Middle Name Marie Opinions

I want some Name Lovers Opinion on the Middle name [name_u]Marie[/name_u]. That is my mom, mine, and grandmother’s middle name. I have always hated it. [name_f]Every[/name_f] girl I knew I had [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_u]Nichole[/name_u], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], or [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] as a middle name. I hated how unoriginal it was. BUT now that I am thinking about naming a future daughter. I still want to honor my mom. I don’t like her first name. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_u]Marie[/name_u] is going to have the same popularity in our kids generation? I want a cool original name, but would you rather be named after your mom, grandma, and great-grandmother or having a unique middle name. I thought about [name_f]Mariella[/name_f] or Mairelle. But there is something short and better sounding about [name_u]Marie[/name_u]. Opinions? Is [name_u]Marie[/name_u] boring and unorginal? [name_f]My[/name_f] sons name is [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] and is a very popular name. I feel like I want my next child to have something a little more orginal.

I don’t think [name_u]Marie[/name_u] is going to go anywhere as far as popularity as a middle name. It has always been and probably will be for a long time one of the most popular middle names for girls.

If that puts you off, here are some alternatives!!

[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Marisol[/name_f]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_u]Marley[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
Mariel/Marielle
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] and Marelowe are on my first name list. If we go with one of those I probably won’t go with [name_u]Marie[/name_u].

1 Like

[name_f]Mairead[/name_f]!
Muh-Rade

1 Like

I think [name_u]Marie[/name_u] is going to be popular for a while yet, but paired with a spunky unique first name, I don’t think it will sound boring :slight_smile:

What is a good spunky name? Something that sounds fantastic with [name_f]Maire[/name_f].

Based on [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] and [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m], I’d suggest:

[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_u]Harlow[/name_u] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_u]Ember[/name_u] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Jada[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]

2 Likes

I feel the same way about “filler” middle names like [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Nicole[/name_f], [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], etc. What about [name_f]Marina[/name_f] or [name_f]Marisse[/name_f]?

[name_u]Marie[/name_u] is very popular as a middle, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good choice! If it honors a lineage that is important to you, there’s nothing wrong with using an expected name. However, if you hate the name and are nervous about its popularity, you may want to find a name that could honor your mother in another way! [name_f]Do[/name_f] any other forms of Marie/Mary appeal to you? How about names with the same meaning as your mom’s first or a variation on her name?

For what it’s worth, I think middle names are the perfect place to put honor names that you are less enthusiastic about, as first names make up the majority of her interactions with other people. It’s up to you whether you’d prefer a unique middle that you love or one you love less that has familial meaning!

1 Like

Thats kinda how I feel like I love my mom so much and I think it would mean a lot to her. And really people don’t say the middle name that often. And I can see my future daughter liking it being such a long tradition. Our son has my husband and his father’s middle name. I don’t want her to feel like “oh it was just a name I loved” or would she rather be like I have the coolest middle name :joy: So much over thinking

1 Like

Unfortunately, you can never predict how kids will feel about their names! My feelings about my name have changed over time, and everyone feels differently.

This is a tough one. I imagine [name_u]Marie[/name_u] will continue to be a go-to middle name. I would say, if you do use [name_u]Marie[/name_u], just don’t give her a super popular first name. Personally, my first name is extremely popular, and I don’t mind, but I am glad that my less popular middle name gives me more personal ownership of my name. But you really can’t predict how your daughter will feel. If you hate your middle name so much, I’d recommend using another form of [name_u]Marie[/name_u] for your daughter. Luckily, there are a zillion forms of [name_u]Marie[/name_u], from [name_f]Mary[/name_f] to [name_f]Mariel[/name_f] to [name_f]Polly[/name_f]!

What about [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]? Not a fan of [name_u]Marie[/name_u] either. It’s my cousin’s middle name and she’s younger than me, so I think it will continue to be popular.

I would absolutely rather be named after loved ones, even if the name is relatively common. And Marie is lovely. I understand the appeal of choosing something more unique, but particularly in the middle spot I love seeing a name with wonderful family tradition. If you use it, you could pick something more adventuresome in the first name spot, or the other way around.

Thank you! This is the exact kind of response I was looking for. I love names and the coolness of them, but I think tradition means more.

I love [name_u]Marie[/name_u] as a middle name. Yes, it is common, but it sounds so pretty with so many names. I think it’s nice to use if you plan on using a more uncommon name as a first name to balance it out.

If you’re concerned it’s too boring as a middle name, have you considered using it as a double-barrelled first name? That could be a nice way of making the name sound fresh.

Examples:
Willow-Marie
Etta-Marie
Briar-Marie
Dahlia-Marie
Claire-Marie

[name_f]My[/name_f] family did the same thing. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandmother named all of her daughters with the middle name [name_u]Marie[/name_u], and then my aunts and my mom did the same thing, actually until my last sister was born and my mom chose to honor our dad’s side instead. Growing up I always hated it because I felt like there was no effort put into it and I wish my parents would’ve gotten to use a name they actually loved instead of just going with what everyone else did. Plus now we actually have no relationship with that side of my family and have completely cut them off and my middle name is a constant reminder of that. Of course that’s an extreme example but that’s one reason why I’m not a huge fan of honor names in general. If you want to honor your mom then I’d say go with a variation of [name_u]Marie[/name_u] or, better yet, go with something from her first name. But don’t feel pressured to use an honor name just because your mom would like it. It’s your child and there’s nothing wrong with picking a name you love. They will have the name for the rest of their life, and your mom feeling happy about it won’t cancel out 40+ years of you having to use a name you don’t love.

[name_u]Marie[/name_u] was my mother’s name and I find it pretty. I find it a lovely middle name, if the person loves it.