Matching Sib Names?

I notice that on this site, people seem to find it important to have their children’s names match in style. I dont really understand why that should matter though. I suppose it is likely that styles would match simply because of parental tastes (I probably gave my first baby a traditional name because I like traditional names and so my 2nd baby will also have a traditional for that reason). But I dont see why if tastes change parents should stay on the same path. Whats the difference? Why would [name]Madelyn[/name] be a better name for [name]Elizabeth[/name]'s sister than [name]Madison[/name]? (Unless you like [name]Madelyn[/name] more of course but that is separate from [name]Elizabeth[/name]). [name]Just[/name] wondering…

I guess for me it would just be important that the styles don’t clash or sound silly when you say them all together. For instance, lets say someone had daughters named [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name] (not matchy by any means but both very feminine) and that person named their third daughter… [name]Harley[/name]. Wouldn’t everyone assume that [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name] had a new baby brother instead of a sister?

Agreed. I don’t have any qualms with sibling names that don’t “match” exactly, but I definitely don’t want the names of my children to sound bizarre together.

For example, the other day I heard of sisters named [name]Lily[/name] and … [name]Hunter[/name].
Poor girl.

I like names that flow together. If a mother is introducing her children to another mother, it would flow nice if the names were allike in some aspect, such as [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]William[/name] are very traditional but still popular names. In the other, [name]Harley[/name], [name]Jamison[/name] and [name]Katherine[/name] sounds a tad odd. It it was [name]Harley[/name], [name]Jamison[/name] and [name]Ainsley[/name] sounds a little better matched. [name]Just[/name] the same general style works, not exactly same letters or anything.

I guess I see what you’re saying about people than thinking baby [name]Harley[/name] is a boy based on the other 2 kids’ names, but still lol

I agree with the above posters about the femininity or masculinity of the names needing to match, and I think having a classic name with a very modern one ([name]Daphne[/name] and Shaelynn) would seem strange. Also, if the names don’t sound good said together that could be a problem.

One child might feel left out, too, if their sibling got a very unusual name, and their’s was in the top 10.

I’m quite fond of when parents pick a subtle theme along which to name their children, not obviously all flowers or all gemstones etc., but perhaps all from mythology, all astrological, all Welsh, or all subtly linked to flowers ([name]Violet[/name], [name]Anthea[/name] and Celandine, perhaps). [name]Just[/name] examples.