Middle Name or Names?

Hey loves!

Would two middle names be too much? I would like to name my kids in a English First Name English Middle Name Igbo Middle Name format, so they can embrace their Nigerian heritage, of course they wouldn’t be walking around answering to the whole thing, but those would be their names. For example if my son was named [name]Jude[/name] [name]Aaron[/name] Obiuto, I might call him [name]Jude[/name] or sometimes [name]Obi[/name]. What do you think? All suggestions are appreciated!

I personally like more than one middle name, both because it’s unique and because I love way too many names to just use two per child! :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s too much, especially because you will be honouring their heritage. I quite like two middle names, i’m bad enough at coming up with First & Middle combos to attempt it myself though!

Oh good, thanks! Yeah, I have way too many favorite names to limit myself to just two per child, thanks so much all of you!

I have different opinions on double middle names based on this situation, but in your scenario I think it’s ok.

I agree, I usually don’t like 2 middles, unless there is a good reason, like you have.
Though is there a reason they need an English middle name? Why couldn’t you choose a Nigerian name to be there only middle?
Or do you just like the flow of having 2?

I say no reason you can’t have 2 middle names. We gave DD 2. She’s [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Emma[/name] [name]Midnight[/name] P.
We wanted [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Midnight[/name] but felt we needed a feminine qualifier in there too.
Also, a lawyer once advised us to give your kids as many names as you wanted as it makes identify theft much harder! :stuck_out_tongue: (so that was our excuse) lol

I do find the flow appealing, I also like it because it would kinda represent their dual cultures, and its just kind of something that my family has always done. For example I have an english name ([name]Jessica[/name] bleck) but I also have an igbo name (Onyinyechi). Plus i don’t know how many igbo names you know, but the ones i know aren’t the trendiest or most eloquent (if you have any you really like i’d love the suggestion!) they mostly only work after a second english name like in my example above.

I like this idea very much in your case!
I recognize Igbo/Nigerian names when I see them, but can’t really think of them. I wish more sites were more comprehensive in that regard : D.

[name]Don[/name]'t a fair number end in [name]Lola[/name] though? Maybe that could work as a nn.

Here is a great website (to my eyes): http://culture.chiamaka.com/igbonames.html

Here are some that sound relatively easily adaptable to English, to me, for girls (I have an easier time spotting them)

Amaka
Azuka
Chidera

And I’m sure there are more, just getting tired.

For boys, I saw Chiefo : D. [name]Kinda[/name] silly maybe but also awesome!

Good luck!

I definitely am pro two middle names. Everyone in my family has two. The second is always Tahitian to honor the courage of our Tahitian grandmother (or great-great grandmother in my case) for leaving everything she knew to get married in Europe.

I have a coworker whose name is Obinna and goes by [name]Obi[/name]. Very kick-ass and I think it means something like “fathers heart” since the Igbo language allows for really beautiful and meaningful names you can use it to really gives your child a strong connection to that heritage.

Good luck.

Thanks lexiem! Thats exactly the kind of name format I’m going for! And yes, obi means heart. I love what your group stands for and am proud to be a part of it! I did find a website for more igbo names (http://www.onlinenigeria.com/nigeriannames/Igbo.asp), i’ll post it on the group as well. Thanks for the feedback everyone, I am now secure in my decision.