Melbourne and Bauer?

My late great-grandfather was named [name]Melvin[/name], nn [name]Mel[/name]. This name is a little too old-fashioned for my taste, but I was hoping to name a future child after him. I was thinking about names for future kids and I thought about the name [name]Melbourne[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think this is a good name for a little boy? Possible nns? And possible middle names?

My late great-grandfather on my father’s side was named [name]William[/name] Beary yes this is spelled correctly. Personally I don’t like the name Beary or [name]William[/name], are there any names derived from these two? Or that mean the same thing? Or possible nns? I like [name]Bauer[/name] or [name]Bear[/name] instead of Beary.

What do you think of [name]Bear[/name] and [name]Melbourne[/name]? I’m not quite sure about [name]Bear[/name], it just doesn’t go well with [name]Melbourne[/name].
[name]Bauer[/name] (like [name]Jack[/name] [name]Bauer[/name]) is a cool name, but it’s a little far-off from Beary and yet it also sounds better than [name]Bear[/name].

HELP! What do you think?

Thanks,

[name]Renee[/name]

My issue with [name]Melbourne[/name] is that it is pronounced two distinctively different ways. [name]North[/name] Americans (my hubby included) pronounce it [name]Mel[/name]-[name]Born[/name]. The city, and the English [name]Lord[/name] who was honored with the name sake, is pronounced [name]Mel[/name]-Bun. This may lead to confusion!

[name]North[/name] Americans also mispronounce Brisbane. It is not Bris-Bane, it is Bris-Bun. And just to confuse you all even more, [name]Jervis[/name] is pronounced [name]Jarvis[/name], and Muswellbrook is pronounced Muscle-[name]Brook[/name]. :lol:

[name]Melbourne[/name] could work. Like the pp said, Americans pronounce this differently than Australians, which could cause confusion if you’re in the US because those who know to pronounce it “[name]Mel[/name]-bin” might say it that way, while others would say “[name]Mel[/name]-born”. I would pair it with something relatively simple, like [name]Melbourne[/name] [name]Charles[/name] or [name]Melbourne[/name] [name]Joseph[/name], to offset its unusualness. Another way to honor [name]Melvin[/name] would be to use [name]Melville[/name] or Melchoir, or if you have a daughter use something like [name]Melissa[/name], [name]Melinda[/name], [name]Melina[/name], [name]Melora[/name], etc. As for Beary, I wouldn’t use the name [name]Bear[/name]. It’s easily confused with the word “bare” and it has lots of teasing potential. [name]Bauer[/name] is cool, but it feels kind of far removed from Beary… That’s not necessarily a bad thing. [name]How[/name] about using a name that means “bear”? There’s [name]Arthur[/name], [name]Oberon[/name], [name]Orson[/name], and [name]Ursa[/name]/[name]Ursula[/name] for a girl. [name]Hope[/name] that helps!