Middle names for . . .

We have a boy’s name picked out, now we just need help finding a middle name that works! We picked [name]Gaius[/name] (pron [name]Guy[/name]-us), it means rejoice in latin.

[name]Gaius[/name] ( ? ) “last name-3 syllable ending with er”

Any suggestions? I like ones that end in ‘n’ or ‘m’

What do you think about:

[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Willem[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Thurston[/name]/Thorston
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Vasili[/name]

any help would be much appreciated! (ps we don’t know what we are having yet, but we always choose a name for each gender, just in case!)

I like [name]Gaius[/name] [name]Thurston[/name] and [name]Gaius[/name] [name]Willem[/name]. I usually like fn and mn to have a different number of syllables, but both of those options work.

Other ideas:
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Jude[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Eduardo[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Lee[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]William[/name]

Because you haven’t named your baby yet, I just want to mention that although I love Latin/anceint names, I can totally (and unfortunately) see “[name]Gaius[/name]” being mispronounced as “gay-us” throughout your son’s life, both on purpose in school for teasing purposes, as well as accidentally by people who simply read it as gay-us. I knew of someone named [name]Gay[/name] who was teased, and the same goes for [name]Gaia[/name].

Edited to add: Have you thought about [name]Caius[/name], which is also Latin for “rejoice”?

Ending in n or m for [name]Gaius[/name]:

[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Julian[/name]
[name]Gaius[/name] [name]Raphael[/name] (different ending)

I’d personally stay away from middle names beginning with Th, because the s ending of [name]Gaius[/name].

Good luck and best wishes! :slight_smile:

I thought about people pronouncing it “[name]Gay[/name]-us”, and although the school kid scenario won’t be as bad because we homeschool/unschool, it would be hard to correct. But, I have had to correct everyone on my name and I still love it.

Maybe it could be spelled more “American” to help the pron?

Guyus Geius
Gaeus Gius
Guyous Gious

And I don’t think it would be too horrible as [name]Gay[/name]-us, as it means joyful as well. If people want to make fun of your name, they will find a way no matter what. My name is Aadel (pronouned Uh-del) and for years I was known as Deldo, Dill pickle, Dellywhopper, or [name]Farmer[/name] in the [name]Dell[/name]. You just get used to it, and get used to ignoring it.

I think your name is very pretty. :slight_smile: If you’re not bothered by the potential mispronunciation, that’s what matters. I just wanted to mention it, just in case it was something you hadn’t thought about! :slight_smile:

If you don’t mind the pronunciation issue, I’d personally stick with the authentic spelling, [name]Gaius[/name].

I’d avoid Gaeus as an alternative, because [name]Gae[/name] is another spelling of [name]Gay[/name] (I know of several women named [name]Gae[/name]). Of the different spellings, I think that Guyus is the most clear.

Good luck!

Thanks, I appreciate the advice!
It helps to have others speak up so you can think “Ok, will it really work, or do I just like the sound of it?”

[name]Gaius[/name] - I know that the -ai- is pronounced as -eye- but afraid the rest of the world will not. [name]Even[/name] though you may home school your children the fact they will live their own lives longer on their own they do with us remains true. I like Jills suggest of [name]Caius[/name] same sound with out potential teasing.

I am sure that most people would pronounce it as [name]Gay[/name] us. I think that is a burden for the child.

If the nn you had in mind was [name]Gus[/name] then [name]August[/name] and its variants would all suit.

Otherwise I would name him [name]Guy[/name] and this way there is no confusion.

[name]Guy[/name] [name]Willem[/name] sounds good, and it is I believe a much more manly combo.

If you love the meaning so much look for another name with the same meaning.