Mateo for non-hispanic/Latino boy...

My husband is Turkish and I’m American. I love the name [name_m]Mateo[/name_m]. But will everyone think my little lightly olive skinned boy is Mexican or Hispanic or of Latin heritage? And is that a weird thing, since he’s not?
In Europe it’s a very common name for all ethnicities, but I’m wondering if [name_u]America[/name_u] has a different thought process?
Thanks for your input!

I think it’s okay. [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] is a universal name. People will ask, I guess, if he has Mexican, Hispanic or Latin heritage, but I think it’s not such a big deal. [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] is a great name, it’s so original! Go for it, darling!

[name_m]Mateo[/name_m] is specific to Hispanic culture and I think it would be inappropriate to use it if you are not. Use a Turkish or American variation, but I think using a variation of a caulture you are not a part of is inconsiderate. Although I am a white woman and I think really the only opinions that matter are those of Hispanic women.

I’m a Hispanic myself, and I’d say use it! [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] is a very handsome name and I think it could work for any child of any nationality/ethnicity/whatever. I don’t think it’s inconsiderate at all, more or less if I met a [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] who had non-Hispanic parents, I would just think they liked the name.

I think it’s fine you should use what you love

Name your kid whatever you want. I lived in Latin [name_u]America[/name_u] and there are plenty of people down there with Anglo names, Germanic names, and very weird variations (hilarious misspellings) thereof. They don’t give a thought to this silly idea of “cultural appropriation” and neither should you! Congrats on your new arrival.