Maxwell for a girl?

I am creating a story about a girl living in the 1950s, and I think I’m going to name her [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] (first and middle name). What do you guys feel about the name? Any better middle name suggestions?

Were boys’ names on girls a common thing back then, in the country your story takes place in? If not then [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] is kind of a weird choice if this is a realistic story, though it does have a 50’s feel to it, especially with [name_f]Frances[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Maxine[/name_f] has a much more 50’s feel to it. You can totally still name her [name_u]Max[/name_u], but boys names used for girls weren’t too common back then.

Unless she lives in the southern United States (where boy names are sometimes traditionally used for girls) or there’s another reason behind it, I have to say no. People didn’t really branch out like that in the 50s. Names were usually very traditional. [name_f]Maxine[/name_f] is a better idea.

As other people have said, it wasn’t a common choice in the 50s, but if you want it, I think it’s a great name. Maybe there’s some reason behind it, and why her parents chose that name for her.

You could make it more feminine by spelling it Maxwelle.