Middle Initial Question

OK, so I think we have a first name for our new baby girl ([name]Susanna[/name]) (if my husband agrees). But now I’m thinking about a middle name. The problem I keep running into is that in my mind, certain middle initials are “good” and certain middle initials are “bad.” And because people so often use their middle initial, as opposed to their full middle name, it is important to me that it be a “good” middle initial.

My question is, am I weird to be thinking this way? [name]Do[/name] others also have ideas about good and bad middle initials? I guess to me, a bad middle initial is one that suggests an unusual middle name that a person might be ashamed of.

Here are middle initials that I think are good/acceptable: A, B, C, E, J, L, M, S. Everything else just seems weird to me. For example, my brother’s middle name is [name]Nathan[/name], and when I see his name with the middle initial “N” it just seems weird to me, like it would prompt people to ask “N? What is your middle name?”

Please tell me that I’m either crazy or that others think this way too! Thanks!

No, [name]Laura[/name], I don’t think you’re overthinking it. I feel the same way about certain initials. For example, we have fallen in love with an “F” name for our future son’s middle name. But I have to confess, that “F” initial bothers me a little bit between his first and last name!

I don’t have any good reasons for why that is but I don’t think you’re alone in this! :slight_smile:

My middle initial is J, and no one asks me what it stands for. Some initials are simply more common than others. N is not one of them. But in the end, go with what feels right!

I’ve never really given it much thought but I can see why you would. My middle initial is E and I don’t think anyone has ever asked me what it stood for ([name]Elaine[/name]). I have an 8 year old named [name]Susanna[/name] [name]Jane[/name] if you’re looking for middle name ideas. We chose the [name]Jane[/name] for family reasons but I think it works very well with [name]Susanna[/name].

I think certain letters sounds prettier or nicer than others, but I don’t think it matters to the point of not choosing a name that you love because of that. My daughters name is [name]Gabriella[/name]. “G” is not the prettiest letter to me… I prefer many other ones such as A, C, E, L, M, N, R, S, T… but [name]Gabriella[/name] was the perfect name for our daughter.