Met a little Michelangelo today....thoughts?

You can’t imagine how surprised I was when I met a friend of a friend today, who brought along her 4 year old son: [name]Michelangelo[/name].

[name]Ever[/name] since that meeting, I’ve thought about it, and I’m starting to really like it! The artist was a genius (in my mind) so I think it’s a great namesake to have.

She told me her son gets a lot of nicknames: [name]Angel[/name], [name]Mickey[/name], [name]Mike[/name], [name]Mikey[/name], [name]Angelo[/name], [name]Michel[/name], etc.

He was a very sweet little boy too, so it made the name even better.

I think I might consider it for a middle name (maybe a first name, but I’m not sure [name]Theo[/name] would approve). :slight_smile:

I just wish I had asked her if he had a middle name…

Thoughts on [name]Michelangelo[/name]??

Aww I love this! I’d be elated to meet a little Michaelangelo. I’m sure it’d get shortened to [name]Michael[/name] eventually, though.

I like it pronounced mick-ell-AHN-juh-lo. [name]Don[/name]'t really care for the Americanized pronunciation of my-kul-[name]ANN[/name]-juh-lo. I think depending on the family and the child, the way the name is worn, it could be really pretentious or really fun and whimsical.

That is how he and his mother pronounced it. I don’t much care for the Americanized pronunciation either. (Plus being Italian, that is how I and my mother’s side of the family pronounce it anyway)

Thanks for the responses so far!! :slight_smile:

I don’t really like it but I think the nicknames are all pretty cute!

IMHO, I think it sounds a little pretentious. Sorry!

I like it. He could go by [name]Mick[/name] to, a la [name]Mick[/name] [name]Jagger[/name]. That would give it a bit of a rocker edge.

This. And I’m a complete art history nerd! Maybe as a middle name, but it’s [name]OTT[/name] for me as a first.

Very nice and bold!

I love it in concept, but if I met a [name]Michelangelo[/name] who wasn’t Italian I’d find it really pretentious.

I love it! I’d love to meet one.

I love it! I’m American and I’ve never heard it pronounced the “my-kul” way. I’ve always said it the “mick-ell” way. I think there are some super cute nickname ideas, and the name itself is majestic and artistic and gorgeous. I’d use it!

[name]Love[/name] it, and don’t think it’s any more pretentious than [name]Leonardo[/name], which is to say that I don’t think it’s pretentious at all.

People are often hesitant to use names that have an identity attached to them, but if you look beyond the renaissance painter, i think its a beautiful name.

Interesting…thanks for the responses! :slight_smile:

I never thought it was pretentious, even though the boy was not Italian (I asked). I think if that is the worst thing about [name]Michelangelo[/name]…I think I might seriously consider using it for a first name as well (IF I can get [name]Theo[/name] on board). After all, he will have the Italian heritage to not make it so odd, and he can always go by one of many nicknames!

I personally see the only downfall of [name]Michelangelo[/name] is how long the name is, but I can look past that. It’s not a deal breaker. :slight_smile:

Thanks again everyone! :slight_smile:

That is exactly how I feel too! :slight_smile: