Middle name for Gwen?

We’re working through girl names, and it appears to be coming down to whether we can find a nice middle to go with them. What do you think of [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Antonia[/name]? Other middles for [name]Gwen[/name]? I think because [name]Gwen[/name] is so short, it would need to be at least 2-3 syllables and end with a vowel.

Our other choices are [name]Edith[/name] [name]Sidney[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] (nn [name]Molly[/name] or [name]May[/name]?) [name]Irene[/name], and we’re good-naturedly “discussing” [name]Elizabeth[/name] vs. [name]Isobel[/name] (vs. [name]Elspeth[/name]?) and [name]Catherine[/name] vs. [name]Kathryn[/name].

BQ: We like [name]Nina[/name], but not as a full name. [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Nina[/name] could be a nickname for [name]Antonia[/name]? What else would work?

Thanks!

[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Calla[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Coraline[/name]/[name]Caraline[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Tamara[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Leila[/name]

[name]Edith[/name] still sounds very granny-ish to me unfortunately, I haven’t warmed up to it yet.

[name]Sidney[/name] sounds male to me -but I guess that’s because of [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Crosby[/name] the hockey player.

I like [name]Mary[/name] it’s classic and underused.

[name]Molly[/name], although super cute and lovely, is a very popular dog’s name (one of the top 3 dog names in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name] for female dogs -along with [name]Maggie[/name] and Lady), so I would avoid that for a while. Hopefully in a few years, people will start calling their dogs “spot” and “fido” again.

[name]Irene[/name] -I really like the meaning, but it’s a middle-aged woman’s name to me (I guess partly because it’s my [name]MIL[/name]'s name :slight_smile: ) [name]Irena[/name] (Polish version), [name]Irina[/name] (Russian version) or [name]Iryna[/name] (Ukranian version) seem fresher and prettier to me.

[name]Kathryn[/name] > [name]Catherine[/name] -that spelling is less popular (and therefore more usable imo) and I think it’s pretty with its K and Y. :slight_smile:
[name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Isabel[/name] are so classic and timeless that a little girl named [name]Isobel[/name] or [name]Elspeth[/name] would have to correct people’s pronunciation & spelling her entire life. That said, I really like [name]Elspeth[/name] and hopefully, since it sounds/looks different enough from [name]Elizabeth[/name], people would pay more attention and pronounce it/spell it right.

I love [name]Gwen[/name] (as a whole name and as a nickname for [name]Guinevere[/name]) but I don’t like [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Antonia[/name]. I would [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Irene[/name].

Others:

[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Arianna[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Arabelle[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] Rosabel
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Viviana[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Arianna[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Ariella[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Lucia[/name]/[name]Luciana[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]

As for your other questions… I like [name]Mary[/name] [name]Irene[/name] of your other choices with the nn [name]Molly[/name] (love that old time nickname for [name]Mary[/name]). I like [name]Isobel[/name] more than [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Catherine[/name] more than [name]Kathryn[/name].
I think [name]Nina[/name] could work as a nickname for [name]Antonia[/name], but it’s a little bit of a stretch. [name]How[/name] about:

[name]Antonina[/name]
Arnina
Chanina
Cunina – the protector of infants in [name]Roman[/name]/Latin mythology
Jonina
Lenina
Eponine
[name]Jeanine[/name]
[name]Ninita[/name]
[name]Zenina[/name]

I also know a boy named [name]Ninian[/name], that could work on a girl :slight_smile: