Mats, Hjalmar or Joseph?

Help me decide which name my son should go by and which should just be middles. He’s way too old now (3 months) for going by all his three names. Yes, that’s what’s going on right now, so desperately need help! :see_no_evil:

Should I go with the classic [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Joe[/name_m]), [name_m]Mats[/name_m] (Swedish form of [name_m]Matthew[/name_m]) or [name_m]Hjalmar[/name_m] (Icelandic, pronounced Yalmar). [name_f]My[/name_f] older kids have names more in line with [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]. [name_m]Mats[/name_m] and [name_m]Hjalmar[/name_m] are family names (originally chosen as middles) that make my heart melt whereas [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] is the more reasonable and smart choice. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the nickname [name_m]Joe[/name_m].

Joseph is my favourite, but since [name_m]Mats[/name_m] and [name_m]Hjalmar[/name_m] make your heart melt, as you said, then I’d go with one of those.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Mats[/name_m]!

1 Like

Joseph is my favourite. If you’re in an [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking country, I would say either [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] or [name_m]Mats[/name_m] as a first name as they’re easier to pronounce. You may have to constantly correct people with [name_m]Hjalmar[/name_m], which may be an issue, so it might be better to use this as a middle.

2 Likes

Joseph/Joe definitely is the easiest but [name_m]Hjalmar[/name_m] is just so cool, my vote goes to that one!

1 Like

I like [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]:)

1 Like

Hjalmar
Or
[name_m]Hjalmar[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Mats[/name_m] as a full name.

2 Likes

Yep, [name_m]Hjalmar[/name_m] is just to cool to say no to, its got my vote :slight_smile:

1 Like

If he’s three his name can’t be changed. Call him by his name. If he’s named [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], that’s what he should be called. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is [name_m]Mats[/name_m], but if that’s not on his birth certificate, don’t cause unnecessary confusion.

Also, he’s three. What’s his preference?

2 Likes

He’s 3 months old. Not 3 years. So no preference of his own yet :blush:. All three are on his birth certificate so no change needed. It’s just a matter of what to call him :blush:

Mats is really cute! I’m not a big fan of [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]/Joe personally but as it’s his first name this is probably the easiest for people to understand.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Mats[/name_m] and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]!

1 Like

Mats is adorable!

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Mats[/name_m]! [name_m]Mats[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Hjalmar[/name_m] would be amazing!
Congratulations for your baby boy and good luck with your decision!

1 Like

Well that’s what I get for making judgements so quickly! So sorry about that. Use what comes most naturally!

1 Like

As in, your family and friends refer to him with all 3 names instead of just first name? What do you and your SO call him?

1 Like

I say [name_m]Mats[/name_m] or [name_m]Mats[/name_m]-[name_m]Joseph[/name_m] or [name_m]Mats[/name_m] [name_m]Hjalmar[/name_m]

1 Like

If in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country, I would go with [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] ([name_m]Joe[/name_m]) or [name_m]Mats[/name_m]. Personally, I love [name_m]Mats[/name_m].

1 Like

Joseph

1 Like

I love [name_m]Mats[/name_m]! I actually know a little [name_m]Mats[/name_m] and he’s the cutest toddler

1 Like