Memphis is it girl or boy to you?

I know being a place name its technically unisex but when you hear the name [name_u]Memphis[/name_u] do you think boy or girl? And why,if there’s a reason. DH Is stuck on this name and I need objective opinions. Thank you berries.

I associate it with boy only because I know of a little boy named [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]Memphis[/name_u]. Honestly, I never really thought of it as a name before him.

Boy because there has been some male realty TV person with it as a first name.

Neither. It’s a city and that’s it.

To me it’s the same as saying, does Los [name_f]Angeles[/name_f] sound male or female? Is Pittsburgh a girl or a boy? What gender would you expect someone named Bismark to be?

More boy to me because I saw a boy with the name.

Boy.I did not even hear of it being unisex.

Well, technically, place names SHOULD be gender neutral but …due to the Egyptian ancient capital city of [name_u]Memphis[/name_u] (I think of this association before [name_u]Memphis[/name_u], [name_u]Tennessee[/name_u]), I have images of pharaohs so I think [name_u]Memphis[/name_u] sounds better on a boy. It’s also similar to a lot of ancient [name_m]Roman[/name_m] boys names that end in “s” ([name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_m]Claudius[/name_m] etc…) so that fact kind of reinforces my male preference.

It’s one of the most dangerous cities in the US to me.

Boy. In the movie [name_f]Happy[/name_f] Feet, Mumble’s father is named [name_u]Memphis[/name_u].

HAHA… yes!

If I had to pick one though, I’d say that it sounds better on a boy.

I think boy. I guess because, with my southern accent, it has a harsh tone that seems more male to me. I can see a boy being called [name_u]Memphis[/name_u], Memp, or Hiss.

It’s a boy’s name to me. It’s also the city where a significant amount of the guests at my work come from.

It is all boy to me, but I’m not sure why. It doesn’t really seem like a name for a person to me.

Boy. I’ve only ever run into boys with the name and I think it would be really strange on a girl.

I would say boy because I know a little boy whose middle name is [name_u]Memphis[/name_u] but it Greek mythology it is a female name.

Boy, it’s a male character in the movie Gone in Sixty Seconds, that’s the only time I’ve heard it used as name of a person as opposed to a place name.

I love it for either!

Boy, but only because of two movie associations. [name_f]Happy[/name_f] Feet and Gone in Sixty Seconds.

[name_m]Both[/name_m]. It’s a favorite for both genders

100% Agree! It’s a place not a person in my opinion. I guess to each their own though… I just don’t like it for either.