Maude?

I’ve recently really been liking the name [name]Maude[/name]. It’s old fashioned and elegant and I really like that. I’ve been thinking [name]Maude[/name] [name]Lorraine[/name] [name]Greta[/name]. [name]Lorraine[/name] is to honour my grandmother, and [name]Greta[/name] is just another name I like. What are your opinions on it, and what do you think siblings of [name]Maude[/name] would be named? Also do you think it goes with the other names on my short list which are [name]Ophelia[/name] or [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Viola[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Araminta[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Leopold[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Walter[/name].

Thanks!

I think it’s really pretty. [name]IMO[/name], [name]Maude[/name] [name]Lorraine[/name] [name]Greta[/name] sounds like it could be a movie star’s name. It’s classic, but it’s also uncommon enough that it strikes me as unusual (in a good way). I think it goes well enough with the other names on your list too. Your other names are more “dressy feminine” (many have the “a” ending which makes me think of them this way) but [name]Maude[/name] is an obviously feminine name too. I think it goes especially well with your boy names.

I’ve always like the simplicity and dignity of [name]Maude[/name] but I know a lot of Nameberries don’t like it. The name reminds me of the [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] character in the TV show “[name]Maude[/name]”: strong, liberated, no-nonsense, sharpwitted and funny. Also, it has a literary association with [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Maud[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name] and [name]Yeats[/name]’ unrequited love [name]Maud[/name] Gonne as well as a royal connection with a [name]Queen[/name] of Norway. From your list, I like [name]Viola[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Leopold[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] with [name]Maude[/name]. I would avoid [name]Walter[/name] as that was [name]Maude[/name]'s TV husband’s name. I love all of your names but have you considered switching the middle names to [name]Maude[/name] [name]Greta[/name] [name]Lorraine[/name]? Here are some suggestions for her siblings.

Boys
[name]Alfred[/name]
[name]Basil[/name]
[name]Clarence[/name]
[name]Luther[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Harold[/name]
[name]Gilbert[/name]
[name]Francis[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Ernest[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]

Girls
[name]Sybil[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Thora[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Frieda[/name]
[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Cecile[/name] / [name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]

[name]Maude[/name] is great. It is elegant and charming in a far more subtle way than say [name]Liliana[/name] or [name]Mirabella[/name]. It’s also underused but not unheard of, which is a definite plus in my opinion.
When I think siblings for [name]Maude[/name], the children of a blogger come to mind: [name]Ralph[/name], [name]Maude[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Betty[/name] & [name]Flora[/name].
[name]Mischa[/name] has given you some great suggestions too, to which I might add:

[name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Millicent[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name]
[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Wilhelmina[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Mildred[/name]
[name]Faye[/name]

[name]Edgar[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Willis[/name]
[name]Otis[/name]
[name]Ike[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Chester[/name]
[name]Wynn[/name]

Of your favourites, [name]Viola[/name] and [name]Walter[/name] in particular fit nicely with [name]Maude[/name].

I guess I am in the minority because I don’t find the name attractive. I think of it as frumpy and musty.

I love [name]Maude[/name]! I have been hoping it will catch on again, as it’s a great name. I also love the association with [name]Yeats[/name]’ [name]Maud[/name] Gonne.
I do like the flow of [name]Maude[/name] [name]Greta[/name] [name]Lorraine[/name] better than having [name]Greta[/name] as the 3rd name.

Out of your list, some strike me as a little frilly with [name]Maude[/name] (like [name]Ophelia[/name] and [name]Araminta[/name]), although I do like the latter name.
[name]Leopold[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Viola[/name] are my favorites that I think work well with [name]Maude[/name].

I don’t like [name]Maude[/name] at all. I think it sounds very blah and reminds me of mud. The other names are nice.

This is one I cant’ get behind. I see a very frumpy, harsh, older woman. I am all for nursing home names, provided they are feminine and pretty. [name]Maude[/name] just isn’t pretty

I think [name]Mischa[/name] is spot-on. I love the name [name]Maud[/name], although I prefer this spelling to the French one. It’s a family name for me – with
Marbie being one family nn. For me, the love comes from one of my favourite [name]Tennyson[/name] poems: “Come into the garden, [name]Maud[/name], for the black bat night has flown; Come into the garden [name]Maud[/name], I am here by the gate, alone…” It was made into a wonderful song by Irish composer [name]Michael[/name] Balfe and sung by the great Irish tenor [name]John[/name] [name]McCormack[/name]. [name]Lovely[/name] name and lovely song.

[name]Maude[/name]…hmm one of those names that sounds dowdy and vintage at first, but can become quite appealing and strong as one wears the name. It used to be in that category of dusty gross names like [name]Ester[/name], [name]Estelle[/name], and [name]Gertrude[/name]. The name has shaken the dust, and can be quite pretty. There’s a dull french movie about a girl named [name]Maude[/name] in, 'Ma Nuit chez [name]Maude[/name]." I like [name]Maude[/name].

I think [name]Maude[/name] is a very sweet name. I love all of mischa’s suggestions for siblings except one. Please, please, if you have a [name]Maude[/name], don’t name her brother [name]Harold[/name]. :wink:

[name]Ah[/name], [name]Maude[/name]. One of the limited number of names of that era I like. ([name]Lorraine[/name]'s another, by the way.) I definitely prefer it to the now-returning more common form [name]Matilda[/name].

triplicate - Good thought, [name]Maude[/name] is nice, but I think your daughter will be better served with [name]Mathilda[/name]. [name]Maude[/name] is still a tough name too carry

I absolutely love me some [name]Bea[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] but [name]Maude[/name] gets a big no from me. And I also enjoy a lot of the older generation names. But imo, [name]Maude[/name] is just very abrupt and harsh and not at all pretty. Sorry, I do think your other names are nice!

I think that all your other names are much nicer. I don’t find [name]Maude[/name] elegant at all. It’s very heavy, earth, and dowdy to me. I also think it’s very dated. I think of ‘[name]Harold[/name] and [name]Maude[/name]’ and that’s the most life it’s ever been given.

[name_f]Maud[/name_f] was also used for males in the late 1800s, but not very often: http://www.nameplayground.com/Maud

[name_f]Maude[/name_f] reminds me of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f] and there is that new baby royal [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_f]Marina[/name_f]:slight_smile:

but [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] [name_f]Greta[/name_f] does not sound pleasant. Not the names, just the flow or lack of flow of the sounds.

I love [name_f]Maude[/name_f]! I am surprised that it doesn’t overwhelmingly get the berry stamp of approval. I would love to see it on a little girl. I like [name_f]Maude[/name_f] [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] but adding [name_f]Greta[/name_f] at the end doesn’t work for me (and I do love the name [name_f]Greta[/name_f]). I vote to keep [name_f]Greta[/name_f] for another daughters name. I think [name_f]Maud[/name_f] goes with your other potential names.

For me [name_f]Maude[/name_f] is old, boring, grey and smells like detergent. Sorry.