Middle name for Violet

So we are 97% (ha) sure that this baby will be named [name_f]Violet[/name_f]… we’ll see if change our minds! :slight_smile: We still can’t decide on a middle name. Initially we were thinking to go with a virtue name and were liking [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Mercy[/name_f], but lately I haven’t been loving [name_f]Mercy[/name_f]. It’s really important to me that the middle name be something meaningful, not just another pretty name. Our options right now are:

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] - [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is the middle name of DH’s grandma who was/is a huge part of his life. We would love to honor their family in any way. I just feel like [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is so overused as a mn and has become kind of “filler.” It would be meaningful to us, I just don’t know if it sounds very special.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] - I think this is my current favorite, but I’m all over the place. :slight_smile: DH’s grandpa’s mn is [name_m]Delane[/name_m]. This is the same family as the grandma mentioned above, so it would be a special way to honor them for the role they have played in DH’s life. I like that [name_u]Lane[/name_u] is a little more unique than [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u] - [name_u]Rae[/name_u] is my mn and DH loves the idea of using it for our daughter. It’s also my grandma’s mn. I like it, but I feel a little weird naming her after me… I just can’t quite get over that.

Any feedback? Our last name is [name_m]Smith[/name_m].

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is absolute perfection.

I love [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]!

My daughters name is [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], so I think that [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is absolutely gorgeous. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] is also very pretty.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is sweet and it’s not filler if it’s meaningful to you (plus I love the name [name_f]Jane[/name_f]!). [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] is in second place-- I like both of these better than [name_u]Rae[/name_u].

My sister is [top 10 name when she was born] + [name_f]Jane[/name_f] + your last name. Last week she had to contact Skype to close down an account someone else had set up using her email address. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] may not be that popular yet, but it’s getting there, and so even though I love [name_f]Jane[/name_f] I personally would want something more distinctive in the middle slot, so I’d go for [name_u]Lane[/name_u]. ‘[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u]’ makes me think of the electromagnetic spectrum. I suppose you could make a similar objection to ‘[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Lane[/name_u]’, but I think the surname-ness of [name_u]Lane[/name_u] cancels out the image of a winding country path. Which isn’t by any means an unpleasant image anyway.

Alternatively you could honour a [name_f]Jane[/name_f] with another feminine version of [name_m]John[/name_m]: [name_u]Joan[/name_u], [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]?

I think the sound of [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] slightly more than [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] but both are very pretty.

I like [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]! My second fav is [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u] because she will have three people she is named after that are strong heroins. You your mom, and a character from the new [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars movie who is totally awesome and someone I would want to be named after.

I always caution against using [name_u]Lane[/name_u] as a middle name! Because it makes it look like a street name!! [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] just looks like the name of a pathway, to me. A very, very pretty and sweet pathway I’d love to walk down… but I just don’t think it’s a good name for a person.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is just beautiful. I love the sound, the look and feel. Only, if you are worried at all that it seems plain, I want to point out that [name_m]Smith[/name_m] is also plain, so even though nothing can alter the beauty of [name_f]Violet[/name_f], the overall name seems to drop off at the overly sensible [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m].

[name_u]Rae[/name_u] is one of my favourite names, because the angelic [name_f]Raphaela[/name_f] is high on my list and [name_u]Rae[/name_u] is a shortform. I really love [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]. It also reminds me of ultraviolet rays, which is a cool and positive image!

My favourite is also [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Mercy[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] are a bit too wordy for me