Middle Name for and Opinions on Daylily

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone. I have recently discovered the name [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] and really love it… but I am unsure if it is usable as a first name. I think [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] sounds like a sweet girl, magical, whimsical, strong, free-spirited, unique and intelligent. Someone imaginative, yet intellectually curious. Precocious and doesn’t care what anyone thinks of her.

I love names that sound just as natural living in a small town yellow cottage by the sea as they would in a preppy boarding school. Any suggestions for other names that fit that vibe and the character traits I listed?

However, I am wondering if [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] would be seen as silly/sounds like a fictional fairy name…? Would you be shocked to have a [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] in your kids class or applying to a position at your company?

Before [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] I was considering either the combos [name_m]River[/name_m] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_m]River[/name_m]. Thoughts?

Any suggestions for a middle name for [name_f]Daylily[/name_f], that would maintain the whimsical feeling, while also lending the name a more serious, perhaps preppy or old-fashioned, tone?

I don’t think [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] is extremely unusual. To me it’s just a pretty [name_f]Lily[/name_f] variant.

[name_u]River[/name_u] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is a beautiful option as well!

[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Tess[/name_f]

[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] would certainly be unexpected, but the familiarity of [name_f]Lily[/name_f] (and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] too) make it feel a bit more grounded and usable. It flows easily and I’ve encountered people / kids with bold names like this so why not :person_shrugging: It’s a pleasant sounding name.

[name_u]River[/name_u] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is pretty sweet too - whimsical but stylish. [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u] is nice, but doesn’t have the same sparkle.

Some middles for [name_f]Daylily[/name_f]:

[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Maia[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Olwen[/name_f]

Some other names which (might) have similar vibes that [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] gives you:

[name_f]Oona[/name_f]
[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]
[name_u]Halcyon[/name_u]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilium[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_u]Pepper[/name_u]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_u]Lotus[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Celandine[/name_f]
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f]
[name_u]Flannery[/name_u]
[name_f]Liliosa[/name_f]

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the sound of [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u], [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], and [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is very very sweet.

Wondering your thoughts on [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] vs [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u]?

Thanks!! I agree, much more prefer River Lily over Lily River. Sadly don’t like Daylily as a middle rn.

I love the sound of Daylily Florence or Daylily Pippa.

Some middles I’ve thought of piggybacking off the replies I’d love to get feedback on:
Daylily Pip
Daylily Peregrine
Daylily Grey
Daylily Gray
Daylily Kit
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_m]Bard[/name_m]

I am thinking that perhaps due to the 3 syllables of Daylily, I should do a 1 syllable mn or a very long mn.

From your other list, I love Celandine. I’m always on the hunt for botanical names and I’ve never come across this one before. Gorgeous!

Delphine is a pretty good summary of what I would want in a name. I knew a Delphine when I was younger and I always thought it was so pretty, feminine, whimsical yet mature. However, not sure I can use that name as I have strongish associations with the Delphine I knew. Also have reservations about using a name with strong French origins as I have no French background. Something to think about.

1 Like

[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] to me feels a bit like a novelty name with it being a smoosh of a two part nature name, the sort that I would come across for a fairy in a kids book, before I even read that far down in your post. I’m definitely getting the magical, whimsical, free-spirited vibe, much more than I am the precocious, intellectually curious boarding school vibe (curious certainly, curious in a bookish classroom way a bit less so). Not to say that a [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] couldn’t be those things of course, as nominative determinism only goes so far.

I’m seeing the same sort of issue with [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u] and especially [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. They’re each two noun names that can be used to describe each other. Like are river lilies a type of hydroponic plant, or are they lilies that grow along the river bed?

I’d be absolutely over the moon to meet a little [name_f]Daylily[/name_f], I think it’s so so pretty without being too fantastical or saccharine. It feels wistful and gentle to me. Also, we must have very similar tastes because these middle options are swoon worthy! I’m an especial fan of [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_u]Blythe[/name_u], just dreamy. Also love [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]! [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] blend of whimsy, adventure and pluck.

[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] is a bit too much for me. I do like just [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Lily[/name_f] fits the vibe you described better than [name_f]Daylily[/name_f]. [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] / [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u] sounds nice, but a bit wordy. Maybe you like the combo [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f] or [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f].

1 Like

@seaflora

I’m liking your ideas!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites:

[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_m]Blythe[/name_m] is lovely - light and bright but with a pleasing sharpness

[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] is distinctive, grand and unexpected

[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_m]Kit[/name_m] - I like the slightly unisex feel of this, and the balance of the sound.

Going off your list, and the vibes of it, I’d further suggest:

[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_m]Reese[/name_m]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_m]Juno[/name_m]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_m]Tate[/name_m]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_m]Blair[/name_m]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_m]Seren[/name_m]
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_m]Rue[/name_m]

I can understand those reservations about [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - as you say, one to think on. [name_f]Delphinium[/name_f] and [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] are similar too :slight_smile:

For me, [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Grey/Gray turns the otherwise cheerful and vibrant warm imagery from a lily into something bleak, cold and dreary (when paired together.)

I think [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] [name_m]Blythe[/name_m] sounds very pretty together and keeps most in step with the first name!

I adore [name_f]Daylily[/name_f] (personally love the nickname [name_f]Daly[/name_f] for her)

Here’s some idea for middles - I mostly focused on balancing out her length/syllables/vibe here, but there’s a few wildcards too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Maeve
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Hester
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Sloane
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Ingrid
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Giselle
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Shea
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Lourdes
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Maude
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Orlaith
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Daffodil
[name_f]Daylily[/name_f] Fabienne