Matilda or Wilhelmina?

We are TTC baby #3. Which name do you like best for our sibset?

I go back and forth, because I love them both and they’re both family names. I know [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is more popular but I’ve never met a child named [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] in the U.S. Matilda is so spunky and fun just like my grandma. My cousin named his daughter [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] (she is 7 years old) after our grandma [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. I would also love to use her name, but is it taken now? Could I use the nickname [name_f]Tillie[/name_f]? I also love [name_f]Millie[/name_f], but not [name_u]Mattie[/name_u]. They would be second cousins and we only get together about once per year.

Oh [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]… She’s 10 letters long and a mouth full, but so beautiful and underused. My husband has both a [name_m]Wilhelm[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] on his side and my Great Aunt “[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]” was the sweetest lady ever, her full name was [name_f]Wilhelmine[/name_f]. I adore the nickname [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], and think it works better with our girls’ nicknames “[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]” and “[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]”.

On paper I prefer the look of [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] with our girls, but spoken I prefer [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]. They are both very meaningful family names, it’s so hard to choose!

I’m with you. I prefer [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] as a name, but I think [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] goes best with [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]. I’d still go with [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] though, if that’s the name you like best. I love all the nickname options, especially [name_f]Mina[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] with [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] and [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]. I think it has the perfect balance of your daughters names, a little bit vintage and a good bit of spunk. Plus it honors both sides of the family and has great nn options!

I actually think [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] goes better with your girls’ names. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is quirky while [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is more classic and regal sounding. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I think [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] might go better with [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] are pretty perfect together.

Anyway, both names are beautiful. I have a sister called [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] so I’m generally quite biased towards the name, however, since we use both spellings over here, I always found [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] to look better with “quirky/short” names (think [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_m]Liam[/name_m], [name_u]Noah[/name_u])while I prefer [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] with older names (think [name_f]Geneva[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]). Therefore, in this case, I prefer [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] with your girls.

Both are great names, but [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is my favorite of the two.

Frankly, I am just tired of [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] being so popular on nameberry. The only [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] I knew was a wonderful dog in my childhood. I think the sick meaning behind Waltzing [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] has turned me off it too.

That being said, I love [name_f]Tilda[/name_f].

But [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] rules. I would call her [name_f]Helma[/name_f] myself.

Thank you all so much! I feel assured that while maybe it’s not the absolute perfect match, that [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] is THE name if we would have another girl. Thanks for all of your feedback!

@lesliemarion - I know Waltzing [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] isn’t a great song but I think it is fun if you can have your own song. Both of our girls have songs. But I found a song by [name_u]Danny[/name_u] [name_u]Kaye[/name_u] called [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f], it’s an old one!

More feedback is welcome! :slight_smile:

My husband’s cousin named her baby [name_f]Grace[/name_f] a few months before my daughter was born. As soon as she took that name, [name_f]Grace[/name_f] became unusable to me. However, [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is not really a family name, so it’s hard to say whether I think [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is now unusable for you. I think maybe so. (Although only YOU can decide that)

I do agree that [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] (while too clunky for me) goes better with the sibset anyway. I would nn her [name_f]Mina[/name_f]. Especially if [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] ever ends up going by [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] or a variant.

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]! :slight_smile: