Middle of the Road Names for Rosalie's Brother

Having found out I’m pregnant this week, the baby name game has become much more real – and my husband and I are in desperate need of refurbishing our boys’ list! (We do not know the sex of the baby yet, but we are both feeling “boy” right now).

Boys have always been tricky for us. I realized half the problem is that I’m struggling to find “middle of the road” boy names. That is, so many boy names seem extremely boring – heard them a million times before – OR they are too “out there” or polarizing for my liking. So few seem to sit comfortably in the middle.

I feel like we hit that sweet spot with my daughter’s name, [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]. We liked [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] because it’s familiar but not too popular, and it’s a name that might be a bit surprising but also a name most people aren’t going hate. Maybe it’s not everyone’s style, but very few people would think, “You named your child THAT?” And that’s especially true with her even more accessible nickname, [name_f]Rosie[/name_f].

With boy names… goodness. Our journey has been a long one. If [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] had been a boy she probably would have been [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], which I think fit the “middle of the road” bill a few years ago but has since become a lot more popular. We now know several Theodores and probably won’t be using it. Then we looked to [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], which we like… but we think our preferred nickname “[name_u]Kit[/name_u]” is a bit of a stretch and it’s also a sort of polarizing name – people seem to love it or hate it. Same story with [name_m]Evander[/name_m] in my signature (not to mention my husband’s not a fan). Right now our top pick is [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], which again, I think fits our “middle of the road” criteria quite well but I’m not sure if I’m in love with it, and when I say “[name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_u]Sully[/name_u]…” out loud, it kind of sounds like I’m just mangling “[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f].”

Our newest addition to the long list is [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], but our last name starts with a B and I’m not sure that I love the alliteration. To top it off, our last name is two syllables and ends in -n, so most two-syllable-ending-in-n boy names sound very choppy with it (and there are a LOT of two-syllable-ending-in-n-boy-names).

We also quite like [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] but wouldn’t use it due to the Twilight connection (we are not fans and don’t want people to think we are, especially as we already have a [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]!). I’ve thrown around [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] and DH has thrown around [name_u]Finley[/name_u], but we’re not sold on anything.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any suggestions for us? We would love to hear them!

It’s funny because [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] was my first idea for you. [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] are also great options. I am not aware of any Twilight connection btw, I only think of [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] the stone. [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is great too!

Generally speaking, I’m hearing a lot of worry about whether the name will polarize others. I want to encourage you to dial those voices back a little so you can focus on finding a name you love!

[name_m]How[/name_m] about
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]?
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]

As an alternative to [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], how about [name_m]Beckett[/name_m] with the nickname [name_u]Kit[/name_u]? I do love [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] however.

Other ideas…
[name_u]Noel[/name_u]
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m]
[name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m]
[name_u]Asa[/name_u] nn [name_m]Ace[/name_m]
[name_m]Kipling[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruno[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_m]Russell[/name_m]
[name_m]Collin[/name_m]
[name_u]Barrett[/name_u] nn [name_m]Bear[/name_m]
[name_m]Holden[/name_m]
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u]
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]

I really like [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] with [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]! Here are some other thoughts:

[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_m]Anders[/name_m]
[name_m]Garret[/name_m]
[name_m]Marshall[/name_m]
[name_m]Willis[/name_m]
[name_u]Corbin[/name_u]
[name_u]Jensen[/name_u]
[name_u]Perry[/name_u]

Names outside of the top 100 but within the top 500:

[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]
[name_m]Preston[/name_m]
[name_m]Holden[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_u]Conner[/name_u]
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Franklin[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]

I love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] with [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]! I think [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is my favourite of those — same length, same softness and unexpectedness, and I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]Sully[/name_u] as a nickname (and think you’re overthinking the “[name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_u]Sully[/name_u]!” thing).

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] stand out to me especially from the suggestions so far.

You seem to like softer names which feel both fairly traditional but also unexpected, perhaps with a slightly quirky British vibe. With that in mind…

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]/[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
[name_m]Leander[/name_m]
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
[name_m]Fabian[/name_m]
[name_m]Finnian[/name_m]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Castiel[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassian[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m]
[name_m]Monty[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximilian[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_m]Leopold[/name_m]
[name_m]Leonard[/name_m]
[name_m]Ansel[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m]
[name_m]Ivo[/name_m]/[name_m]Ivor[/name_m]
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m]
[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_m]Horatio[/name_m]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]

[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and…

[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_u]Francis[/name_u]
[name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_m]Tolliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Fergus[/name_m]
[name_m]Percival[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

Edit: I took too long to write this list so most of them are repeats. Sorry about that!
So I’ll just reiterate my favorites with Rosalie: Edgar, Dorian, Alistair, Fabian, Phineas, Lionel, Sterling, and Maxwell.

Here’s some ideas based off of a few of the names you’ve previously considered (Theordore, [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], [name_m]Conrad[/name_m], [name_m]Evander[/name_m], [name_u]Finley[/name_u])
And also keeping inmind you don’t want to alliterate and most names ending with -n are out.

[name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u] (1 of 2 names ending with -n that I’ll suggest)
[name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m] (out of the top 1000 but not too out there? Similar vibe to [name_m]Atticus[/name_m])
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Fritz[/name_m]
[name_m]Fabian[/name_m] (2 of 2 -n names)
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]/[name_m]Westley[/name_m]
[name_m]Julius[/name_m] ([name_u]Jules[/name_u]/Jools are nice nns. Not suggesting as it’s an -n ending, but [name_m]Julian[/name_m] could be a less polarized choice)
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m] (more middle of the road than [name_m]Atticus[/name_m])
[name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m]
[name_m]Clive[/name_m] ([name_m]Clive[/name_m] [name_u]Owen[/name_u] helps make this a familiar choice)
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] (as the given name instead of [name_m]Charles[/name_m])
[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]/[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] (too boring?)
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m]

I love [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]; such a pretty name!
I have a son named [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]; we call him [name_m]Raddie[/name_m] quite a bit, which is cute with [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]! Our others sons are [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] “Bash” and [name_m]Truett[/name_m] “[name_u]True[/name_u]”; [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] may be too common for you now, but some other names I really like that sound great with [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] are:
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] “[name_u]Toby[/name_u]”
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m] “[name_m]Mac[/name_m]”
[name_m]Winston[/name_m] “[name_u]Win[/name_u]”

Best wishes!

I’ve always felt the same about boy names. So many bore me. So many are too strange I worry my son would end up defending his name his whole life.
Also I pushed hard for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] when pregnant with my 1st son (born in 2015) and by time I was pregnant with son #2 (born 2 months ago) I knew 3 young Theodores.
Anyway, I love [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] for you. Other ideas: [name_m]Forrest[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u] or [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Eugene[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], [name_m]Niles[/name_m], [name_m]Heath[/name_m], [name_m]Paul[/name_m], [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m].

Sorry for any repeats.
In 2017, [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] ranked #236 in the Top 1000 USA name list. (Source: ssa.gov). Based on this number, what about…
[name_m]Matias[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Killian[/name_m]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Brooks[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximus[/name_m] (less popular than [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] + cute nn [name_u]MAX[/name_u])
[name_m]Marcus[/name_m]