Michael for Mack?

We love the name [name_m]Mack[/name_m] for a little boy, but want to look for a longer name. We’re not sure if we want to use a longer form, but we’re just looking at the options we have.

We’re not too fond of [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u], McCarty/[name_u]McCarthy[/name_u], McCartney, [name_m]McCoy[/name_m], [name_u]McKinley[/name_u] or [name_m]Macauley[/name_m]. We don’t hate them, but we don’t want to settle on something we don’t completely love.

But we did think of [name_u]Michael[/name_u], which would also honor several men in our lives (my father, DH’s grandfather and a close friend). But we’re not sure of it would be a stretch or would sound forced.

Would [name_u]Michael[/name_u] nn [name_m]Mack[/name_m] work?

It’s not the most intuitive, but yeah, I do think it could work. If he grows up as [name_m]Mack[/name_m], people will just call him that. They may be a little surprised to find out his full name is [name_u]Michael[/name_u], but I don’t think it would be a big deal.

I really like it and I think it makes sense. I knew a [name_m]Mackie[/name_m] (who was in his mid 20’s) and I had no idea it was short for anything until I saw his full name on Facebook. I really prefer [name_u]Michael[/name_u] to [name_u]MacKenzie[/name_u] and [name_m]Mack[/name_m] really freshens [name_u]Michael[/name_u] up.

I think it would work.

you might like:
[name_m]Maxim[/name_m]/[name_m]Maksim[/name_m]
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u]

What about [name_m]Maverick[/name_m] nn [name_m]Mack[/name_m]

That works.

I think it works. I went to school with a guy called Macky, his real name is [name_m]Matthew[/name_m]. (I think his brother couldn’t say [name_u]Matty[/name_u] and Macky stuck.)

Sure, I guess. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]?

I’ve known a couple Michaels who got Mic(k) or [name_u]Mickey[/name_u], so why not? It does seem more of a stretch than [name_m]Mick[/name_m], but there’s an “A” in [name_u]Michael[/name_u], too, and I think it could work. I also think [name_m]Mac/name_m could work as an unexpected nn for [name_u]Max[/name_u]- names ([name_m]Maxwell[/name_m], [name_m]Maxim[/name_m], [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m], [name_m]Maximus[/name_m], etc.). I think [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] is also a good idea. I personally love [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] nn [name_m]Mac[/name_m], but if you don’t, I think [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is a pretty great option, as long as you’re willing to deal with some people not really “getting” it. I wouldn’t have, at first, but I don’t know why you couldn’t use it. :slight_smile:

I think [name_m]Mack[/name_m] is too much of a stretch for [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. What about [name_m]Marcus[/name_m], [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m], [name_m]Malachi[/name_m], [name_m]Macallister[/name_m] or [name_m]Maclean[/name_m]?

Personally, I think you should just name him [name_m]Mack[/name_m]. It’s a really great name and doesn’t need a longer, more “official name.” [name_u]Michael[/name_u] seems like too big of a leap. Of course it would work, because he would grow up as [name_m]Mack[/name_m]––but then [name_f]IMO[/name_f], what’s the point of [name_u]Michael[/name_u]?

However, if you do want something longer, you could go the [name_u]Max[/name_u] route? ie. [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m], [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m], [name_m]Maximus[/name_m], etc.

I have [name_m]Mack[/name_m] on my long list. It’s been a name crush of mine, so I have several thoughts regarding the matter.

1. [name_m]Mack[/name_m] can totally stand on it’s own, in my opinion. We have boys named [name_m]Zach[/name_m], and [name_m]Jack[/name_m], so why not [name_m]Mack[/name_m]?

2. The two long forms of [name_m]Mack[/name_m] that I have considered for me, are [name_u]Michael[/name_u] and [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]. [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is my father’s name, so like you, it would be an honor name. But, baby would get his own identity by being called [name_m]Mack[/name_m]. I don’t think it is too far of a stretch either. [name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of [name_u]Michael[/name_u]'s get called [name_m]Mick[/name_m]. So why not [name_m]Mack[/name_m]? [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] I just think is a great name that could also easily lend itself to [name_m]Mack[/name_m].

I think [name_u]Michael[/name_u] would work just fine as a longer name. Maybe not the most obvious, but definitely not the weirdest.

If you’re still on the fence, I think [name_m]Mack[/name_m] would work on it’s own :wink: