Mei-Lin?

I recently started a new job, and I have been hearing all these new names lately. [name]Mei[/name]-[name]Lin[/name] (Maylin? Maelyn?) was one I heard recently and loved. I thought it sounded very Chinese and adorable… and from the little research I’ve been able to do, [name]Mei[/name]-[name]Lin[/name] would mean “beautiful forest”, I think. Does [name]Mei[/name]-[name]Lin[/name]/Maylin sound too trendy? I love it, and I plan to adopt one day… if I adopted from [name]China[/name], I think using something like [name]Isabelle[/name] [name]Mei[/name]-[name]Lin[/name] or [name]Eve[/name] [name]Mei[/name]-[name]Lin[/name] would be really cute.

I guess I’m just worried about how usable/trendy it is. WDYT?

Thanks!

I think [name]Mei[/name]-[name]Lin[/name] is a beautiful, soft and feminine Chinese name. I know a Chinese girl who has the two names together like [name]Meilin[/name]. I don’t think that [name]Mei[/name]-[name]Lin[/name] looks trendy but Maylin and Maelyn sure do. If you adopt from [name]China[/name], do use the Chinese spelling. I like the [name]Isabel[/name] [name]Mei[/name]-[name]Lin[/name] spelling the best. Good luck!

I think [name]Mei[/name]-[name]Lin[/name] is lovely! I would be so excited to see this used. Definitely stick to the original spelling, though.

[name]Even[/name] though I don’t really have plans to adopt, I have a small list of beautiful foreign names handy because I like the idea of honouring the culture of a child. [name]Mei[/name]-lin definitely just went on it! (Not Maylin or Maelyn though, which do look madey-uppy.) I even prefer [name]Mei[/name]-lin to [name]Meilin[/name], and I think the hyper gives it the right stress (the way I’d pronounce it as a smooshed-up name is too close to mailing!). Beautiful, though.

ive heard [name]Mei[/name]-[name]Lin[/name] before…it sounds like a soft pretty classic chinese name…nothing trendy about it :slight_smile:

Being Chinese, it’s not a name I would have chosen. If you don’t know Chinese, it’s a bit hard to explain why not… a name with [name]Mei[/name] (beautiful) in it sounds dated to me.

If you want the meaning to be “beautiful forest”, you will need to know the intonation so that it’s pronounced correctly (there are 4 tones for each sound), otherwise you might get a totally different meaning. I don’t know Mandarin well to tell you how to pronounce it properly. If you have Chinese friends, check with them first.