Middle names for Dotty and Maggie *Decision reached*

See the results of this poll: Which combination do you prefer for Dotty and Maggie?

Respondents: 125 (This poll is closed)

• Dorothea Imelda Pearl: 17 (14%)
  • Dorothea Cecily Pearl: 18 (14%)
  • Dorothea Cecily Mathilde (ma-TILD): 27 (22%)
  • Marigold Cecily Blythe: 12 (10%)
  • Marigold Imelda Blythe: 19 (15%)
  • Marigold Imelda Sylvie: 32 (26%)

[name]Hi[/name] Twinkle! I voted for [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Kizzy[/name] [name]Alouette[/name] and [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] (amazing), because they had the best flow to me. :slight_smile:

Take care! :slight_smile:

Twinkle,

I love [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] - it sounds so sweet and sophisticated! I also love that [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] has five syllables, like [name]Frances[/name] [name]Sofia[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Edmond[/name], and [name]Cyrus[/name] [name]Peregrine[/name]. I don’t think you have a five syllable combination with [name]Dorothea[/name]'s name, do you? Might you consider one?

I love [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] - it is really pretty, spunky, playful, and elegant. I’m odd and like that [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] begins with two C’s, so I thought It’d be cute to have another two syllable J name to match [name]Juniper[/name] for [name]Dorothea[/name]'s name - a way of connecting the two…

[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Jacinth[/name] ([name]Jacinth[/name], Greek, “hyacinth flower”)
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Jacquelle[/name] ([name]Jacquelle[/name], French, “supplanter”)
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Jasmine[/name] ([name]Jasmine[/name], Persian, “jasmine flower”)
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Jemma[/name] ([name]Jemma[/name], English, “precious stone”)
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Jolie[/name] ([name]Jolie[/name], French, “pretty”)

Another I thought of is [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] (meer-AY), as I think [name]Margaret[/name] captures the sweet innocence and tradition of [name]Charlotte[/name], while [name]Mireille[/name] captures the flavor and elegance of [name]Cecily[/name]. I suppose you could do [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Mireille[/name], too, but that’s a lot of French names - still very, very pretty! [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Margaux[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] is sweet, too.

(And, I still love [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Gladys[/name] and [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Gisele[/name], though, because a “The Importance of Being [name]Earnest[/name]” connection is so sweet!)

Another thing - since you both like [name]Kizzy[/name] so much, you could still use it as a nickname for one of the twins! My parents use a nickname for me that has nothing to do with my real name ([name]Birdie[/name] for [name]Lauren[/name]), and it is kind of cool! So, if you end up with a twin with red hair, or one who is sweeter than pie, or one that really likes cinnamon, maybe [name]Kizzy[/name] should be her nickname… :wink:

Good luck!

Twinkle, I don’t think you could possibly choose the wrong name! I am just so in love with the names of your children! [name]May[/name] I just ask how you are pronouncing [name]Peregrine[/name]? My friend and I have had an “if ever we meet a man named [name]Peregrine[/name], we will marry him instantly” pact, (obviously with polygamous arrangements in place in case we happen to meet him simultaneously) since we were fifteen. Our fiances have been given due warning. However, we were told yesterday we were pronouncing it incorrectly!

My vote goes to [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] (I may steal that, in fact) and any of your [name]Dotty[/name] combos :slight_smile: Your little girls will be so happy one day to know that each of their names have such special personal meanings!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Dorthea[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Alouette[/name] and [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]. They’re gorgeous!

Aw! I’m so glad you went with [name]Dorothea[/name] and [name]Marigold[/name]! I think they are darling!

When it comes to middle names, [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] has the best flow to my ears.

I think of the combos you have for [name]Dorothea[/name], I like [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Kizzy[/name] [name]Alouette[/name] the best. I love [name]Alouette[/name] so I definitely vote to have that in there somewhere! I’m not a huge fan of [name]Kizzy[/name], but I think it adds an extra quirkiness that [name]Dorothea[/name] might otherwise lack next to your other children’s names.

Good luck to you! :slight_smile:

Thank you all, as always, for your lovely comments and thoughtful responses!

[name]Lemon[/name], I love the idea of having five syllables in the middle again, but I also love the idea of using [name]Alouette[/name] … I shall have to talk it over with DH :slight_smile:

Phia, I adore the name [name]Peregrine[/name], and am so glad to find a kindred spirit! It is a family name on DH’s side, although unfortunately the only living relative with DH as his fn is in his eighties, so I cannot offer you a husband! We pronounce it peh-ruh-grin.

Thank you all, and more opinions are always appreciated!

Twinkle,

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Alouette[/name]? I know it is supposed to have an “ah” sound at the end, but I like to end it with -ette. The French would scorn me for sure…

What is it that you both love about [name]Alouette[/name], specifically? Is it the bird theme, the sound, the look?

In French, the ah sound at the end of [name]Alouette[/name] is very faint. Everything in French is the way it’s easier to say it (probably like that in most languages, actually). So when you say [name]Alouette[/name] your tongue should hit your two front teeth on the T and the faint “ah” sound is just you finishing that sound up… does that make sense at all?

The “ah” sound is very exaggerated in the song “[name]Alouette[/name]”.

In French, the ah sound at the end of [name]Alouette[/name] is very faint. Everything in French is the way it’s easier to say it (probably like that in most languages, actually). So when you say [name]Alouette[/name] your tongue should hit your two front teeth on the T and the faint “ah” sound is just you finishing that sound up… does that make sense at all?

The “ah” sound is very exaggerated in the song “[name]Alouette[/name]”.[/quote]

Yes, that makes more sense. So, would you consider that end sound more an aspiration or an expression of breath rather than a full-throat sound? I just like to say it as if it has three syllables rather than four…

I think [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Aimee[/name] [name]Alouette[/name] might be pretty. I like the meaning behind [name]Aimee[/name].

[name]Love[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] - I have never seen such a beautiful name! (except of course for my [name]Gwendolyn[/name] :P).

I had a hard time choosing between [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Kizzy[/name] [name]Alouette[/name] and [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Alouette[/name]. I love the symmetry of [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name] - in style and dessert. [name]Kizzy[/name] wouldn’t ordinarily be my style but I like how it fits in with your brood and adds a little frivolity to the straight-laced [name]Dorothea[/name] (although [name]Dotty[/name] an [name]Alouette[/name] do that too so are we getting too much frivolity??). And [name]Kizzy[/name] [name]Alouette[/name] is 5 syllables as I don’t think [name]Alouette[/name] is pronounced with the same emphasis on ett-uh as it is in the song.

This is difficult because my two favourites are [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]. Obviously you can’t use cecily for both of them.

I think the end of [name]Kizzy[/name] runs together too much with the start of [name]Alouette[/name] so that rules out two for me. And the other two don’t flow very easily for me either. They sound just a little stilted compared to the easy flow of cecily charlotte (despite all its S’s ) and [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Cecily[/name].

I’d go with either:
[name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Kizzy[/name]
(These two are sort of a reflection of each other. [name]Marigold[/name] is a less soft sounding, more playful first name with two classic, soft mn’s whereas [name]Dorothea[/name] is a classic, soft first name with two spunkier sounding, playful mn’s with a slightly harder sound.)

Or this way round.
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Marigold[/name] [name]Kizzy[/name] [name]Pomona[/name]
I’m sorry I can’t fid a way for [name]Alouette[/name] to ft because you seem to love it but it just doesn’t flow right with your other choices to me.

not to complicate things, but I actually like [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Alouette[/name] as it integrates the food and nature/plant themes in your other children’s names.

And for [name]Marigold[/name] I like [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Pomona[/name] [name]Cecily[/name]

but any combo you choose will be beautiful, all the names are so beautiful

Well that’s how we’re pronouncing it too! That’s too bad you don’t have a future husband for me, I shall have to live with the one I’ve got! :smiley: Good luck naming your girls!

On the subject of [name]Alouette[/name], we are pronouncing it ah-loo-ett. In the song, the last syllable is exaggerated to make it more lyrical, and easier to pronounce.

We like it for several reasons - partly because of the soft sound (a priority for DH), partly because of the -ette ending (I tend to like -ette names), partly because it is a French word, and I lived in [name]France[/name] for part of my childhood, have strong ties to the country and am still bilingual (I speak to our children in French only a little less than I do in English), and partly because I really do worry about [name]Raffy[/name] being the only one without a name connection to the twins.

We have had another idea, to replace [name]Alouette[/name]. DH and I both like [name]Giselle[/name], and it has the J sound of [name]Juniper[/name]. I thought it would be perfect, as I presumed that it would somehow be derived from ‘gazelle’ (an animal tie-in to [name]Peregrine[/name]), but on looking it up (Behind The Name) it appears I was mistaken … But it does sound like gazelle! [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Giselle[/name] and [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]?

Thank you so much for all of your opinions and suggestions!

Twinkle,

I understand that you have concerns about [name]Raffy[/name] having a nominal connection to the twins, but I personally think he has a connection in being their biological big brother. Sorry if that is insensitive, but I just thought I’d point it out…

So, you are pronouncing [name]Giselle[/name] in the French “gazelle” way? That’s fine by me, and I think it is a very pretty name. I still prefer [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Giselle[/name] and [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name], but maybe that is just me. I like the “eh” sound of [name]Gwendolen[/name] with [name]Dorothea[/name] more than the “oo” sound of [name]Juniper[/name].

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I see your point, [name]Lemon[/name], that the children will already have a connection, but I still would like to use a connecting name. We are not comfortable with the idea that we don’t have to provide a link to [name]Raffy[/name] because he is biologically related to the twins, whereas we do for [name]Rosie[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] …

That said, upon trawling through lists of bird varieties, I came upon a couple of things which have quelled my need to use [name]Alouette[/name] - the dotterel bird ([name]Dotty[/name]) and several gold- birds, such as the golden eagle and the goldfinch ([name]Marigold[/name]).

So, names have been re-jigged, yet again (sorry, everybody)!

[name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] is currently our favourite [name]Maggie[/name] combination and we are favouring [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] _____ and [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Pomona[/name] ______. What two-syllable name could go in that gap?

[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Pomona[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] jumped to mind, as I adore astronomy, or [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Tara[/name], as it means ‘star’ in Sanskrit, but is also an Irish name (I am part Irish), however we are very open to suggestions :slight_smile:

I love the idea, as a previous poster mentioned, of [name]Dotty[/name]'s mns having more spunk, so that [name]Marigold[/name] (spunky fn) has more classic middle names, and [name]Dorothea[/name] (classic fn) has spunky mns to balance everything out.

And [name]Lemon[/name], I really like the idea of keeping to five syllables in the middle.

Thank you all so much, once again!

[name]Hi[/name], Twinkle!

I definitely prefer [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] to [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Pomona[/name]. It seems to have better flow because it has a different end-sound, and I also like the natural connection to [name]Marigold[/name]'s name.

[name]How[/name] exactly do you want to connect her to [name]Raffy[/name]'s name? [name]Peregrine[/name] is Latin, while [name]Cyrus[/name] is Persian, so should I look in those domains? Or do you want a more overt connection? Here are some I really liked:

LATIN
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Cadence[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Fauna[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Janus[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Maris[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Sibyl[/name]

PERSIAN
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Jasmine[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]!
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] Mahdis
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] Negeen
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Shirin[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Suri[/name]

Another thing - [name]Peregrine[/name] means “wanderer” or “traveler.” You could use [name]Gypsy[/name], as this is a name meaning “Bohemian traveler.” [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Gypsy[/name] has a very whimsical, sassy sound to it that really appeals to me. Names meaning “wanderer” include [name]Dido[/name] and [name]Ksenia[/name] ([name]Xenia[/name]), but I don’t personally care for either.

Take care!

Oh, I love [name]Gypsy[/name]! I will have to ask DH, and I know that it won’t be many people’s cup of tea due to the bad press which modern-day gypsies get, but I think of old, painted wooden caravans and a bohemian lifestyle; I love it! [name]Suri[/name] is also beautiful, but I worry about the celebrity connection; do you think that it would matter in middle place?

[name]Lemon[/name], you and your suggestions are just so wonderful; thank you so much!

What do you think of [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Tara[/name]/[name]Lyra[/name], too?

Twinkle,

I’ve been wondering what your response to [name]Gypsy[/name] would be ever since I posted that, and I’m so glad you love it! I know Nameberry doesn’t give the best description of the name, but for me, it reminds me of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, a childhood favorite of mine. I used to “idolize” the female lead in the movie, [name]Esmeralda[/name], and she was a gypsy. [name]Gypsy[/name] just seems whimsical, intellectual, creative, and playful to me, and I absolutely adore the combination of [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Gypsy[/name] - it is so cute! Not to mention, I like that [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Gypsy[/name] have the same beginning sound…

I think [name]Suri[/name] is cute, too, and I don’t think the celebrity connection would get as much attention in the middle position, but it doesn’t come anywhere near to the “wow-factor” of [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Gypsy[/name]. Boy, I hope your husband loves that, too - it is quickly becoming one of my favorite combos on Nameberry (in addition to [name]Marigold[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name])!

As for [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Tara[/name], I really don’t like [name]Tara[/name]. Honestly, it is one of my list favorite names. It sounds hard and dated, and it isn’t a name that makes me smile - I don’t see it shining. And, it reminds me of [name]Tara[/name] Lipinski, a US Olympic [name]Gold[/name] Medalist in figure skating - sure, she is pretty impressive, but I was never a big fan. :wink: Anyway, [name]Lyra[/name] has quickly become on of my favorite new names, but I don’t think it has the best flow - [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] [name]Lyra[/name]. [name]Lyra[/name] just seems to hang off the end - am I the only one who thinks so? I also prefer a different end-sound, but, again, could just be me…

Take care - let me know what happens!