Middle name for Eleanor, honoring?

We’ve finally decided on [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] if #2 is a girl. Now to the next problem, middle name. I’ve always wanted my childrens middle names to honor a family member, but it isn’t as important to my husband.
Our son’s middle name ([name_m]Amos[/name_m]) is honoring, and so is [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], the name we plan on using if #2 is a boy. But both were chosen because we simply love the names, and not the honoring purpose.

We have quite a few to chose from for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]'s middle name, but I’m not loving any of them. Our favorites are [name_f]Clarice[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] (my own middle name), [name_f]Minervia[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (my niece’s name though, which bugs me) and possibly [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]/[name_f]Teresa[/name_f].

What would you do? Abandon the idea of family names which is important to me and chose a middle name we just like, or go with a name that’s ‘okay’ ? And if so, which of the middle names would you choose for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]? Someone suggested we could use both a family name and a name we just like, but I’m not keen on the idea of my kids having different amount of middle names, either. I’m really feeling picky…

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] has a nice flow and honors both [name_f]Clarice[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] sounds nice, but if it’s your niece’s name then maybe it’s not the best option.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] also has a nice flow.

If you don’t love these names, though, then I’d choose a middle name that you do! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] are wonderful, but if you don’t love them enough, I think you shouldn’t use them. At the end, she is your daughter and it is not mandatory to give her a family middle name. Another think you can try, is find similar names to those you want to honor. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Tess[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Theresa[/name_f], or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_u]Clare[/name_u] instead of [name_f]Clarice[/name_f]/[name_f]Clara[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]- would this be enough to honour [name_f]Clarice[/name_f] or [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. I think that if you aren’t in love with any of the names you have for honouring, then try to bend them slightly, so that the honour is there, but in the form of the name that you love.
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] sounds nice, as [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is long, and the single syllable thing works well, and I like @undertherainbow’s [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Tess[/name_f].
Good luck!

I think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is wonderful, and I like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Clarice[/name_f] second best, but really, I think they all sound good with [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I like honor names for middle names.

I think honoring is a really nice idea, but not if you don’t [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] what you have to work with.

[name_f]Gracey[/name_f],Claresa,(clare+[name_f]Teresa[/name_f]),[name_f]Janene[/name_f],[name_f]Josephine[/name_f],

Personally, I think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is one of the most beautiful, charming, timeless names in the whole world. I’d be absolutely over-the-moon to be able to use it! I suppose that’s just me, though? All your options are nice, but [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is the only one that sings and sparkles for me.

Out of curiosity, is there a name out there that DOES sing with [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], for you? I mean, both my FN and MN are both technically honor names since they both are names of semi-near family members. That being said, neither [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] nor my mn were chosen TO honor family, in my own mother’s words. They chose them because they liked them. Which sort of seems what has happened with [name_m]Amos[/name_m] and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] for you? So while my brother and sisters have names that were purposely chosen to honor family members, I don’t really feel like I got a family name, so maybe it’d work out just to pick a name you love for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. Particularly if you don’t end up having a boy this time–I don’t think you have any real pattern established with family names or not.

I also think you could get away with using variants of family names, like [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] for [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] for [name_f]Theresa[/name_f], etc. I think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] would be nice!

I love the name [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]:)! [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] both flow nicely. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is pretty however since its your niece’s name what about [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Gracelyn[/name_f] or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Graciela[/name_f]? You could also used another name meaning grace such as [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Ana[/name_f]/[name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Karissa[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u]? You could use [name_f]Tess[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Teresa[/name_f]. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped!

I think it’s better to go with a name you actually like. I think [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] is a good compromise though on the middle name.

Thanks for the idea, I’ll look into it! We should be able to work something out…

^^ We’re actually doing just this with our new baby, who will also be named [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I didn’t want to use my mother’s name as a middle, it’s a nice enough name, but it does nothing for me. Instead we’re using my mother’s favorite flower: [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. :slight_smile: