Middle Name Help Desperately Needed!

I need advice! My husband and I are expecting our first baby in a matter of weeks. We finally decided on the first name [name_f]Esther[/name_f]. I’ve always thought if we picked [name_f]Esther[/name_f] that her middle name would be [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. Our maternal grandmothers each have [name_f]Jane[/name_f] as part of their names. I’m very close to my grandma and would love to have my daughter’s name honor her in some way.

BUT we’ve recently fallen in love with the middle name [name_f]Snow[/name_f]. I’ve actually been a huge fan for many years, but never thought I’d get a chance to use it. The way Nameberry describes the name [name_f]Snow[/name_f] is exactly how I feel when I hear it–fresh, evocative, magical. We have an unbearably common last name, so I especially love its uniqueness. If we had to choose based on which name we prefer, we’d pick [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] over [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. But then I’d lose the significance of naming her after my grandmother, and I’m worried I’d regret that.

So do we pick the name we like best or the name with personal significance? Any advice on how to decide?

I’d pick the name you love -[name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] is delightful!!

That’s a tough one. Could [name_f]Snow[/name_f] be an indirect honour name if you strongly associate your grandmothers with [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]?
It also may be worth considering that you may have another daughter in the future, and so could potentially use both names.
All the best with your decision.

It does sound like you prefer [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f], so I’d go with that one.

I love [name_f]Esther[/name_f]! I would go with the one you love the most which I think is [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f]. Have you considered using three names as I think [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] could work?

Go with the one you love. [name_f]Honor[/name_f] your gran by raising [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] to be an amazing woman like her.

Both are really great combos. There’s no right or wrong here. I do like pp’s idea of honouring your grandmother by raising an amazing woman like her if you choose [name_f]Snow[/name_f].

My first thought was use both. [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f].
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] is a very beautiful name. You are not obliged to use an honour name. I know honours are my preference, but you’ve got to do what feels right for you.

I actually like the sound of [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] better, so the honor name would be my choice.
And even if I liked [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] better, I think I would still go with the honor name since it’s a middle. Middle names just aren’t used that much so, for me, having one with significance trumps a random one I like slightly more.

I second this!

(Also if your username is your name, we have the same one! [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t usually see a lot of it :))

Thanks you for all the input! I’m just so torn. I think it’s because this will probably be my only child that my grandma will get to meet. That said, she was born in [name_u]January[/name_u], and it definitely snows in [name_u]January[/name_u]. Interesting spin I never thought about!

[name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] is beautiful.

You say you’re worried you’d regret not using [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and honouring your grandmother. Would you regret it if you didn’t use [name_f]Snow[/name_f]?

I have my grandmother’s name as a mn and I love that it gives me this special bond with her. I grew up with her as a second mother. I lived with her and in many ways she is just as influential in my life as my own mother is. If you expect your daughter and your grandmother to have a close relationship then I would suggest you use [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

However if you don’t expect your daughter to really know her that well, then use [name_f]Snow[/name_f]. What you love will mean more to your daughter. It will make her feel special and loved and when it snows your daughter will think of you.

Your grandmother meeting the baby is already a precious gift that I’m sure that she will treasure.

Normally, I would always suggest using a name you love over an honor name. Both middles are beautiful but I personally think [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] is clunky (too many s sounds?). I also an mot a fan of two middles but in this case, I think [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] is perfection.

I love both [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Snow[/name_f], but with the first name [name_f]Esther[/name_f] I prefer [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. I feel like [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] is too ‘s’ heavy. [name_f]Imagine[/name_f] if she has a lisp!!

I think you should save [name_f]Snow[/name_f] for another baby (if you’re planning on having another), and maybe pair it with a first name that doesn’t have an ‘s’ in it.

[name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is beautiful :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I also like @dawnk’s suggestion of going with [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f]. But I only think this will work if your surname is more than one syllable long. For example, [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] [name_m]McDermott[/name_m] sounds amazing! But [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] is too clunky.

You can’t go wrong because they’re both lovely. I just love the feel of [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] - it’s so romantic. I’d pick that, but [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is pretty too!