Melody nn Elodie

See the results of this poll: Wdyt’

Respondents: 27 (This poll is closed)

• Positive : 10 (37%)
  • Negative : 12 (44%)
  • Other: 5 (19%)

Why not just [name]Elodie[/name]? Its so much prettier than [name]Melody[/name] and a fine name on its own.
I like [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Claire[/name] as a combo. Its very sweet and French.

Why wouldn’t you just name her [name]Elodie[/name]? [name]Elodie[/name] is a name on it’s own, it seems silly in my opinion to add an M on there and never use it.

I’m not really a fan of [name]Melody[/name] nn [name]Elodie[/name]. [name]Both[/name] names are fine, and I love [name]Elodie[/name], but I don’t understand using one as a nickname. It just makes no sense to me- the names are the exact same length, in number of syllables and letters, and almost identical in sound. Why bother with the inevitable confusion of using two nearly-identical but completely unrelated names for the same person? It seems very confusing and odd to me. I think you should just pick the one you like best.

I agree with violetgray, if she’s going to go by [name]Elodie[/name] the majority of the time, why not just name her [name]Elodie[/name]? I actually like it a bit more than [name]Melody[/name], it seems like a fresh spin on it.
As for middle names, something like [name]Rosamund[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name], or [name]Matilda[/name] would be nice.

• [name]Athena[/name]

I like [name]Elodie[/name] on its own- soft, pretty and fairly uncommon, but not weird. But [name]Melody[/name] is pretty too. [name]Melody[/name] [name]Autumn[/name] is a really nice combination, and I also like [name]Melody[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Melody[/name] [name]Kate[/name], [name]Melody[/name] [name]Eve[/name], and [name]Melody[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name].

I think it’s cute, though I would probably spell the nickname [name]Elody[/name] to make it more obvious that it’s short for [name]Melody[/name].

[name]Both[/name] names are OK with me, but I hardly think of [name]Elodie[/name] as a nn for [name]Melody[/name]. For one thing, it’s not any shorter, or cuter, or that different…I’d suggest using one or the other, either with no nn at all or with something that’s actually a nn rather than another name.

I don’t like [name]Elodie[/name] as much as [name]Melody[/name]. That’s way I think put [name]Melody[/name] on name certificate. When you say it, [name]Elodie[/name] is one letter shorter, nicknames on paper means little. I think I will call her [name]Melody[/name] much more then [name]Elodie[/name], just want to ask your opinion on eventual nn.

In MY opinion, if you want to go with a nickname. [name]Mel[/name] or D/[name]Dee[/name] make a lot more sense than [name]Elodie[/name].

Also if you do use [name]Elodie[/name] as a nickname, it makes more sense to spell it [name]Elody[/name] so it relates to [name]Melody[/name].

I think there’s no sense talking how nicknames are spelled. When I say [name]Elodie[/name], don’t eat that! [name]Melody[/name]! in front of 10 people, they would hear /eh-loh-dee/, not [name]Elody[/name] or [name]Elodie[/name]. It’s hard to hear spelled word if someone don’t say it.

Nicknames do get spelled though. I have three friends named [name]Katie[/name]/[name]Katy[/name] and none of them write [name]Kathryn[/name]/[name]Kathrine[/name]/[name]Catherine[/name], down on their homework or when they sign things, it’s always [name]Katie[/name]/[name]Katy[/name].

Again, it does depend how often you plan on using it or if the child decides to use the nickname. (This is all just my opinion by the way, you can do whatever you want. I’m just being honest since you asked)

Exactly, she would choose how to spelled her nn, but when she would be three, how I spelled nn would not be so much important.

love [name]Melody[/name], maybe
[name]Melody[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Melody[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Melody[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Melody[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Melody[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Melody[/name] [name]Arabelle[/name]

I much prefer [name]Elodie[/name] to [name]Melody[/name]. If you plan to call her [name]Elodie[/name] anyway, why not bypass [name]Melody[/name] and go straight to [name]Elodie[/name] as a first name? [name]Even[/name] though they sound similar, I’m not sure that [name]Elodie[/name] is a legitimate nickname for [name]Melody[/name]. [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Anne[/name], [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Claire[/name], [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Kate[/name], and [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Rose[/name] are just a few lovely combos for that name. All of those should also work for [name]Melody[/name].

It isn’t. [name]Both[/name] are names and recognized as names. [name]Melody[/name] is a word name. [name]Elodie[/name] has French/Greek origins. They are two separate names, which is why I don’t think [name]Elodie[/name] works because it’s not a legitimate nickname.

I think you need to edit your original post with this information. As you can see, people aren’t necessarily going to read through all of the posts and you’re going to continue to get the same suggestion over and over and over again. :slight_smile:

I agree, I like the idea of putting the longer, more “formal” name as the given name. And I know, [name]Elodie[/name] IS a name in it’s own right, and it’s lovely. But, if you like [name]Melody[/name], that’s the name that needs to go on the birth certificate. And, [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Elody[/name], [name]Mel[/name], [name]Oddie[/name] (a play on [name]Ottie[/name])…whatever will work as a nn. [name]Delia[/name] is a name in it’s own right, but will probably be one of the many nn’s of our [name]Cordelia[/name].

I like [name]Elodie[/name], but would probably never use it as a fn. Though, I would totally use [name]Melody[/name] and have it for a nn! :slight_smile:

As for a mn, I’m a sucker for “A” names, depending on your ln. I’d pull up the list of names beginning with “A” on here and say each one together with [name]Melody[/name].

It’s not big strech. :slight_smile:

I think [name]Elodie[/name] is so cute, but don’t think it makes a good nickname for [name]Melody[/name]… it isn’t less syllables, just removes the “M” and it ends in “ie” when the original ends in “y.” I’d actually prefer the name [name]Elodie[/name] (called that) maybe with the nn [name]Elle[/name] or [name]Ellie[/name].

I think of nicknames as shortening/cutening a given name. Often, for me, I’m searching for a full name to get to a desired nickname, because the nickname itself feels too short.

Here, though, all you’re doing is dropping the first consonant and (hopefully) altering the pronunciation ([name]MEL[/name]-oh-dee becomes el-OH-dee). Same number of syllables. It would be like [name]Maddie[/name] nn [name]Addie[/name], [name]Sally[/name] nn [name]Allie[/name], [name]Neve[/name] nn [name]Eve[/name], Noël nn [name]Noa[/name]. I think those types of nicknames are for the name-wearer to use if they decide they’re not keen on their given name, not to be bestowed on a kid.

That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with either name… It’s just the logic of them used in that way that gives me pause.

[name]Melodia[/name] nn [name]Elodie[/name] would work a little better, perhaps? Not necessary, if what you really love is [name]Elodie[/name]. But if you’re doing what I do, looking for a more “complete” name to get to the [name]Elodie[/name] nn, “meh-LOH-dee-uh” nn “eh-LOH-dee” seems more logical.