Whatever the masculine version of frilly is.
[name]Ellington[/name] - [name]Duke[/name] [name]Ellington[/name] is a great namesake, but [name]Ellington[/name] on its own is not particularly handsome.
[name]Kingston[/name] - I think of [name]Kingston[/name], [name]Jamaica[/name], but it doesn’t sound as place namey as Barrington. I think with a “ton” name, brevity is better, and this fits the bill. This would be my pick.

Other suggestions. Seconding PP, [name]Langston[/name]. Also, [name]Braxton[/name], [name]Clayton[/name], [name]Fenton[/name], [name]Trenton[/name], [name]Upton[/name] (as in [name]Sinclair[/name], could be a cool namesake), [name]Sutton[/name], [name]Hamilton[/name].

[name]Wellington[/name] - Beef, galoshes.
Barrington - “[name]Barry[/name]”? NMS.
[name]Ellington[/name] - Would much prefer less fussy [name]Elliot[/name].
[name]Kingston[/name] - Best of the bunch, far and away.

Another vote for [name]Kingston[/name], which really does work. [name]Ellington[/name] is usable thanks to the jazz musician; the others are either stereotypes, food dishes, dashing admirals who won the Battle of Trafalgar, or a combination of the above.

Most -ton names sound like place names or surnames to me, and are much too fussy for a fn (with the exception of the two-syllable [name]Kingston[/name]). I love them in the middle spot, and as [name]Wellington[/name] is one of my husband’s great heroes, I’m considering it as a mn if we have a son in the future.