Matilda?

we currently trying to conceive after a miscarriage a few months ago and already have our boy name ready and have fallen in love with [name]Matilda[/name] for a girl… But we are worried about a few things…

1. People using the NN [name]Matty[/name] instead of [name]Tilly[/name] which we [name]LOVE[/name]
  2. That as an adult or even in high school she wouldn’t be taken seriously? Is this silly?
  3. That in the US this name isn’t as widely accepted as it is in other contries?
    Middle name would either be [name]Mae[/name] or [name]Jane[/name]… We have an 18mth old named [name]Lola[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]… A few other names in the running are

[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]

I love [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Tabitha[/name]. I think that they’re both feminine and strong at the sane time.

I love [name]Matilda[/name]! To ease your worries:

1. I’ve found that most people are pretty accepting of the nickname you want. A couple of corrections is all it takes. :slight_smile:
  2. I see no reason why a high school or adult [name]Matilda[/name] wouldn’t be taken seriously. And it’s not silly to worry about it. Giving someone a name they’re going to spend the rest of their lives using is a serious job. :slight_smile:
  3. [name]Matilda[/name] isn’t as popular in the US as other countries, BUT that doesn’t mean it isn’t as accepted. Also, the fact that it isn’t as popular here is a really good thing…means she won’t be [name]Matilda[/name] X. or whatever in her class.

[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Lola[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] go really well together.

[name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Tabitha[/name] are also great choices. :slight_smile: [name]Hope[/name] this helps.

I’m sorry to hear about your loss, but congrats on TTC again.

1. I think if you use the nn [name]Tilly[/name] first off, when other people hear you use it, they will fall in line. At least I always look to the parent to see what nickname they use, if any, before I use one.
  2. [name]Matilda[/name] isn’t the kind of name I think you have to worry about with this concern, it is completely lovely and respectable.
  3. [name]Even[/name] though it’s not as common in the US, I think it is a hidden jem.
    [name]Lola[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] is a gorgeous name and would look great with a [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Mae[/name].

Best wishes!
amandaberry :slight_smile:

Congratulations on both the baby and your excellent taste, because [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Tabitha[/name] and are all completely fabulous. [name]Lola[/name] is adorable as well.
I agree that when people hear you use [name]Tilly[/name] as a nickname they will follow suit. I don’t see why people wouldn’t take her seriously, I think [name]Matilda[/name] works for both a bright little girl ([name]Matilda[/name] Wormwood, anyone?) and a powerful woman. It’s recognizable but not mainstream, and I think it will be a fantastic choice!

Great minds think alike. [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is the name we have picked out if we have a girl. I completely understand about your concerns, and the aren’t unwarranted.

1. Some people may assume the nickname would be [name]Matty[/name]. But they will change when they hear you call her [name]Tilly[/name], or after you correct them.
  2. With this new wave of vintage names, [name]Matilda[/name] probably won’t feel out of place in her class. My 3 year old has a [name]Vera[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name] in her preschool class, and I think [name]Matilda[/name] fits right in. Also, I’ve always found that the person makes the name. If she isn’t taken seriously, it won’t be because of her name.
  3. It might not be as widely accepted in the U.S. as in other countries, but that’s no reason not to use it. Since [name]America[/name] has a blending of so many different cultures, there are a wide range of name styles being used.

[name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Tabitha[/name] are equally lovely. However, I think [name]Lola[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] sound a bit too similar. [name]Lola[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name] are delightful together.

[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Jane[/name] would be a great sister for [name]Lola[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]. [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Mae[/name] would be other options. I’m not too crazy about [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Lola[/name].

I think [name]Matilda[/name] is quite charming and it would be my highest vote out of what you’ve suggested.

I adore [name]Matilda[/name]! I love the nickname [name]Mattie[/name], too. [name]Tabitha[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] are also pretty though.

If you call her [name]Tilly[/name], most people will go along with it. (This is my prefered nickname for [name]Matilda[/name] too.) There might be that rare exception in there (like a stubblorn [name]MIL[/name], for example) but it seems that most people are very agreeable about using the nickname that you want.

I think [name]Matilda[/name] is a beautiful, versatile name. I don’t see any reason why she wouldn’t be taken seriously with it. It might not be very common in the US at the moment, but, [name]IMO[/name], it seems to be catching on.

It’s my favorite name of your three. I also really like [name]Lydia[/name].

Thanks so much everyone this really helps more than you know!! Sounds like [name]Matilda[/name] just might stick :slight_smile:

I love [name]Matilda[/name]! I think if you call her [name]Tilly[/name], so will everyone else. I definitely think that it will age well, and I think it’s becoming more of a norm for kids in the US to have unusual names. I personally like [name]Matilda[/name] much, much more than either [name]Tabitha[/name] or [name]Lydia[/name].

I agree with everyone else about people using the nn that you want. However, as she gets older, other people (friends, siblings, other relatives, etc.) may call her [name]Matty[/name] in the future, so you would have to be okay with that.

That being said, I love the name [name]Matilda[/name]! It does remind me of the [name]Roald[/name] Dahl character, but I absolutely love the book and the character. [name]Matilda[/name] is actually on my long list of names. I like [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Jane[/name] better than [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Mae[/name].

Good luck finding a name you love!

Thanks so much!! My Hubby absolutely adores this name and I really like it as well so it makes me feel so much better to hear all of the warm responses the [name]Matilda[/name] :slight_smile: so it sounds like [name]Jane[/name] is the middle name choice over [name]Mae[/name]? Thanks berries!!

[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is super cute! [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Mae[/name] is okay, but I’m not a fan of the alliteration. Go for it!

[name]Matilda[/name] is catching on like wildfire lately. it will be rather common in 10 years, and because of that you may be disappointed. a derivative of mathilda that i prefer is [name]Maude[/name]. yes, just [name]Maude[/name], because maude is just a cool chick with super sophisticated bourgeois parents

[name]Matilda[/name] is gorgeous. I have no idea about its acceptability in the US as I’m Australian, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be. It’s classic and easily recognized, but not too common, which I think makes for a perfect name. I also think the [name]Tilly[/name] is quite intuitive, so you shouldn’t have too many issues with that either. I’ve always liked the idea of having a little [name]Matilda[/name] and calling her [name]Molly[/name], which I think is going to be a lot harder to get to than [name]Tilly[/name] :wink: