Mathilda and....

My darling daughter is 6-year-old [name]Mathilda[/name] H”l”ne and after years of secondary infertility and various treatments, due to a wonderful, successful IVF cycle, she is about to be a big sister in [name]March[/name]! We are overjoyed!

We do not want to find out the sex of the baby until day of birth! We love to be surprised and were surprised with [name]Mathilda[/name] as well!

What name do you feel goes best for a child with a lovely older sister [name]Mathilda[/name] H”l”ne?

Girls… middle name is set to be [name]Mireille[/name].
[name]Josephine[/name] - “[name]Effy[/name]”
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]/[name]Vivianne[/name]…[name]Vivian[/name] seems most popular here.

Boys… middle name will probably be [name]Philipe[/name]… Fil-eep.
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] (edited to add that this is my maiden name!)
[name]Leo[/name]

NOTE: We are not American and we will be heading back to [name]England[/name] [name]July[/name] 2010, so please consider that. Also, [name]Mireille[/name] and [name]Philipe[/name] are my in-laws who both passed away this year.

Thank you!

Are you looking for a French name to match [name]Mireille[/name]? Because many of the names you have selected for a girl are French. [name]Mathilda[/name] is [name]German[/name], yet [name]Helene[/name] is French - does this matter? By the way, [name]Mathilda[/name] has a beautiful name!

Of your selections, I most prefer [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Mireille[/name], but I like [name]Josie[/name] rather than [name]Effy[/name]. Clearly, nicknames are your decision, though. I don’t care for [name]Nora[/name] at all, especially not with [name]Mathilda[/name], and, although I really adore [name]Fiona[/name], I don’t think it matches well with [name]Mathilda[/name] in the slightest.

Of your boy names, I think [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Philippe[/name] sounds best, but I prefer the name [name]Tobias[/name] and its [name]Toby[/name] nickname. [name]Hugo[/name] just reminds me of huge…

I wasn’t sure if you were looking for suggestions, but can I throw a few out there?

[name]Adelheid[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Johanna[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]

[name]Arlo[/name] [name]Philippe[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] [name]Philippe[/name] - sounds like royalty!
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Philippe[/name] - another name of royalty!
[name]Lukas[/name] [name]Philippe[/name]
[name]Stefan[/name] [name]Philippe[/name]

Best of luck in choosing a name for your little bundle of joy!

Well… while I am English born and husband is French born, I have a Swedish mother, [name]Mathilda[/name] also being the preferred Scandinavian spelling. We’re just looking for a mix of all of our heritage I suppose.

I’m not really looking for additional suggestions. But yours are lovely!

I think [name]Eloise[/name] or [name]Fiona[/name] are wonderful. I love both names and they go great with [name]Mathilda[/name], which I also love!

For a boy, I think [name]Hugo[/name] would be best!

I would second the vote for either [name]Josephine[/name] or [name]Eloise[/name] for a girl or for [name]Tobias[/name] or [name]Hugo[/name] for a boy. Any of those choices would be wonderful for a sibling for [name]Mathilda[/name]. I think I would lean a little toward [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Tobias[/name].

I love the name [name]Mathilda[/name] [name]Helene[/name], and I also love the middle name [name]Mireille[/name]!

[name]Josephine[/name] - “[name]Effy[/name]”: Before reading this, my first thought was [name]Josephine[/name]! [name]Josephine[/name] would be lovely with [name]Mathilda[/name].

[name]Eloise[/name]: Beautiful, and also goes well with [name]Mathilda[/name]

[name]Nora[/name]: This is the only one I don’t like on your list. It’s too much of a nickname, and doesn’t have the same exotic appeal of the others. What about as a nickname for [name]Eleanor[/name]?

[name]Fiona[/name]: I also really love this! [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Mathilda[/name] are perfect, and [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] is a gorgeous combo!

[name]Vivienne[/name]/[name]Vivianne[/name]: I really like [name]Vivienne[/name], too!

[name]Tobias[/name]: I’m not really a fan, but it’s really nice with [name]Mathilda[/name]!

[name]Hugo[/name]: Not very usable in the US, but probably better in [name]England[/name]

[name]Everett[/name]: I don’t really like surnames as first names, and it has a really trendy feel to me…

[name]Leo[/name]: I love this, and it’s my favorite out of your choices. [name]Leo[/name] [name]Philipe[/name] sounds great!

I should have disclosed that [name]Everett[/name] is my maiden name!

Okay! I really liked [name]Arlo[/name], [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Anneliese[/name]. Anyway, I think [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] is beautiful, so I would go with that 100%. Your boy name is a bit tougher, because I love [name]Tobias[/name] with [name]Mathilda[/name], but [name]Tobias[/name] [name]Philippe[/name] doesn’t sound fantastic to me. [name]Hugo[/name] is a bit of a stretch in the US, but if you say it is a go in [name]England[/name], then use it. I used to live there and I don’t remember anyone with this name, but you have lived and will live there more recently. [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Philippe[/name] sounds very nice! Good luck!

You are all so very helpful! Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

I love, love, love [name]Josephine[/name] “[name]Effy[/name]” [name]Mireille[/name] with big sister [name]Mathilda[/name] H”l”ne. I also like nn [name]Posy[/name] but also like [name]Effy[/name].
[name]Eloise[/name] - I didn’t think anything would match [name]Josephine[/name] but I really love [name]Eloise[/name] as well. I would have a hard time choosing between these two - maybe bring them both to the hospital to see what she looks like (in case she’s a girl)?
[name]Nora[/name] - seems a little pedantic next to [name]Mireille[/name] and [name]Mathilda[/name] imo, even though I like it quite a lot in other contexts
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] - another interesting combination of heritage like [name]Mathilda[/name] H”l”ne but I don’t like [name]Fiona[/name] together with [name]Mathilda[/name] as much because they share an ending.
[name]Vivienne[/name]/[name]Vivianne[/name]…[name]Vivian[/name] seems most popular here. - nice but not my favorite.

[name]Tobias[/name] - my favorite. [name]Love[/name] [name]Tobias[/name] [name]Philipe[/name]! And I think the tone and length match [name]Mathilda[/name] nicely
[name]Hugo[/name] - I don’t care for this one as much
[name]Everett[/name] (edited to add that this is my maiden name!) - normally I would say no to this with [name]Mathilda[/name] and middle [name]Philipe[/name], but it being your maiden name sways me
[name]Leo[/name] - cute but a little short with [name]Mathilda[/name] I think

I would vote [name]Josephine[/name] (or [name]Eloise[/name]) and [name]Tobias[/name] (or [name]Everett[/name])

[name]Love[/name] [name]Eloise[/name] & [name]Everett[/name]. Good luck!

Congratulations! :slight_smile: I’m so happy for you! I love your daughter’s name, and think that [name]Mireille[/name], the middle name you may be using for your baby, is gorgeous! :slight_smile:

Girls… middle name is set to be [name]Mireille[/name].
[name]Josephine[/name]: I absolutely love this name…
[name]Eloise[/name] : I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Eloise[/name], and think the flow of [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] is amazing! :slight_smile:
[name]Nora[/name]: I think that some of your other names work better (in terms of flow) with [name]Mireille[/name].
[name]Fiona[/name]: I love the name [name]Fiona[/name], but with [name]Mireille[/name], I can better see [name]Eloise[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name].
[name]Vivienne[/name]/[name]Vivianne[/name]: I think [name]Vivienne[/name] is a great name, but I love [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] more. (Especially [name]Eloise[/name]…) :slight_smile:

I’m voting for [name]Eloise[/name], with [name]Josephine[/name] in second place.

[name]Tobias[/name]: I think this is a great name…
[name]Hugo[/name]: I love [name]Hugo[/name], too, and think it’s exotic/romantic feel works well with [name]Philipe[/name].
[name]Everett[/name]: I think this name is so handsome, but I’m not sure I like the sound of [name]Philipe[/name] in the middle.
[name]Leo[/name]: I love this name so much, but I think that [name]Leo[/name] [name]Philipe[/name] sounds a bit blunt.

I’m going to vote for [name]Hugo[/name].

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I vote for [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name]!

[name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] would be a lovely name, and very special as it honours your mil. I think the ‘ienne’ is the only way to go if you are pairing with [name]Mireille[/name].

If it is a boy

[name]Tobias[/name] [name]Everett[/name] [name]Philipe[/name] nn [name]Toby[/name], I just love [name]Toby[/name].

If you were to live in [name]France[/name] I would opt for [name]Philipe[/name] [name]Everett[/name] as I love [name]Philipe[/name] said the French way.

I vote for [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Tobias[/name]. I also like [name]Everett[/name], but I would put it as a second name - wouldn’t [name]Philipe[/name] [name]Everett[/name] sound perfect?!?

Again, thank you all so very much.

Right now we keep referring to my belly as [name]Eloise[/name] or [name]Tobias[/name]! Of course, this could all change!

Our [name]Mathilda[/name] wants to name her, because as far as she is concerned the baby IS a her… [name]Hyacinth[/name]… which was our cat that passed away shortly before our move!

I don’t know about the flow with your surname, but it would be absolutely darling to do [name]Tobias[/name] [name]Everett[/name] [name]Philippe[/name] for a boy, as another poster suggested, and [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Hyacinth[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]! I actually quite like the sound of [name]Hyacinth[/name] with [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Mireille[/name], and it is pretty with [name]Mathilda[/name] [name]Helene[/name]! Another cute option would be [name]Tobias[/name] [name]Henri[/name] [name]Philippe[/name] or [name]Tobias[/name] [name]Hector[/name] [name]Philippe[/name] - each child could have an H middle name, like [name]Mathilda[/name], and then a second name to honor your passed relatives. I understand there is just one baby, so you could only use a boy or girl name, but I think it is a very cute idea…

Best wishes :slight_smile:

First of all, might I say that I adore [name]Mathilda[/name]!

Girls :
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] - I adore [name]Josephine[/name], the nn [name]Effy[/name], and the flow of this combination.
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] - very pretty, although personally I prefer the flow of [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]. [name]Ellie[/name] also seems to be quite common …
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] - while I adore this, it is somewhat hard to say with [name]Mireille[/name]. Have you considered [name]Honora[/name] [name]Mireille[/name], nn [name]Nora[/name]? I think the extra syllable just makes it a little easier.
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] - nice, but not as stunning or interesting as some of your other options, in my opinion.
[name]Vivienne[/name]/[name]Vivianne[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] - this is pretty, but the flow of some of your other combinations seems better to me.

Boys : (I adore [name]Philipe[/name])
[name]Tobias[/name] [name]Philipe[/name] - a handsome name, with the cute nn [name]Toby[/name].
[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Philipe[/name] - I adore both of these names, and think they go well together. [name]Hugo[/name] is unusual and interesting, but not unheard of, too.
[name]Everett[/name] [name]Philipe[/name] - I do love both of these names, but [name]Everett[/name] seems to be getting popular. That may or may not bother you, though.
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Philipe[/name] - the flow of this feels a little off to me; perhaps [name]Louis[/name] [name]Philipe[/name], instead? I feel that has excellent flow … Alternatively, you could choose to use [name]Leopold[/name] [name]Philipe[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name], which I think has slightly better flow.

So my vote is for [name]Josephine[/name], but for the boys, I am torn. I think [name]Tobias[/name], [name]Hugo[/name] and [name]Everett[/name] are all brilliant names, and go very well with [name]Mathilda[/name]. My personal favourite is [name]Hugo[/name], but I don’t really think you can go wrong :slight_smile:

Congratulations, and good luck!

Oh my! I have been so busy and recently logged on to my old laptop computer after finally receiving a replacement battery and happily found this forum again! I love the new layout of nameberry.com and I am very very happy to share that my husband, [name]Mathilda[/name] and I welcomed [name]Josephine[/name] “[name]Effy[/name]” [name]Mireille[/name] on [name]March[/name] 10! Thank you all very much for your help. We were almost 100% certain we were having a boy and [name]Effy[/name] was such a blessing and wonderful surprise! We had decided on [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Philipe[/name] if [name]Effy[/name] turned out to be a he! Thank you again all for your help.

Wonderful to hear your news. Congratulations on having a beautiful daughter and her name is perfect I love the French connection!