Middle name for Anakin Richin?

See the results of this poll: Middle name for Anakin Richin?

Respondents: 47 (This poll is closed)

• Anakin Leo Richin: 19 (40%)
  • Anakin Noah Richin: 5 (11%)
  • Anakin Arlo Richin: 6 (13%)
  • Anakin Oliver Richin: 15 (32%)
  • Anakin Diego Richin: 2 (4%)

As in Skywalker?

Please don’t use the name Anakin! The poor child will constantly be teased about [name]Star[/name] Wars and kids will make sentences starting with “[name]Ana[/name] can…”

I don’t understand this name. I have never seen the [name]Star[/name] Wars movies but instantly recognized the name from the series. Like others have said I would steer away from this name in general, especially since it really does clash with your surname.

Perhaps I’m in the minority, but I like the name Anakin :slight_smile:

If the bad guy theme is what you want, how about Anakin Voldemort?

Anakin Wedge
Anakin Tie Fighter [name]Pilot[/name]
Anakin Greedo
Anakin Porkins
Anakin Calrissian
Anakin Jar Jar

:geek:

This has got to be top 10 worst names ever. [name]How[/name] big of a dork are you that you’re naming your kid Anakin? I definitely vote for Jar Jar as the middle name.

Wow, you guys are jerks. [name]Lay[/name] off. Some people like names because of their sound, not their origin.

I agree with Danimari!! Stop being so judgemental, to each their own. I thought that the namberry berries were a bit more mature than this.

The nature of the complaining isn’t because of a matter of taste. There is something wrong with naming your child after one of the most evil characters in cinema. There’s a reason why no one uses the name [name]Adolf[/name] anymore. I don’t think it’s judgmental to point this out to the OP. I’d want someone to warn me away from using a name this bad. There are other [name]Star[/name] Wars names that could be usable, however, this is the name of a truly evil character who slaughtered children. The child will face much worse in RL than what has been posted on this board.

I voted for Anakin [name]Oliver[/name], with Anakin [name]Leo[/name] coming in as a close second. Something about the rhythm with [name]Oliver[/name], as well as the repeated starting vowels flows really well to me.

As a comment on Anakin as a first name, while not a big [name]Star[/name] Wars fan myself, I definitely recognized it. However, I associate it more with the cute little kid in Episode 1, than the baddie Darth Vader that he became. I’ve always thought it was a nice sounding name. Good luck!

I don’t think Anakin is all that terrible as a name. Sure, for people who grew up with [name]Star[/name] Wars it’s not a great association. But I grew up in the 90s with parents who weren’t into sci-fi/fantasy stuff and to this day have only seen bits and pieces of [name]Star[/name] Wars. I know the name comes from there, but beyond that, it’s just a simple association. Not bad or good. You could do a lot worse than Anakin. If someone associates with/was affected by the character, they should have the right to name their child after it. I think the comparison of [name]Adolf[/name] (as in Hitler) and Anakin is unreasonable. Hitler was a real person who wreaked havoc and murdered real people. Anakin Skywalker is a character, maybe not the greatest, but he didn’t hurt anyone in our universe.

If Anakin has issues with his name he can go by a nicknames, perhaps [name]Anders[/name], Ans or Kin. He could go by his middle name (my pick from the list would be Anakin [name]Leo[/name], but all of them work, except maybe [name]Diego[/name], b/c that’s also associated with a character, so it’s a lot of associations in one name).

Another option would be putting Anakin in the middle: [name]Leo[/name] Anakin, [name]Oliver[/name] Anakin, [name]Arlo[/name] Anakin. All are lovely. Or, if we’re going there, then why not Skywalker in the middle? I’ve seen way weirder. [name]Leo[/name] Skywalker is actually pretty cool.

I’m just saying, different strokes for different folks. Some people associate more with “the dark side” and there are way worse names (imo) you can straddle a kid with. I’m surprised by some of the tactless comments here. Nameberry is usually much more sensitive when it comes to more controversial names, and I would hope it stays that way.

I don’t think people’s issue with this name is that it’s most commonly associated with one person. It’s that it IS only one person. The name Anakin was made up by [name]George[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] for the character of Anakin Skywalker. It’s not like [name]Elvis[/name] - a name that has been made famous by one person but was previously used by others. There were no other Anakins before this character.

That said - I think it would be fine as a middle name as a tribute to the parents’ love of the movies. But I think everyone is right (both those who said it kindly and those who were just downright rude) who believes this child will be picked on for having that name.

Thank you for all your replies and votes. I live in a non-English speaking country and [name]Star[/name] Wars is not all that well knows as it may be in e.g. the US. Also, I came across that name reading a news article about a guy that was called Anakin. I didn’t at first realise the name came from a movie character, but simply loved the name as such, and still do. The name was actually derived from the bible “Anak” which refers to giant people. So, the name was there before [name]Star[/name] Wars. It’s just that [name]Star[/name] Wars made the name popular.
This post is about choosing a middle name for Anakin, and not about discussing whether Anakin is a suitable name, just in case. My oldest two children love the name Anakin too. And as my husband said, it will be them, and his peers, who’ll get to use his name often, and they definitively will be way past the [name]Star[/name] Wars generation.
I totally agree with freckles comment that the name got famous as a movie character who never existed in real life. I’m sure there were many other bad movie characters whose names are still in use without misjudgement.
I recently read a post in a different forum in my country with someone asking if the name “[name]Arian[/name]” for a boy would be suitable. Her husband is [name]German[/name]. In my language [name]Arian[/name] is not associated with what it means in English. Different languages, different meanings, go figure. And who knows, we may pick a different name, and then a movie is released in ten years time with a real bad character called the name we picked. What were we to do then?! Luckily, movies are just what they are, movies!

I like Anakin [name]Leo[/name] the best! I think it flows the best and it sounds fabulous.

Being a bit of a [name]Star[/name] Wars nerd, I have to point out that Han Solo (a good guy) had a kid in the expanded universe called Anakin (a deliberate namesake of the other Anakin), and he turned out just fine. So it is not the name alone that makes someone turn to the dark side.

I wouldn’t recommend though for anyone who’s not a [name]Star[/name] Wars fan.

Also, I lolled at Anakin Jar Jar Richin.

It’s not my style but I can hardly say anything bad I want to name my daughter [name]Pandora[/name], and she unleashed horrid things on the world but that isn’t putting me off.

If you lived in the US or UK you would almost certainly get comments from adults, but children won’t realise the connections. [name]Star[/name] wars is pretty old school now.

Anyway, I voted for Anakin [name]Leo[/name], it flows really well!

The only thing I would worry about is teasing since [name]Star[/name] Wars was super popular. But if you live in another country that might not be an issue, but if the kid does travel… you might run into people who think you were [name]Star[/name] Wars junkies…

Yeah, but [name]Pandora[/name] is commonly associated with the Jewelry store now so she might teased, “[name]Pandora[/name] can I buy a bracelet from you” [name]Just[/name] thought you might want to keep that in mind…