Middle name for Henry

I’m pretty sure we have decided on a name if baby is a boy … [name_m]Henry[/name_m], nn [name_m]Hank[/name_m]. I would prefer to just use [name_m]Hank[/name_m], but DH is pretty adamant that we use the formal [name_m]Henry[/name_m], so I guess I’ll go with it :slight_smile: But, now we’re struggling to agree on a MN. I’d like it to be meaningful and flow well with our last name - [name_m]Patterson[/name_m]. Thanks for any thoughts! Here are our options:
[ol][/ol]

Other options that don’t have family meaning:
[ol][/ol]

Thanks for your continued help!!

In order of preference:

1. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Gerald[/name_m]
  2. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m]
  3. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
  4. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
  5. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]

When it comes to the family names, I would choose the name that means the most to you. [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] and [name_m]Paul[/name_m] are about equal for me, as they both directly honor a grandfather.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] is my favorite, and I actually like it the best for honoring purposes too. Since you’re using [name_m]Henry[/name_m], your dad’s name, I think it would be nice to honor your husband’s side too. After [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m], which would make the name honor patriarchal names in both your families, I would choose [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] after your husband. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite of the non-honor names is [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m].

I love [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. I have [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Birch[/name_m] on my list, both names honor my dad. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are; [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m].

I agree, I’m just stubborn :wink:

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] gets my vote too! It’s timeless, [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]Paul[/name_m] are two of my favorite names ever and I agree with fanciful on honouring your husband’s side too !

I agree with this entirely. I also like [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] would be nice. Random thought.

Some things I see -

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] is an actor (kid from ET) so that is the first thing I thought of. It does sound nice though!

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] - Initials would be HOP. But still cute!

Not sure if either of those matter to you - just thought I would point it out.

Those happen to be the 2 I like best…

I did think of both of those things, lol! I mentioned them to my hubby, and he didn’t care, so I thought “oh well, I’ll keep them on the list” :slight_smile:

If we go with [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m], does having initials HPP matter? I wasn’t too crazy about the two Ps together, but it’s not enough to make me discard the name. I do think I like the 1 or 2 syllable middle names better than the 3 syllable ones just because our last name is 3 syllables as well.

I think I like [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], it’s just unusual enough and sounds perfect.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] are my favorites, however I would go with a family name if it’s important to you. I regret not having done so myself.

If [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] does not feel like a stretch to you, that’s my vote. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] also sounds good, although i feel like honoring an older relative is more special than passing down your husband’s middle name.

Between [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Gerald[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m], and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Roger[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] is my favorite (with your last name).

Good luck!