Merida

I’ve recently been reading about the upcoming Disney/Pixar movie, Brave, which looks like it is going to be great! I have a question about the princess’s name, Merida. It is a lovely name that I’ve never before encountered. I haven’t found much info on it here at nameberry yet. Does anyone know its origin, meaning, or any other information about it? It doesn’t seem ultra Scottish to me, but I could be wrong. [name]Do[/name] you think the new movie will alter its popularity?

I found this link for you. Message: "Re: Meaning of name" - Behind the Name

I don’t really know much about the movie, either, but I would say that Merida doesn’t seem very Scottish to me, either! Especially after I found that link. I think it’s a cool name and I like the meaning Behind the Name listed. I think I actually prefer the Emerita, though!

I believe I read somewhere that Pixar made the name up for the movie. I’ll go and see if I can refind the article or whever it was that I found that.

I studied abroad in a beautiful city in Mexico called Merida. That’s the only place I’ve heard the name. I love the idea of it being used as a girls name.

I know a Merida and she is from Puerto [name]Rico[/name]. I dont really know anything about the name though, sorry.

My friend had a character named Merida! She named it after the city in Mexico. I always thought it was a very pretty name.

I can’t tell you anything about the origin, but I did know a girl in high school named Merida. She was one of the sweetest girls I’ve ever met and had a shining personality. She pronounced it mehr-ih-DUH, the emphasis on the last syllable.

The brand of my bicyle is Merida, and that’s the only time I’ve heard of it :smiley: . It would have a cute nn of [name]Merry[/name] though, and I actually prefer Merida (pronounced Meh-ree-dah for the bikes anyway!) to the name [name]Nerida[/name].

Thanks for all of the information! [name]Merry[/name] would be a cute nickname!

I am name Merida and was named after the city in Venezuela. There are cities of the same name in Mexico and Spain, as you can see from other posts. My parents married there in the early 1960’s. I have only met one other Merida and wonder if after this movie there is going to be a run on the name!!