MILEY!... Like/hate? Use/diss? ... has cyrus bruised it?

Personally, i’m not a fan of [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]… But i dont hate her

But, for me, the names got her stamped all of it…

I liked this name when i was very young (about 5, so in the mid 90s) But when my sister started to watch hannah montana, the name totally went to… BLAH! lol

what about you? whats you fault

Hmm, I didn’t know it was an actual name before [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]. My daughter’s obsessed with [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name] and suggested the name [name]Miley[/name] for the baby we’re expecting…we nixed it right away.

[name]Miley[/name] is an awesome name, as is [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]. I dont get why people hate her, but then again every actor/singer has fans and haters.

I’d never heard it used as a name before [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]. I personally think it’s awful since it’s completely connected to the singer and sounds so juvenile. Plus it’s what I call my male cat sometimes ([name]Milo[/name]). So I’m not a fan.

yh it is a proper name. i think Latin or something x

yh it is a proper name. i think Latin or something x[/quote]

Eh, I don’t think so…not in that form, anyway. Maybe it’s a nickname for [name]Miles[/name] or something. But I don’t think it’s been around for that long as a full girls’ name.

It IS an actual name, i found it on a site and it said it was a male name meaning soldier or merciful (its indeed Latin). Other form is indeed [name]Miles[/name] but the name [name]Miley[/name] is a name on its own like [name]Finn[/name] is from [name]Finley[/name]/[name]Griffin[/name]…

Not all sites are reliable. In fact, most aren’t. Behind the Name is a very good source for correct etymology; here’s what they say about [name]Miles[/name]:

[name]MILES[/name]
Usage: English
Pronounced: MIELZ, MIE-?lz [key]
From the Germanic name [name]Milo[/name], introduced by the Normans to [name]England[/name] in the form [name]Miles[/name]. The meaning is not known for certain. It is possibly connected to the Slavic name element mil meaning “gracious”. From an early date it was associated with Latin miles “soldier”.

[name]Miley[/name] is absolutely not a Latin name; it may be a diminutive for [name]Miles[/name], but it’s not exactly a name in its own right.

IrisRose is right, not all sites are reliable. I can’t even find a site saying it’s a Latin name… The closest i can find to it being an actual name, is it being a phonetic spelling of the Hawaiian word [name]Maile[/name], meaning vine.

[name]Every[/name] other source that I can find says [name]Miley[/name] is an American invented name, invented by [name]Billy[/name] [name]Ray[/name] for his smiley baby. I’m not saying that’s negative, but it’s a far cry from being an old Latin name.

It’s definitely possible that it’s been used as a nickname for [name]Miles[/name] or [name]Milo[/name]. But that’s not like [name]Finn[/name], because [name]Finn[/name] McCool is the greatest hero of Irish mythology and his full name was [name]Finn[/name]. Im not sure about the etymology of [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Finnegan[/name], etc. But i know that [name]Griffin[/name] is unrelated.

If [name]Miley[/name] was invented why did Charmed have a character named [name]Mylie[/name] in 2005? I know [name]Miley[/name] is older but im not sure if there was mentioning of her back then considering the writing and shooting of the series.

The site i found it was YeahBaby, i dont know if that site is reliable but i found it by accident when i went looking.

I was just refering as [name]Finn[/name], as a name on its own like [name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Lily[/name] which can be nn for [name]Griffin[/name], i didnt said it came from that name!
I think [name]Miley[/name] can come from [name]Miles[/name] but it is a name on its own, i dont think its invented as [name]Renesmee[/name] is for example.

It is true that it is popular (or not, as you see it) because of [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] but its not because the association that you have to see it as invented or a bad name. Heck then id have to hate every [name]Kevin[/name] and [name]Bellatrix[/name]!

I dont mean to attack anyone, its just that the name was older then [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] famous is and [name]Billy[/name] [name]Ray[/name] did not invent it.

I looked on yeahbaby.com, and I wouldn’t trust it’s listing for [name]Miley[/name]. It doesn’t even mention that it is a girls name, and it says it’s never been in the top 1000! Not exactly accurate.

[name]Just[/name] because [name]Miley[/name] has been used, doesn’t mean it’s an old Latin name! It is quite likely that it’s been used as a diminutive of [name]Miles[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Mila[/name], etc. If you really want to get to the bottom of it, ask [name]Abby[/name] over at AppelationMountain.net to make it name of the day.

And another thing, invented does not equal bad. [name]Shakespeare[/name] invented several names, [name]Wendy[/name] was invented for [name]Peter[/name] [name]Pan[/name]. Does that mean it had never been used as a nickname for [name]Gwendolen[/name]? No, it was probably used on occasion, but J.M. [name]Barry[/name] is credited with inventing it. That’s just the way it works.

Okay I know some people are saying it’s an old Latin name or something, but, my question to you is. Would you name your child [name]Miley[/name]? Cuase I see it’s looks pretty written down ,but, would you ever use the name?

[name]Just[/name] really quick, i would like to say, i do not believe that they are saying that [name]Billy[/name] [name]Ray[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] invented the name [name]Miley[/name] himself, in all actuality, [name]Miley[/name] is not her birth name, he birth name is [name]Destiny[/name] [name]Hope[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name], and [name]Miley[/name] was just a nickname for her because she always smiled, so they called her smiley miley. She legally changed her name when she wa slike 15 or something. But anywho, just because a name is invented doesnt mean it was recently invented, I’m sure the name [name]Miley[/name] has been used before [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name], and will be used after, for those who like the name. I agree that it more then likely became an affectionate nickname for [name]Miles[/name], probably way back when, when boys went by very feminine nicknames. Then someone thought it a better girls name and used it as such. And it became [name]Miley[/name], the girls name. However it doesnt have any real ethnic or cultural meaning it is infact a made up name.

And jus tlike the previous poster mentioned, alot of names are invented names, [name]Wendy[/name] is a great example.

Now to the originial poster, i personally do not like [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] or the whole [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name] thing. And unfortuantly i have yet to meet anyone else or know of anyone else named [name]Miley[/name], so all i thin of is [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]/[name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name], which for some is a good thing, and for me, its not. I also dont see the name as a name that can age with a child, i see it as a very cutsie affectionate name. I personally wouldnt use it, but if you love it, you love it! and go for it! :slight_smile:

Devinjes said what I meant. Lol.

The question in the subject is, has she bruised it? For me, she not only bruised it, but beat it to death and then kicked it while it was down. [name]Even[/name] if you liked the name before Miss [name]Cyrus[/name], it’s hers now. Use it if it’s the only name you like, but no matter when you started liking it, your child will be associated with [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name]. Period.

I agree on everyone but the poster right above me, id say she didnt chose to be named [name]Miley[/name] but then she kinda did (but hey id be rather [name]Miley[/name] than [name]Destiny[/name] [name]Hope[/name]) but its not her fault she was given that nickname. Yes she bruised it, as does everyone else you know with there name. A bully named [name]Kevin[/name]? You’ll hate the name [name]Kevin[/name]/have negative associations. btu hey everyone has there own opinions.

I liked [name]Miley[/name] before [name]Cyrus[/name] and I like it even better because of her. Ill one day give my second daughter this as a middle name, no matter what.

I think the name will be associated with [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name]/[name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] for a long time. [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] aside, I’m not a big fan. Its ok I suppose. But it is a made up name. When all else fails, I look up a name on Behind the Name to see its origin because the site has been recommended by other baby name websites. On that site, this is what it says about [name]Miley[/name]:
[name]MILEY[/name]
Usage: English (Modern)
Pronounced: MIE-lee [key]
In the case of child actress and singer [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] (1992-), it is a shortened form of the nickname Smiley, given to her by her father because she often smiled.

So, I’m convinced that its made up. There’s also the fact that I hadn’t heard it before. I don’t know if anyone else had.

All names are invented sometimes, that doesn’t really bother me. However, it sounds quite trendy and that’s why I wouldn’t use it even though I find it cute. I would use it as a nickname, for let’s say [name]Mildred[/name], [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Melissa[/name], [name]Melanie[/name] etc.

I’ve met multiple [name]Miley[/name]/[name]Mylee[/name]'s before anyone even knew who [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] was. Unless they were huge [name]Billy[/name] [name]Ray[/name] fans - which I seriously doubt -, I don’t see them even knowing about it.

As to your question, I would not use it. To me, it’s juvenile and if I had to choose a juvenile sounding name, I’d go with [name]Molly[/name]. It does sound nice and cute but her face is all I see. Not to diss her as a person, actress or singer (I am one of those people who will roll down my car windows and belt out Party in the USA when I’m with my friends) but I don’t want people to say, “Like [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]?” anymore than if I named my kid [name]Renesmee[/name] and everyone was like “What the F?”

I do agree that not everyone will like the name or associate it with her, but that is with sooo many names.

I am one of those few poeple who think its a compliment or a positive thing to be associated with MC, but i understand many adult people dont like the name.