Middle name ideas for Anna

We are leaning toward [name_f]Anna[/name_f] for our baby girl’s name. I wanted [name_f]Hope[/name_f] as the mn because it’s perfect considering what we’ve been through to get to this point (we lost a baby to a very rare kind of ectopic, I had emergency surgery, then there were complications and we traveled 3,000 miles so I could have another surgery, then we finally conceived the baby girl we always dreamed of). DH wants [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] to honor his late gma (his mom’s mom) whom he never knew.

Background: We used my dad’s name as DS’s mn and DH feels that now we should honor someone from his family, particularly his mom. I am not a fan of [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]! I can appreciate the sentiment behind it, but DH is really picking [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] to honor his mom, and my niece’s mn is my [name_f]MIL[/name_f]'s first name so I feel like she is “covered” already in the family. My dad had no sons (and I took DH’s last name so my last name is gone) and my sisters didn’t name their boys anything to do with the family, so to me using my dad’s name was important and significant.

I know that middles aren’t that big a deal b/c pretty much no one uses them, but at the same time it’s a way to use a name that has meaning but wouldn’t be used as a first name. I feel very strongly about [name_f]Hope[/name_f] and about as strongly about not using [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]!! I could easily give in but I am typically the one to give in our relationship and on principle, I don’t want to do it.

So now, if you’ve read through all of that ;), I’m exploring another option and I need help: interesting middle suggestions that mean nothing to us! One thing to keep in mind is that our last name is 4 syllables.

Thank you!!

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]

If you don’t like [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], how about [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]? [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] sounds nice, but I do like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] too. Regardless of whether you like it or not, it wouldn’t be fair on your DH to have a child named after your dad, and then have nothing named after his side of the family, especially how he wants to honour someone as well. Naming a child after his mom could be as important and significant to him, as was naming a child after your dad.

Yes, but I forgot to mention that DS’s first name is from DH’s side of the family. And he and all of his siblings have first and middles that are family names from DH’s father’s side of the family. So I get how he thinks his mom’s family is left out, but it’s not as if his family is under-represented compared to my ONE family connection.

[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] is ok… I think it’s on the same level as [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. Neither sound bad with [name_f]Anna[/name_f], but I just don’t like the names.

I reaallly don’t like [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. I agree with the thought that his mom has already been covered in someone’s name… is there anyone besides his mom you could honor? OR find some names similar to [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], like…
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] (not much better)
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Dolores[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Desdemona[/name_f]
[name_u]Dominique[/name_u]
[name_f]Dominica[/name_f]
[name_u]Dakota[/name_u] (I like this one)

I do see your DH’s arguments for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], and I also see them for [name_f]Hope[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]. I think it’s a nice mix of “happy” names if that makes sense. Usually I am not a fan of two middle names but I think it works really well in this case!

In a less traditional sense, [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] means “gift of God.” Other names with the same meaning include [name_f]Giovana[/name_f], [name_u]Jan[/name_u], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] (love [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]), [name_f]Janet[/name_f], [name_f]Janice[/name_f], [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] (maybe her full name could be [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]?), [name_f]Micaela[/name_f], [name_f]Michelle[/name_f], [name_u]Mischa[/name_u], [name_f]Shauna[/name_f] (if your pronunciation of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is ‘auna’ then [name_f]Shauna[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]?), [name_f]Teodora[/name_f].

I have always loved [name_f]Jane[/name_f] as a middle name! And [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] sounds great!

My sister’s name is [name_f]Michelle[/name_f], so although I love that name (and I love my sister!), I don’t think we could pick that one. My husband’s name is actually [name_u]Jan[/name_u] and our last name starts with [name_m]Johann[/name_m]-, so unfortunately that eliminates [name_u]Jan[/name_u] and [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] - although I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]! (But maybe I could say that [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is a nod to him and that will sway his vote!)

I hadn’t thought about [name_f]Michaela[/name_f]… I don’t like the look of it, although I usually go for traditional spellings. The “[name_u]Michael[/name_u]” is just so obvious! But I do love the sound of it and the meaning, and for a middle name I could deal with the spelling. Another option is the Scandinavian spelling, [name_f]Mikaela[/name_f]. It probably looks misspelled to some, but I could justify it b/c DH’s side is so heavily Norwegian. I think [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Mikaela[/name_f] sounds really pretty!

I really like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Mikaela[/name_f] if that helps! Though if you are open to the loose interpretation, [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] still holds my heart :slight_smile: Good luck!

I agree with the suggestion to give her both names. She’s your little miracle, and why not bestow both a special meaning name and an honour name?

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] sounds very elegant.

Oh, I adore the sound of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]!
Honestly, you should use both if you both feel that strongly.
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] is lovely.
[name_f]Nadia[/name_f] means hope, but that doesn’t really flow.
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Nadine[/name_f]?

Playing on the [name_f]Hope[/name_f]/Happiness/blessing/Loved theme, what about:

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Amandine[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Carys[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Esme[/name_f]

I don’t have any suggestions, other than to say I relate to your dilemma. I want to honor my grandma by using her name as my daughter’s middle name, but I really don’t like the sound of it. It flows well enough, and I know that in the middle it’ll rarely be heard anyway, but it’s hard to let go of choosing a perfectly coordinated, beautiful name pair (even if it lacks the same meaning as the family name!).

that sounds so frustrating! maybe you could come to some kind of compromise - using a name that begins with the letter D, but not the name [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. anyway, here’s my list!

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Milena[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Nadine[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_u]Felice[/name_u]

^those kind of all go with the hope theme

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Destiny[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Desiree[/name_f]

^ & those are some D suggestions that might be a bit fresher than [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. [name_f]Destiny[/name_f] & [name_f]Desiree[/name_f] in particular have the added bonus of meanings closer to the name [name_f]Hope[/name_f], if you like those names.

My only suggestion hinges on how attached you are to the name [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. Maybe you discussed elsewhere your attachment to it? But if you’re even possibly open to considering other names, have you thought about [name_f]Thea[/name_f]? It is of course the last half of the name [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]; it’s been the number one name in Norway itself for years; it’s light, airy and beautiful, and I think it would pair nicely with big brother [name_m]Harris[/name_m] and with a four syllable surname. So, would [name_f]Thea[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] work?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] does sound nice… but I just don’t think I could do two middles with such a long last name!

[name_f]Milena[/name_f] is a name I had really liked but don’t think DH would go for. It’s a nice middle name option though!

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] is also nice. We do know a [name_f]Nadine[/name_f], but I don’t think that would be a big deal. I think I prefer [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f], but it’s a good option if he really just can’t accept [name_f]Hope[/name_f]!

[name_f]Thea[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] is a good suggestion, too. I don’t think I like [name_f]Thea[/name_f] enough to use it, though… Too bad [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Thea[/name_f] doesn’t work!

The only other first name on our list is [name_u]Kari[/name_u], and [name_u]Kari[/name_u] [name_f]Thea[/name_f] could probably work… [name_u]Kari[/name_u] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] definitely doesn’t! But I don’t love it.

Ugh I thought naming a girl would be easy!!!

[name_m]How[/name_m] about…

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] ([name_f]Nadine[/name_f]'s meaning is “hope”)
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] ([name_f]Miriam[/name_f] is said to mean “wished for child”)
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_u]Hollis[/name_u]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]