Merle

I am still collecting names!!! What are your thoughts on the name [name_u]Merle[/name_u]? I know it’s not a name that everyone will like, but I love it because it’s the name of one of my favorite country singers, the late [name_u]Merle[/name_u] Haggard. It’s one of the many singers I grew up listening to. And all the names that I pick out that I love or like would only be used as a middle name and not a first name.

4 Likes

Funnily, [name_u]Merle[/name_u] is a very common name in my peer group - for girls!
For boys it feels more retro, almost forgotten. If it weren’t for the singer I might not even know it can be a male name. It also reminds me of [name_u]Earl[/name_u]. I think it could make for a cool retro revival name, but to be honest I do not like the sound of it.

1 Like

[name_u]Merle[/name_u] is very charming - a great meaning, a nice sentiment to you and a lovely sounding :slight_smile: I’ve met one woman called [name_u]Merle[/name_u] but I like it on any gender

1 Like

[name_u]Merle[/name_u] has been a favorite of mine (for girls) since we started baby-naming, but my SO vanished it to the realm of pet-names because he can’t get on board with it. To me, its a serious yet cute name, which is a difficult balance to reach when it comes to female names.

1 Like

I really like [name_u]Merle[/name_u] and think it can totally be a neutral name!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Merle[/name_u]! Honestly I prefer it on a boy, but I think it’s a solid choice for either gender. Because it’s one syllable and has an easy sound to it I could see [name_u]Merle[/name_u] fitting with tons of other names- perfect for a middle!

1 Like

I absolutely love it for any gender but think it’s particularly captivating on a girl :dove:

1 Like

Not something I would personally use, but come to think about it I do like it. It’s definitely not used as much as it should be. It’s one of those few older names that feels truly gender neutral, though I’d probably say I’d prefer it on a girl, not completely sure though.

1 Like

I think it’s interesting. It reminds me of [name_u]Merle[/name_u] [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] and the sound is reminiscent of [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. (I had no idea it was considered a unisex name before clicking on this thread - I’ve only heard of women called it.)

1 Like