Middle Name Help

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone,

I read these forums and comment rarely, but I’m in desperate need of advice. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is incredibly picky about names, and we are currently trying to name our son due in [name_u]August[/name_u].

The first name has been pretty easy, considering how picky my husband is, and the name we have chosen is [name_m]Ferris[/name_m].

I get that it’s a really unique first name, so I’d like to balance it with a more common middle name. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s middle name is [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], and that’s what I’d like to use. He hates the idea. He has seemed interested in using [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], but I don’t know how I feel about that name. We have tossed around [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_u]James[/name_u] as middle names, but I’m at a loss. He’s so darn picky!

Any advice?

I think your idea is a good one. [name_m]Ferris[/name_m] is a unique name, and since your choosy husband likes it, perhaps that’s how his taste leans? If, for example, he was a [name_m]Matt[/name_m] or a [name_m]Mike[/name_m] growing up and hated being lost in the crowd, perhaps he favors more unusual names for his own son.

Does he have any other suggestions? FWIW I think [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is nice-- it’s not nearly as rare nowadays as when we were all kids, but it’s not ubiquitous like [name_m]William[/name_m] or [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].

You might be stuck looking for that sweet spot to balance [name_m]Ferris[/name_m]: something classic but not common. Ideally, you’d choose a three-syllable name to balance two-syllable [name_m]Ferris[/name_m] (and something with some vowel sounds, too).

[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Adrian[/name_m]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]

Anything like that work for you?

Yes, I had a somewhat unique name growing up, and I liked that. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is one of those guys who knew several other guys with the same name, so you’re right. I like your suggestion of [name_m]Julian[/name_m] which was one of my suggested names as a first name. [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] is something I like, too. I agree completely that three syllables is necessary to balance out [name_m]Ferris[/name_m]. Thanks for your help. This helps a lot!

And for the record: I don’t hate [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. I just keep thinking of [name_m]Alvin[/name_m] and the Chipmunks… :wink:

Thanks for your help!