Middle Names For Violet

I have a character in my story right now, Violet. I need a middle name for her. She’s a very minor character, appearing as a child. The story is set between the two World Wars, so names that were popular during the 1920s - 1930s are needed.

Names I thought for her were:

• Violet Rose
  • Violet Aurora
  • Ivy Rose
  • Ivy Victoria
  • Violet Victoria

0 voters

Ivy was my first choice. However, Ivy seemed much better on another character. Ivy Rose is flowery but Ivy tones it down a bit, I feel. Violet Aurora was made out of frustration of not finding a name. I am now dead-set on Violet. I only need a middle name for her. Is Violet Rose too flowery, and Violet Victoria too alliterative? Violet Rose has been the top contender for quite some time now.

All of these names were inspired from here.

Criteria:

• Should be era appropriate
  • I want her name to amount to 26 letters, so four letter middle names are bonus.

Actually, while I do seek middle names for [name_f]Violet[/name_f], I have also decided to be open to new first names. You can suggest FNs as well as MNs for the character. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is still a candidate though. Criteria remains the same.

So far, I’ve liked:
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] are other options. I am not too keen on them. I like [name_f]Freya[/name_f] too but not sure about the era thing.

TIA

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] works. While I like the sound of [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], and while it did have use in the 20s, it would still feel quite unusual

Maybe…

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Irma[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Willa[/name_f]

[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Olive[/name_f]

[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_f]Beth[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

A few other ideas:

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Margo[/name_f] [name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u]

2 Likes

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] is the most memorable and sounds both realistic and a great character name. Knowing the story has a setting related to war the name [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] also makes sense.

I wanted to add that I like the interest the name [name_f]Violet[/name_f] (I think quiet/shy) contrasting with the name [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] (victory) which I see as more bold. It’s a lovely name.

1 Like

I agree.

Why didn’t I think of Anne/Anna or Mary before? That was so obvious. I think I might use either of the two. Cora is nice too. Love June, Jane Mavis and Opal but there are some problems with using it in the story. Nonetheless, thank you for your suggestions.

Mabel Flora, Mabel Clara, Victoria Anne, Victoria Lucy, Florence Eve, Florence Clara, Flora Mavis, Daphne Opal, Daphne Rose, Clara Mabel, Margot Flora, Lydia Alice, and Millicent Daisy are wonderful. I will think about them.

Yes. The story revolves around themes of victory and war, amongst other things. I love the name. However, the only thing that stops me from using it is that it is more than 26 letters. I’m trying to let it go but I can’t. Thank you for your input.

1 Like

Hmm it might be too modern but maybe
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Tori[/name_f] which has sounds a bit similar to victory?

You have lots of wonderful options!

1 Like