matilda?

after seeing the name matilda this morning, i’ve been mulling it over. i really like the name! and it seems to go with our mn choice, bay. matilda bay. what do you think?? can milly work as a nn too? does the style of matilda bay work with DS beckett reed? thanks!

[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Bay[/name] and [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Reid[/name] are wonderful together! I [name]LOVE[/name] it!

I agree! And I think [name]Milly[/name] works :wink:

yeah! thanks! so someone on another name board said that anything with the middle name bay sounds more like a place than a person. does bay work with matilda? does it sound too place-name instead of person name? its not like she would be called by her first and middle names all the time…

[name]Do[/name] you have a special reason for selecting MN [name]Bay[/name], other than you just like it? I do have to agree that anything with [name]Bay[/name] sounds a little like the name of a place, but I also agree that the MN will rarely be used, and when it does, you will probably also be using the LN, so the name won’t stop at [name]Bay[/name]. However, if you go with [name]Bay[/name], I think [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Bay[/name] is a great choice.

bay is special to us for many reasons. my grandparents live in monterey bay and we have many wonderful memories with them there. also, my DH proposed to me on a cliff overlooking the monterey bay too. so yes, it is a special place (and name) to us that we would like to use.

I love [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Bay[/name], and I think [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Beckett[/name] go very well as a sibset.

I think [name]Bay[/name] is an interesting choice, especially for the reasons that you gave–it has special meaning for you. And there’s a kind of poetry to its simplicity.

I don’t know if you were looking for feedback on the first and middle names, but if both–well, I must be the only name enthusiast in the world who doesn’t like [name]Matilda[/name]. I don’t see the appeal–it sounds awkward and banal to me. There are so many beautiful names out there, I don’t understand the American naming world’s recent attraction to this one. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I think you can find something better. Some suggestions in vaguely the same style: [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Bay[/name] (or [name]Luciana[/name] [name]Bay[/name]), [name]Violetta[/name] [name]Bay[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Bay[/name], [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Bay[/name]…

I think [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Bay[/name] would be perfect, then, since [name]Matilda[/name] kind of sounds like ‘Monterey’ and that means so much to you. I think [name]Matilda[/name] is a really nice name!

I love [name]Matilda[/name], and think it’s great with [name]Beckett[/name]! :slight_smile:

Take care!

I agree! And I think [name]Milly[/name] works ;)[/quote]
I agree, too!

I agree! And I think [name]Milly[/name] works ;)[/quote]
I agree, too![/quote]

Me too!

Good [name]Luck[/name]:slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I love [name]Matilda[/name] because it sounds a bit eccentric. I see that on your list you have included [name]Juniper[/name]. [name]Juniper[/name] sounds a bit eccentric, too.
Other eccentric names that I love:
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Bettina[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Dottie[/name], a nn for [name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Esmerelda[/name]
[name]Hattie[/name], a nn for [name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Jessamyn[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name]
[name]Millicent[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Rowena[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Yvette[/name]

I really like [name]Matilda[/name]. It isn’t just becoming popular in the US. It has also become popular in the UK, I think mainly because it has been used by a few people in the public eye. I know several little Matildas in my area.

I love [name]Matilda[/name] for the same reason as [name]Susan[/name]. I feel like it is taking a name that is gorgeous like [name]Madeline[/name] and making it unique without making it “yooneek”.

i’m loving matilda bay. i talked to DH about it last night and he even loves it too! he likes the nn matti. maybe i have found a name that we [name]BOTH[/name] love?! he’s been stuck on maisie forever. and i’ve been keen on isla and cora. but matilda bay just feels right. finally!

Yay! Congrats!!!

Yes, [name]Matilda[/name] is a very nice name, but I’d write [name]Mathilda[/name]…

Good luck

I love [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Bay[/name]! I think it works great with [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Reed[/name], and the connections for [name]Bay[/name] are so lovely!
I think [name]Milly[/name] works as a nickname, and so does [name]Mattie[/name]. If I had to choose, I would choose [name]Mattie[/name], but then it would sound like [name]Maddie[/name], as in [name]Madison[/name]. :frowning: What about [name]Milla[/name] as a nn?

I love [name]Matilda[/name] because it sounds a bit eccentric. I see that on your list you have included [name]Juniper[/name]. [name]Juniper[/name] sounds a bit eccentric, too.
Other eccentric names that I love:
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Bettina[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Dottie[/name], a nn for [name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Esmerelda[/name]
[name]Hattie[/name], a nn for [name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Jessamyn[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name]
[name]Millicent[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Rowena[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Yvette[/name][/quote]

I love a lot of those names you list, [name]Susan[/name]! [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Tamsin[/name], and [name]Stella[/name] are among my very favorites! I guess I don’t put [name]Matilda[/name] in the ‘eccentric’ category–it just sounds, erm, uh, well, to be honest, dumpy to me. I’m sorry if that’s too mean. But obviously I’m in a minority here. I guess the take-away for the original poster is that if you do use [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Bay[/name], a lot of people will love it, but there will be a few who just don’t get it. If that doesn’t bother you, by all means, carry on. :slight_smile:

I will say that even if the first name doesn’t resonate with me, the rhythm of [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Bay[/name] is lovely.