Mercy?

WDYT of the name [name]Mercy[/name]? I kinda like it. I don’t like the sound that much though.

Thanks!

I’m not crazy about it. There’s a soap opera here in the UK where I think they use [name]Mercy[/name] as a nn for [name]Mercedes[/name] (not 100% sure because I don’t watch it much and am embarrassed I watch it at all!), which I think at least gives some other options if she doesn’t like [name]Mercy[/name] as a nn. Although then of course you have the car name issue…

I think it’s a nice name, but it sounds very Catholic to me, which is fine if you want a religious association. For me, the main drawback is that it also sounds like the name of a High School. There are just too many [name]Mercy[/name] High Schools out there.

I think the sound is more important than the meaning. I think it is close to [name]Marcy[/name] which I don’t like. I also tend not to like names of some quality or attitude that’s apparent in the language - for instance all the virtue names of which I think [name]Mercy[/name] is related mean something not just to the person with the name but to everyone. My name means “pure” but it’s not like my parents named me that to make sure everyone knows (they think) I’m pure. I’m wary of names like [name]Grace[/name] (as pretty as it sounds compared to a lot of others, like [name]Constance[/name]) in the way that I am not really put off by [name]Rose[/name], which is also a word. A beautiful flower my child may not be, but it’s a lot better to me to liken a child to a flower than a quality or virtue to live up to.

[name]Mercy[/name] is a great virtue. [name]Clementine[/name] also means the same thing and even though we have the word ‘clemency’ in English to make it very obvious, it’s just not quite the word on the tip of everyone’s tongue unless they have a job in the judicial system.

In sum, when naming a child an important meaning, I prefer it to be somewhat obscured from obvious English language reference, especially where qualities and virtues are concerned. And when you don’t like the sound of the name, just cross it off the list - the meaning isn’t worth going through life with a name that doesn’t sound positively euphonious to you.

I think of [name]Madonna[/name] and her new daughter, [name]Mercy[/name]. I’m not personally a fan of [name]Mercy[/name] (I think of [name]Marcy[/name]), although I can definitely see its appeal. I really love other virtue names, though, like [name]Hope[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Blythe[/name] (feels virtuous to me), and [name]Verity[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Mercy[/name]! It’s been a favorite of mine ever since I read “The Witch of Blackbird Pond”, with its lovely, self-sacrificing character named [name]Mercy[/name]. I don’t like its sound so much as, say, [name]Charity[/name], but it is beautiful and classic name. In general I like Puritan names a lot: [name]Mercy[/name], [name]Priscilla[/name], and even [name]Remember[/name].

A friend of a friend of mine is named [name]Mercedes[/name] and she goes by [name]Mercy[/name] or [name]Merc[/name]. It’s not my style - but it’s not awful IMHO.

I like it a lot, but I tend to like some of the less traditional virtue names. [name]Hope[/name] and [name]Faith[/name]… not a fan. I definitely prefer [name]Mercy[/name], [name]Amity[/name], [name]Verity[/name].

Echoing Megf84 - [name]Mercedes[/name] was one of my favorite names when I was a young teen. This was before I met anyone with this name. [name]Mercy[/name] reminds me a little of [name]Marie[/name]. I’m neutral towards it.

I like [name]Mercy[/name].

I think of this book immediately when I see the name [name]Mercy[/name]. I loved the character, loved the book. The name however seems more suited to that Puritan time period, I don’t think it updates well as a first name. I could see it as a middle name.