Middle name thoughts

I keep seeing people on namberry say that middle names are “hardly ever used” and that has not been my experience so I would love to have a discussion about it!

Personally my parents use my middle name all the time, not just when I’m in trouble, my father says “I named you [name_f]Amber[/name_f] [name_f]Renee[/name_f] because I wanted to say it all the time” and so he does. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is pretty common knowledge for people who know me IRL and I use both names quite frequently.

What has your experience with you middle name been? Your experience with your kids middles? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any traditions in your family when it comes to middle names? I would love to know about double barrel middles as well and really any other comments you have on middles!

1 Like

All of my family knows my middle name and I sometimes got called by it as a kid. When I was in elementary school everyone one was interested in each other’s middle names too. But I think what most people mean when they say the middle is hardly ever used is in professional life. No one at my job knew or cared about my middle name. Lol I think it’s a way of saying anything can potentially work in the middle because in the professional world you won’t use it much unless you just want to.

I guess that depends on the job, whenever filling out paperwork for my jobs I’ve always put my middle name and while no one really cares like the information is still there. There was a coincidence where we had a brand at one of my jobs come out with a line that was one of my bosses first and middle name and we all knew and had a chuckle about it.

1 Like

I don’t have a middle name. When I was at school I really wanted one (& I’m still kinda mad that I don’t!).

A middle name was like a “secret” name, and everyone wanted to know what everyone else’s was. We wouldn’t ever call someone “First-name Middle-name” but they were still a cool thing to me & I felt like I was missing out on something by not having one.

The only fun thing about not having one was that I used to join in with the game “Guess my middle name” and smirk that “You’ll never guess it!” & sure enough I always won, because there wasn’t one!

I have known for a long time that my future children will have middle names, because I don’t want them to miss out on all the fun like I did.

[name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is [name_f]Rose[/name_f], which is a beautiful name, don’t get me wrong, but it’s so basic as a middle! I feel like half the women I know have [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as their MN. At school at one point there was 4 Ashleys in my class and the teacher couldn’t even call me [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] to differentiate because I wasn’t the only [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]! [name_f]My[/name_f] twin sister is [name_u]Allison[/name_u] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] and she also happens to know two other [name_u]Allison[/name_u] [name_f]Maries[/name_f]. That’s why I want my children to have names that aren’t super common so that they can avoid the same problems I had. I love hearing really uncommon, crazy middles, it absolutely delights me when someone with a fairly tame first name has a super unexpected middle, I feel like it really gives you a glimpse into their parents’ minds and personalities.