Maud/Maude as a nn?

See the results of this poll: does Maude/Maud make sense as a nn?

Respondents: 41 (This poll is closed)

• Both make total sense as nicknames : 18 (44%)
  • Both are a bit strange, but usable as nicknames : 14 (34%)
  • Matilda->Maud is fine, but not Mathilde->Maude : 0 (0%)
  • Mathilde->Maude is fine, but not Matilda->Maud : 1 (2%)
  • Neither makes sense. : 6 (15%)
  • Both make sense but would be too confusing in real life : 2 (5%)
  • Other (please comment): 0 (0%)

I love [name_f]Maud[/name_f]/e either as a nn or on its own. Makes perfect sense to me! And in the end if many people don’t know the historic connection does it matter? You know it.

Totally works! The connection may be less well known that [name_m]John[/name_m] > [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m] > [name_m]Bill[/name_m], [name_m]Richard[/name_m] > [name_m]Dick[/name_m], [name_f]Ann[/name_f] > [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] > [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] etc. because the names have been less consistently used in recent times, but it’s the same thing really, and actually feels more intuitive than many of those other examples as the sounds are closer!

Thank, @araminty. I agree that it doesn’t really matter if others get it. That’s the advice I’d give to others, too (but, of course, it’s much harder to be rational with your own options, however theoretical they might be). Your response is very comforting.

I don’t see this as problematic at all ^^ I adore [name_f]Maud/name_f as a nickname for either, it would be my preference as well.
I love that you’re considering [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] though! I think she’s so alluring and special. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] to me, is either a bubbly child or a prim matron, whereas [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] is a confident young lady full of warmth, laughter and love, protective and opinionated, very passionate and caring. [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] offers a child more to grow into and shape for herself in my opinion, and I wish she was considered more often :slight_smile:

I think honouring a [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]/[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f]/[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] with the nn [name_f]Maud[/name_f]/e makes absolute sense but using both on the same child might confuse people/is not something I would do (that is if both are used regularly).

ETA: The main reason why I wouldn’t use Maud/e as a nickname is because it sounds and feels like a full name to me and there’s nothing other than history that really makes them feel belonging to each other.

Yes! [name_u]Love[/name_u] them.

[name_u]Leslie[/name_u]

Thanks, @katinka. I think the “less well known” part is what’s worrying me. It’s reassuring to hear you think it could work.

Thanks, @dearest. [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] is the family name, and I love it (and its current bearer). My only hesitation in using it is that we pronounce it with 3 syllables (Ma-[name_m]TILL[/name_m]-də), which is pretty much indistinguishable from [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] to most Australians. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is a very popular name here at the moment, so I do worry that [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] might cause some confusion. If I use it in the middle spot, though, I’d definitely prefer to keep the traditional spelling.

P.s. Åshild is a lovely name!

Thanks @opheliaflora. I know what you mean about [name_f]Maud[/name_f]/e feeling like a full name. I suspect many people would agree with you that the historical connection is not obvious enough/no longer relevant enough to make them work as nicknames. That’s my main hesitation with using them.
If it ends up being a choice between [name_f]Maud[/name_f]/e and [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f]/[name_f]Matilda[/name_f], I’d use the long from with a different nn ([name_f]Tilda[/name_f]/[name_f]Thilde[/name_f] or [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]/[name_f]Hilde[/name_f], probably).

Thanks, [name_u]Leslie[/name_u]. Me too!

Thanks, @dearest. I love [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] too (the name and its current bearer). My only hesitation is that we pronounce it with 3 syllables (Ma-[name_m]TILL[/name_m]-də /Ma-[name_m]TEEL[/name_m]-də), which most Australians will hear as [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. Since [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is a very popular name here at the moment, I’m a bit concerned that [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] will cause spelling /pronunciation problems. If I end up using it in the middle spot, though, I’d definitely prefer to use [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f].

P.s. Åshild is a lovely name

I think in your situation, using an uncommon nickname might help reduce confusion if you end up using the [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] spelling. While most Australians might expect [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] to be short for [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], they’re less likely to have preconceived ideas about what [name_f]Hilde[/name_f], [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] or [name_f]Maude[/name_f] is short for (if anything). You might encounter some surprise that [name_f]Maude[/name_f] is a nickname, but the beauty of nicknames is that you can always change them if they don’t work :slight_smile:

Thanks for voting (and clarifying) @coffeeorangecats. You’re right, they are quite unusual nickname options.

Thanks, @onomastodon. I hope you’re right!
And welcome to nameberry - I like your screen name :slight_smile: