Meredith/Merida to honour Mary?

What do you think of using either [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] or [name_f]Merida[/name_f] as a honour name for [name_f]Mary[/name_f]? This is a puzzle I’ve been trying to put together for ages now, and I just can’t get excited about any of the names usually suggested as honour names for [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. [name_f]Marie[/name_f], [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f], [name_f]Marin[/name_f], etc… nothing strikes me as amazing.

And what would you nickname [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] or [name_f]Merida[/name_f]? (I can only think of [name_f]Merry[/name_f], which is sweet, but I’d love more ideas!)

I think it is a great way to honor a [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. I love [name_u]Meredith[/name_u].

[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
Mare
Ere - prn [name_f]Air[/name_f]
[name_f]Eri[/name_f]
[name_u]Edi[/name_u]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Di[/name_f]
Reda

[name_f]Merida[/name_f]
[name_f]Eri[/name_f]
Ri
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]

Ooh, thanks @xmintiex !! I’m so glad you pointed out the ‘[name_f]Edith[/name_f]’ in [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] - I didn’t notice that, and [name_f]Edith[/name_f] is a family name too! Extra special!

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] is perfectly, divinely beautiful on her own. I love it more than [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]. You could also use [name_f]Mae[/name_f].

[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]! Nickname Mer.

I like [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]! I have a friend [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] and she loves her name! Also, there’s [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] from [name_u]Grey[/name_u]'s Anatomy which is a HUGE bonus :slight_smile:
I think the most intuitive nns for [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] are Mer or [name_f]Merry[/name_f], but [name_f]Edie[/name_f] or [name_f]Mae[/name_f] might also work. I really like [name_f]Merry[/name_f] or [name_f]Edie[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_u]Meredith[/name_u] nn [name_f]Edith[/name_f] or [name_f]Edie[/name_f] is beautiful and classic

I love the name [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]

I think both [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] and [name_f]Merida[/name_f] are great ways to honor [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]
[name_f]Mare[/name_f]
Reda/[name_f]Rita[/name_f]

[name_f]Merida[/name_f]
[name_f]Mare[/name_f]
[name_u]Ari[/name_u]
[name_f]Ree[/name_f]/Rie

Other [name_f]Mary[/name_f] honor names:
Maryn/[name_f]Maren[/name_f], [name_f]Marin[/name_f], [name_u]Marion[/name_u], [name_f]Marcy[/name_f], [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_f]Marine[/name_f], [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], [name_f]Margie[/name_f], [name_u]Marlow/name_u, [name_f]Mara/name_f, [name_f]Marae[/name_f], [name_f]Maragold[/name_f], [name_f]Maranda[/name_f], [name_f]Marcella[/name_f], [name_f]Marcelia[/name_f], [name_f]Marcene[/name_f], [name_f]Marcena[/name_f]/[name_f]Marcina[/name_f], [name_f]Marciana[/name_f], Mardelle, Mardelia, [name_u]Maret[/name_u]/[name_f]Marette[/name_f], [name_f]Margaro[/name_f], [name_f]Margisia[/name_f], [name_f]Marial[/name_f]/[name_f]Marielle[/name_f], [name_f]Mariessa[/name_f], [name_f]Mariposa[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Posey[/name_f]), [name_f]Maris[/name_f], [name_f]Mariska[/name_f], [name_f]Marisse[/name_f], [name_f]Marizol[/name_f] (nns [name_u]Zola[/name_u], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_u]Izzy[/name_u], Izo), [name_f]Marla[/name_f], [name_f]Marlys[/name_f], [name_f]Marsellonia[/name_f] (nns [name_u]Loni[/name_u], [name_f]Sela[/name_f], [name_f]Nia[/name_f]), [name_f]Marshay[/name_f], [name_f]Marta[/name_f], and [name_f]Martia[/name_f].

Thanks everyone! I’m thinking [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] is a better choice than [name_f]Merida[/name_f] now, and I think I like [name_f]Merry[/name_f] or [name_f]Edie[/name_f]/[name_f]Edith[/name_f] as a nickname. I’d love more suggestions though!

[name_u]Meredith[/name_u] and [name_f]Merida[/name_f] are both great honour names for [name_f]Mary[/name_f], clever and different but totally makes sense. It’s great that [name_f]Edith[/name_f] honours a family member too. I love the idea of [name_f]Edie[/name_f] as a nickname. [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] would work for either one too. I personally prefer [name_f]Merida[/name_f] to [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] because it sounds more feminine, but both are lovely.

No worries! I like to play with names and getting NNs out of them.
You should definitely use [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]! I feel like names with some family ties are the best!
I have [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] on my list and the NN i like is [name_u]Edi[/name_u].

I really don’t like [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], at all. As well as not likening the way it looks and sounds I find it far too masculine.

I think there are much better names to honour a [name_f]Mary[/name_f]

I like both and I think that’s a great, fresh way to honor [name_f]Mary[/name_f]!:slight_smile:

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the suggestion of [name_f]Edith[/name_f] as a nn for [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]! Never thought of that. Or sweet [name_f]Edie[/name_f] would work. [name_f]Merry[/name_f]/[name_f]Meri[/name_f] is also cute, even though more obvious.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the idea of [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], @bonfireazalea !