Matthew???

So for years DH has said if we have another boy his name would be [name]Ian[/name]. It wasn’t my favorite, but decided to let him have it. [name]Just[/name] the other day he tells me… if this baby is a boy, I really love [name]Matthew[/name]. I suggest, [name]Ian[/name] [name]Matthew[/name], but he says “nah, I like it for a FN”… Hmmmm… I think, [name]Matthew[/name]… Fits in with our other boys, as it is biblical. SO I ask him about a mn. He says, how about [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Giovanni[/name] (his name is [name]Giovanni[/name])… now, I am not sure… Not sure of the flow, and wondering the “feel” of [name]Matthew[/name]… does it feel dated??? I do love the meaning of [name]Matthew[/name]! Our boys are: [name]Jonah[/name], [name]Levi[/name] and [name]Isaiah[/name]
What are your thoughts???

[name]Matthew[/name] is classic but seems a little dated next to [name]Jonah[/name], [name]Levi[/name] and [name]Isaiah[/name]. Good idea sticking to biblical theme, you have two boys whos name end in ‘ah’ and one ending with an ‘i’ so maybe another biblical name ending in ‘i’ for baby boy number four? [name]Malachi[/name]? But of course if the name [name]Matthew[/name] has special meaning to it go for it!

I think [name]Matthew[/name] sounds a little dated. It has never been one of my favorites. However, it is classic and fits with your Biblical theme.

I just sent him an email suggesting [name]Josiah[/name]… [name]Josiah[/name] [name]Matthew[/name]. I have always loved [name]Josiah[/name]. We’ll see what he says. He gets more say if baby turns out to be a boy, I told him I would let him choose, so I can only “lightly” suggest. However, now that I have suggested [name]Josiah[/name], do you think it sounds too close to [name]Isaiah[/name]? Saying it out loud, I don’t think so. While I love sticking to our boy blibical theme, I want soemthing that flows with our other boys… he has mentioned in the past [name]Ezra[/name], I just haven’t been able tocome around to it…

Hey!

If you guys like [name]Matthew[/name] but want something that’s a little “fresher” next to [name]Jonah[/name], [name]Levi[/name], and [name]Isaiah[/name], why not use [name]Matthias[/name]? I do think [name]Josiah[/name] is a little too close for comfort with a [name]Jonah[/name] and an [name]Isaiah[/name] - it gets a big “no” from me! Also, if you aren’t convinced about using [name]Giovanni[/name] for a middle name, something like [name]Jonathan[/name] would be nice; a [name]John[/name] variant for papa in a classic style to fit with the girls and boys!

Anyway, with [name]Jonah[/name], [name]Levi[/name], and [name]Isaiah[/name], if [name]Matthias[/name] isn’t for you, I’d try:

[name]Ari[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Ephraim[/name]
[name]Orly[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Samson[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name],

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Matthias[/name]??

Also what is your take on the traditional [name]Matthew[/name] next to our boys’ names? [name]Do[/name] you feel it looks “dated”…

Also, just thought of [name]Elliot[/name]. I really like that… thoughts on [name]Elliot[/name]??? [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Giovanni[/name] or [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] have a nice ring…

I don’t think it looks dated. Especially since it’s later (New Testament) vs Old Testament. And it’s not used as much now as say [name]Luke[/name] is. Of all the student’s in my kids school there is only 1 [name]Matthew[/name]. He’s a great kid and has really brought that name back for me. I love [name]Josiah[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] as well though.
Depending on your last name [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Tobias[/name] could work.

Other options

[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]

I know a cool sibet at church named Ezekial, [name]Moses[/name] and [name]Ezra[/name]. I wouldn’t have ever thought of those but I like them a lot.

Well, I pronounce [name]Matthias[/name] as [mah-TEE-uhs], though someone once told me they pronounced the name as [mah-[name]TAY[/name]-uhs] or [mah-THIGH-uhs]. I’ve always pronounced it “my” way, and I don’t think it’s uncommon that way. I love the name!

As for [name]Matthew[/name], I don’t know that he looks dated, like [name]Michael[/name] might, but he does appear to be lacking a little freshness or pizazz. You’d find the same issue, I think, if you wanted to pair [name]David[/name] or [name]Daniel[/name] with your boys’ names. Ends-in-ah names for boys in the Biblical set are pretty hot right now, though I personally wouldn’t choose another. And, if I did, it would be [name]Micah[/name] or [name]Tobiah[/name].

With [name]Maggie[/name] D’[name]Shea[/name], [name]Jonah[/name] [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Kelsey[/name]-[name]Rose[/name] [name]Soledad[/name], [name]Emma[/name] [name]Addison[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Kate[/name], [name]Levi[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Isaiah[/name] [name]Daniel[/name], [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] [name]Juliette[/name], and [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Lea[/name], I really adore [name]Matthias[/name] “[name]Mattie[/name],” but I also love [name]Asher[/name] “[name]Ashe[/name]” and [name]Caleb[/name] “[name]Cale[/name]” and [name]Tobias[/name] “[name]Toby[/name].”

[name]Matthias[/name] - “gift of God”
[name]Asher[/name] - “fortunate, blessed, happy one”
[name]Caleb[/name] - “devotion to God”
[name]Tobias[/name] - “the [name]Lord[/name] is good”

I would go classic in the middle like you have with [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name], and [name]Daniel[/name] - to honor dad, I still think [name]Jonathan[/name] or even [name]John[/name] are perfect.

[name]Lemon[/name]

PS I’d go [name]Elias[/name] instead of [name]Elliot[/name], myself. [name]Elias[/name] “[name]Eli[/name]” is darling.

I prefer the Scottish [name]Mathew[/name] to [name]Matthew[/name] but still like the name. [name]Matthias[/name] has a variety of pronunciations – from Mah-tee-as to Mah-theye-as. It’s the Greek version of the name and more common in Germany and Scandinavia. It does fit with your sibset. Matithiya is the Hebrew version, with [name]Mati[/name] as the nn.

Instead of [name]Josiah[/name], what about [name]Jotham[/name]? Works well with your other names and isn’t trendy at all. Or you could go Italian with [name]Matthew[/name] – [name]Matteo[/name], nn [name]Matti[/name].

hmmm… good thoughts. I think I would forever be correcting how to pronounce [name]Matthias[/name], and while I love the nn [name]Matti[/name], around here it sounds like a girl (tons of Maddies running around).
Is [name]Elias[/name] pronounced (ee-lie-us)??? I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]ELI[/name], but feeling it may be too close to [name]Levi[/name]???

You might be correct about that, but I think [name]Matthias[/name] (or [name]Mathias[/name]) is worth it - so handsome. [name]Elias[/name] I pronounce somewhere between the harsher [ee-LIE-uhs] and the softer [el-EYE-uhs]. I think if you named your son [name]Eli[/name], it might be too close to [name]Levi[/name]. But with [name]Elias[/name] as the long form, I think you’ve got enough versatility in sound - and of course you can still call him [name]Eli[/name]!

Other options might be [name]Ethan[/name], [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Jesse[/name], [name]Joshua[/name], [name]Jude[/name], [name]Malachi[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], or [name]Zachary[/name]. Of those, [name]Joshua[/name] and [name]Zachary[/name] (perhaps [name]Jesse[/name], too) feel the most dated, with [name]Ethan[/name] and [name]Jacob[/name] feeling the most “trendy” (but not really in a bad way). I think [name]Jude[/name] is a fantastic name, myself, but I keep going back to [name]Asher[/name] and [name]Caleb[/name] for you! That being said, I’m not sure you can go wrong with a Biblical or Hebrew name - so many good ones to choose from.

[name]Lemon[/name]

PS Going back to [name]Matthias[/name], I know a guy who goes by T (Tee), so that could be a quirky nickname for [name]Matthias[/name] instead of [name]Mattie[/name] or [name]Matt[/name].

Good thoughts! I will print this out, and think on it…gotta be honest though, I am totally loving [name]Josiah[/name] [name]Matthew[/name]. I hear what you are saying with [name]Josiah[/name], but I don’t see it as close as I think you are seeing it… I do really like [name]Joshua[/name]… DH has already said no to: [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Ethan[/name], [name]Amos[/name], [name]Ambrose[/name], [name]Asher[/name] and [name]Nathan[/name].

[name]Hi[/name], guys! I think [name]Matthew[/name] does fit in with your sibset - I don’t find it dated at all. I know 2 [name]Matthews[/name], and they are so sweet! I also know one [name]Matthias[/name], and he pronounces it Muh-thigh-us.
As for the other names you mentioned, I do like [name]Josiah[/name], but I do think it may be confused with [name]Jonah[/name] and [name]Isaiah[/name]. You mentioned [name]Elliot[/name] - love this! I like [name]Joshua[/name], too and [name]Ezra[/name]!