Mattia pronunciation

[name_u]Mattia[/name_u] is one of my favourite names for a girl, and I’ve always pronounced it ‘muh-TAY-ah’, but in the back of my head I know there is a ‘muh-TEE-ah’ pronunciation which I like a lot less.

It’s a traditional Italian boy name with that pronunciation so I don’t know why I’m complaining but it bugs me. (I don’t live in [name_f]Italy[/name_f], for that matter)

So, how would you pronounce this name, and hypothetically for a real child would it be better to stick to the common pronunciation?
Thanks!

i read it muh-TEE-yuh. i don’t think you have to stick to the ‘correct’ pronunciation. it would just mean you would have to explain to everyone it was muh-TAY-ah and not muh-TEE-yuh. it might get a bit annoying but i don’t think it’s a deal breaker.

I read it as Mattie-yah

1 Like

I would say muh-TEE-uh for [name_u]Mattia[/name_u]. I don’t get the muh-TAY-uh pronunciation with it at all I’m afraid, as I can’t get AY from an i.

If muh-TAY-uh is what you like and would hope many would also say, I imagine [name_f]Mattea[/name_f] (muh-TEH-uh) would be your best bet.

6 Likes

I live in Croatia where this name is also used (albeit spelled Matija). We pronounce it MAH-tee-yah. It’s used on both boys and girls here but predominantly on boys.

Agree with this!

I read it as Mat-tee-uh (though I’d consider mat-eye-uh too)

[name_f]Mattea[/name_f] would be mat-tay-uh maybe?

I’d say muh-TEE-uh. For muh-TAY-uh I’d use [name_f]Mattea[/name_f].

1 Like

Same. Mattie-yah.

Ditto what others have said. I would 100% say mah-TEE-a, and I’d assume the name was misspelled or kre8ive if I was told it should be pronounced muh-tay-uh. Go with [name_f]Mattea[/name_f] if that’s the pronunciation you want!

I was going to write out this exact comment. “tee” for [name_u]Mattia[/name_u], “tay” for [name_f]Mattea[/name_f]

Hello. I am from Italy and I live in Italy. Do not know how to write down the pronunciation in the American way, but I will try.

Mah- Tee - Yah? Like the A in Taco?

And also I really can’t see it as a girl’s name, sorry. For some reason, I have been used to seem it as a boy’s name in this country. But it could work!