Michaela or Mikayla

We are really wanting to name this 3rd baby girl after my brother who passed away. His middle name was [name]Michael[/name]. While my plan has always been just to use that as her middle name, regardless of first, I am now considering it as a first in the feminine version. I just came across the pronunciation Mee KAH eh la instead of Mi [name]KAY[/name] la. I realize people would probably not say it that way most of the time but wanted to see if anyone had heard of this pronunciation and/or what you think of it. Thanks!

I should add that with that pronunciation we would spell it [name]Michaela[/name].

I’ve heard mee-kah-[name]EL[/name]-a and mi-[name]KAY[/name]-la, but never mee-KAH-eh-la. I’d spell it [name]Michaela[/name] either way, and I think it’s a great way to honor a [name]Michael[/name]- I’m sorry to hear about the circumstances.

First, I think using [name]Michaela[/name] is a wonderful way to honor your brother.

I’ve only heard of the Ma-[name]KAY[/name]-la/Mi-[name]KAY[/name]-la pronunciation, and I think this is what the vast majority of people would use unless told otherwise. I personally find Mee-KAH-eh-la very difficult to say, but that could be just me. If you greatly prefer that pronunciation, and don’t mind correcting people, then I see no reason not to use it. However, I much prefer the Ma-[name]KAY[/name]-la pronunciation.

I do, too.

I know a [name]Michaela[/name] who pronounces it mih-CALL-uh (call = like a phone call). She is always, always “mih-[name]KAY[/name]-luh,” and has to correct acquaintances for much longer after meeting than with any other name I have experience with. Of course it depends on your region.

Is mee-KAH-eh-la a Spanish pronunciation?

Nope, that’s mee-ka-[name]EL[/name]-la, and in Spanish it’s spellend sans h, [name]Micaela[/name]. Intonation is different and the “ae” in “[name]Cael[/name]” sounds kind of like a cross between [name]Kai[/name] and Kah-eh. It’s very beautiful that way, but admittedly difficult for Americans.

I would stick with [name]Michaela[/name]. Closer to the look of your brother’s name, and it just looks cleaner. [name]Mikayla[/name] is just a trendy spelling of a beautiful name. As for the pronunciation; as far as I know that is the Spanish pronunciation of the name [name]Micaela[/name]. Very similar names, but sometimes one letter really can make all the difference.

I agree with the PP :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone! I agree that it is difficult to say. When I tried to tell DH the pronunciation this evening, I couldn’t even remember it correctly! A sure sign that others would do the same! I do like it and definitely prefer the spelling [name]Michaela[/name] for the reasons you mention. Still on the fence as to whether it is too trendy though. I should have mentioned that our other girls are [name]Hadley[/name] and [name]Emmerson[/name], but I do think it goes well with their names too.

I prefer [name]Michaela[/name] especially when honoring a [name]Michael[/name]. I prefer ma-kay-la though.

I prefer [name]Michaela[/name] one thousand times over [name]Mikayla[/name]. My spell check doesn’t like [name]Mikayla[/name] either.

I would pronounce it ma-kay-la.

Think [name]Michaela[/name] is beautiful, especially after your brother. I don’t like messing with the pronunciation (although I had a student one year who said it correctly, but spelled it horribly – Macheala – I had a made up pronunciation in my head that I used to help me remember the spelling).

One other side thing, my mom grew up with a friend named [name]Michaela[/name], who actually said it like [name]Michael[/name] with an a on the end.
MY-kull-uh Everyone called her [name]Mike[/name].

I definitely prefer [name]Michaela[/name] over [name]Mikayla[/name]. I reccomend, if you want the short “e” (-ella) sound rather than long “a” (-ayla) sound, then I’d spell it…

[name]Miquela[/name]- pn “meek-[name]Ella[/name]” or “mick-[name]Ella[/name]”.

I believe this is a legitimate Latinate spelling of [name]Michelle[/name], the feminine sp of [name]Michael[/name] NOT a trendy/yooneek sp. It precludes the name’s general popularity and pn problems, but really how many situations arise when one needs to spell out a name anyway? In college, I had a lab partner named [name]Miquela[/name], probably the only one I’ll ever meet! She really loved her name and pn it “mick-[name]Ella[/name]”

[name]Just[/name] a thought, I know “-que-” isn’t for everyone, so its totally understandable if you don’t like it! I just prefer the “ella” sound so this name works for me. I also think [name]Hadley[/name], [name]Emmerson[/name], and [name]Miquela[/name] are nice all together.