Meanings of Lyon?

I recently came across the name [name_m]Lyon[/name_m] when I was researching scientists.
I know that [name_m]Lyon[/name_m] is actually [name_m]French[/name_m] and means lion (or can also be the city [name_m]Lyon[/name_m]), but the scientist was [name_m]Lyon[/name_m] Playfair, the 1st [name_m]Baron[/name_m] Playfair from [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] who lived in the 19th century (he was named after his uncle who was also Scottish), therefore I was wondering if maybe [name_m]Lyon[/name_m] has another (maybe Scottish) meaning?

Does anybody know about other meanings of [name_m]Lyon[/name_m] or did this family just like [name_f]France[/name_f]?

Seems that nobody can help me :frowning:

Google is your friend for questions like these!

However I did want add my two cents. [name_m]Lyon[/name_m] is NOT [name_m]French[/name_m] for [name_m]Lion[/name_m]. [name_m]Lion[/name_m] is [name_m]French[/name_m] for [name_m]Lion[/name_m].

The city of [name_m]Lyon[/name_m] took it’s name from a Gaelic name meaning either [name_m]Hill[/name_m] of Ravens or [name_m]Hill[/name_m] of [name_m]Light[/name_m]. When I was in [name_m]Lyon[/name_m] the museums I visited there seemed to take the meaning as [name_m]Hill[/name_m] of Ravens. Not until I read the Wikipedia article did I find our about the possible “hill of light” meaning.

In all as far as place names go its a good one. Kind of surprised its not more popular. :slight_smile:

No I’m pretty sure it still comes from the [name_m]French[/name_m]. At the time of the [name_m]Norman[/name_m] conquest and shortly after a lot [name_m]French[/name_m] people came over [name_m]Britain[/name_m] and brought their names with them which is where we get names like [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] and Beaumont from. My own surname was originally [name_m]French[/name_m] and it was brought to [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] about 100 years after the battle of Hastings and the family became one of the prominent clans. I did a quick google and it seems that [name_m]Lyon[/name_m] is also a clan so I imagine the name arrived on [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] the same way mine did. :slight_smile:

It’s actually surprising to me that Nameberry would have the error of saying this is [name_m]French[/name_m] for lion! It’s a homophone for how you say [name_m]Lion[/name_m] in [name_m]French[/name_m] but defiantly no the same word.