Meet Baby Wyc

It is with great excitement that we announce the [name_u]July[/name_u] birth of our little boy, [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m], nn Wyc (pronounced “wick”).

He joins seven (yes, seven!) sisters, whom we’ve posted about previously, most recently here.^

For all the geeky details:

Wyc’s full name is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m] [Our Surname]. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (“gift of God”) is a name Wyc shares with his dad, his grandfather and his great-grandfather on the [Dad’s Surname] side. [name_m]John[/name_m] (“God is gracious”) likewise goes back three generations on the [Mum’s Surname] side: Wyc’s grandfather, great-grandfather, and great-great-grandfather. We pray our son will be proud of the positive legacy of his two grandfathers, both of whom have worked for decades to protect little ones from exploitation.

As for the name [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m], it honours a hero of ours, the ‘[name_f]Morning[/name_f] [name_f]Star[/name_f] of the Reformation,’ [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m]. Wyc’s namesake was a brilliant [name_m]Oxford[/name_m] scholar from the 1300’s who first translated the Bible into [name_f]English[/name_f], devoting his life to making it accessible to the [name_f]English[/name_f] people in their common tongue, during an era when the church actively worked to suppress Bible translation. Though he lived at time of disastrous peril and social unrest (the [name_m]Black[/name_m] Death, the Peasants’ Rebellion, the Hundred Years War, and the Avignon Papacy, for starters), his dedication to the right of ordinary people to access God’s Word sparked a worldwide movement towards recognition of the dignity and worth of all people, a movement which continues to our day. Whatever our [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m] finds to do in life, we pray he will remember this legacy.

For the Reformer, the name comes from his home town, and means “white cliff”. But the name can also be analysed as an Anglo-[name_u]Saxon[/name_u] di-thematic name, meaning variously: Battle-endurer, Home-dweller, or Holy-life.^^ We’ll take all three.

And now you’re wondering why we’re calling him Wyc but making it his third given name! Our country doesn’t even let you put the third given name on some government ID. What a scandalous decision!!!

I actually ran a poll about this on Nameberry a few years ago which gave us the confidence to run things this way. So thanks Berries!

As to the reasons, for one thing, you try stacking [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m] first in the name. “Flow” is very subjective, but we reckon most of you will agree it just doesn’t flow the other way round.

More meaningfully, Wyc’s dad, grandad, and great-grandad have all done exactly the same thing - and used their innermost middle name as their day-to-day name. So, tradition! And you can’t argue with tradition! :nerd_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Plus this way, Wyc gets an easy name to face officialdom, and another for those who know and love him.

Frankly, also, we think [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m] is just an awesome name, and Wyc is super awesome nickname. All those scrabble points, so much joy, in such a small package! And a solid name to take Wyc from boyhood to manhood. Yes, you are allowed to steal it! :wink:

And now to leave you with three powerful quotes from the original [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m]:

• “This Bible is for the Government of the People, by the People, and for the People.” — You may have noticed, a famous US [name_m]President[/name_m] pinched this one, but lost the original meaning, altering it to be about the US government rather than the Bible. [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m]’s original quote was a radically transformative claim, especially in the era he made it.
  • “By the law of [name_m]Christ[/name_m], every man is bound to love his neighbour as himself; but every servant is a neighbour of every civil lord; therefore every civil lord must love any of his servants as himself; but by natural instinct, every lord abhors slavery; therefore, by the law of charity, he is bound not to impose slavery on any brother.”
  • “The true [name_u]Christian[/name_u] was intended by [name_m]Christ[/name_m] to prove all things by the Word of God: all churches, all ministers, all teaching, all preaching, all doctrines, all sermons, all writings, all opinions, all practices. These are his marching orders.”

^ During the conversion to the new Nameberry forums, it looks like the lists in my past posts were lost. Most importantly, the names of Wyc’s sisters have disappeared from some posts. Here they are again:

1. [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Verna[/name_f] [name_f]Mercy[/name_f], nn [name_f]Eve[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f], nn [name_f]Meg[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] [name_f]Christina[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f], nn [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f], nn [name_f]Dot[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_f]Glory[/name_f], nn [name_f]Bess[/name_f]
  6. [name_f]Mariana[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f], nn [name_u]Maria[/name_u]
  7. [name_f]Corinna[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_u]Truth[/name_u], nn [name_f]Cora[/name_f]

[name_f]Dot[/name_f] and [name_f]Bess[/name_f] are identical twins.

^^ Next time you read [name_m]Beowulf[/name_m], you’ll notice that the hero who replaces [name_m]Beowulf[/name_m] as king at the end of the epic shares one plausible variant of the name [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m].

25 Likes

What a beautiful story behind your boy’s name! It was a joy to read, and I can tell how passionate you are about his name! [name_m]Little[/name_m] Wyc has been given a beautiful name! Congratulations! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Congrats on little Wyc! So happy for you all!

1 Like

Wow, [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m] “Wyc” — I love it! His full name is super handsome too.

Congratulations on your wonderful #8! :confetti_ball:

2 Likes

Thank you each for such kind words!

1 Like

You have a beautifully named set of children. I love how meaningful your son’s name is, and what a cool, unique nickname, too! Congratulations on your little boy – certainly a gift from God!

1 Like

Wow! I think this is the best birth and name announcement I’ve seen!
Congratulations to you and your amazing family :confetti_ball: :tada:

Your son has an awesome name! It’s charming, unexpected, interesting, memorable and meaningful! I love it :heart: I adore the meaning behind your choices. The nickname Wyc is very cool and spunky.
I absolutely adore your daughter’s names! They’re gorgeous!

Thank you for sharing so many details with us!
I wish you all the best!
Good luck :four_leaf_clover: Stay Safe

1 Like

Wow!! What an amazing name!! I can’t tell you how happy this makes me!! I’m a complete history geek and I’m absolutely blown away by the meaning and significance of his name. I enjoyed reading this so, so much. I’m not planning on having kids for at least a decade, but because you said we’re allowed to steal it, it’s going on my favorites list and I’ll probably use it for a character!

Sorry for the number of exclamation points, but I’m so happy for you and your (beautifully named) family. I’m sure your girls must be over the moon to have a brother. All the best, and I hope you stay safe and happy during these crazy times

1 Like

Congratulations! What a wonderful name! I read “[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m]” and immediately thought of [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Wycliffe[/name_m], an incredible namesake. It was so cool when you confirmed that that was an honor name for you guys. I love all your kids’ names!!

1 Like

You all made my day. Woke up this morning to your extremely encouraging comments. Thanks!

1 Like

You are most welcome to nab the name. I’d love to hear if you do use it!

1 Like

Very handsome and so well thought out. Congrats!

1 Like

Wow! Your children have beautiful and sentimental names! Congratulations on your new addition.

1 Like

Thanks again all.

As an update, we’re finding Wyc is an easy name for people to get behind, which we’re super grateful for. It was unintended, but we reckon the fact [name_f]English[/name_f] already has old school nicknames like [name_m]Mick[/name_m], [name_u]Nick[/name_u], [name_m]Rick[/name_m], and [name_m]Vick[/name_m] seems to mean there’s sort of a mental groove made ready for a new name like Wyc.

4 Likes

Obsessed. What an amazing story and name. Enjoy that sweet baby.

1 Like

Love all your children’s names. Marvelous. Congrats

1 Like

Great name, great reason. Your love for your children shines through. Wish them a happy life!

1 Like

That is the best, most thorough explanation of why a name was chosen that I’ve ever read. I like the Biblical connection. Many congratulations on baby #8!

1 Like

Very sweet!