Mathurin--what do you think?

Mathurin is my latest boy name crush. I found it in a couple of [name_m]Louis[/name_m] L’Amour short stories about the fictional American Western character Mathurin [name_f]Sabre[/name_f], nicknamed [name_m]Matt[/name_m]. The more I think about it, the more attractive it seems; it has the popular -in ending, while being unusual with a dash of foreign flair. I discovered it’s a [name_m]French[/name_m] saint’s name apparently stemming from the Latin word maturus, the root of our English word mature, literally meaning “timely.” I thought it sounded familiar, and it took me a few minutes to realize I was thinking of [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] Maturin, from [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] O’[name_m]Brian[/name_m]'s [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]-Maturin novel series. He was played by [name_m]Paul[/name_m] Bettany in the movie “Master and Commander.” Maturin is a variation of the name.

What do you think? Is Mathurin usable as a first name? Only if you’re [name_m]French[/name_m]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer it spelled Mathurin, with the H, or Maturin, without? The pronunciation is the same: Mathurin pronunciation: How to pronounce Mathurin in French

[name_m]Matt[/name_m] is the obvious nickname, but for personal reasons I wouldn’t want to call a son [name_m]Matt[/name_m], so if I was going to nickname Mathurin I’d be looking for something else. Any ideas?

I like it and don’t see why it wouldn’t be usable. If you use the Mathurin you could use [name_m]Thorin[/name_m] as a nn. Or with either spelling you could use [name_f]Rin[/name_f].

Oh, never heard this one before. I have to say, it really appeals to me. I love the sound and image it gives while also coming with a more popular nn. I would say that it’s definitely usable.

I don’t see why Mathurin can’t be used. Compared to the names I’ve been seeing lately, it looks fine. Besides, similar names like [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] is overused and [name_m]Matthias[/name_m] is getting more well known so Mathurin could be a rare and bold alternative to those names. I would spell it Mathurin with the “h” because it looks more complete. My only hesitation with the name is that it sounds similar to the word “maturing” but that’s not a big deal.

It’s a little too unusual for my taste, but I wouldn’t have a negative association were I to meet a Mathurin, I would probably be more fascinated. I especially like it as an alternative to nickname [name_m]Matt[/name_m], but since you don’t like [name_m]Matt[/name_m] I think [name_f]Rin[/name_f] would be a really neat nickname!

Thanks for the comments. I had thought of [name_f]Rin[/name_f] as a nn, but not [name_m]Thorin[/name_m]! It’s a stretch, but it sure is cool (though I haven’t liked the first two Hobbit movies much, so I don’t care for the recent [name_m]Richard[/name_m] Armitage association…) And I have brothers named [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m] and [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] who have managed to live life without nicknames, since my parents don’t care for nicknames, so I might be able to pull off an un-nicknamed Mathurin.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like the nn [name_u]Ari[/name_u] for Mathurin?

Now that’s a thought…I do like [name_u]Ari[/name_u]. Thanks! That’ll go on my “possibilities” list.

Did you know I found an old thread of yours, listing male saints’ names ending in N, when I searched Mathurin here on NB? I don’t remember having seen it before, and it’s wonderful: Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums
Lots of treasures there, and that’s when I first realized Mathurin is a saint’s name.

Oh good! I’m glad my list came in handy for you! :slight_smile:

It’s difficult to pronounce correctly if you don’t have a [name_m]French[/name_m] accent. I think people will see it and say '[name_m]Math[/name_m]-uh-rin" like [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] with an M, instead of ‘Ma-tur-an’ (sort of, I don’t know how to write the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation very well).

Yes, I can see that being a problem. I got it right (well, close, with my American accent) when I read the stories, and I didn’t realize it was [name_m]French[/name_m]; but it was reminding me of [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] Maturin, whose name I knew how to say. It also helps (if I may say so) that I’m a name nerd.

I agree with this. Around here, [name_m]French[/name_m] names end up being pronounced the “American” way, not the [name_m]French[/name_m] way.

I really like the name Mathurin pronounced the french way and [name_m]Thorin[/name_m] would be a nice nickname if pronounced ‘To-rin’ with a nasal french accent. I think it works best if you have french connections though.

An interesting association: Mathurin Henrio, the youngest member of the [name_m]French[/name_m] Resistance, who, at the age of 14, was killed by his [name_m]German[/name_m] captors for refusing to reveal information. He was postumously awarded l’Ordre de la [name_f]Lib[/name_f]ération and the [name_m]Croix[/name_m] de guerre 1939-1945.